• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chief rabbi freezes all conversions to Judaism in protest of planned reforms

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Any resemblance of modern Israel to the time when the Pope overruled monarchs is not coincidental. I've excerpted what to me are the key points removing all the bits about who is claiming what.

Chief rabbi freezes all conversions to Judaism in protest of planned reforms

Kahana’s proposed legislation would allow for conversions outside the auspices of the Chief Rabbinate, authorizing municipal rabbis to supervise the process.
Lau’s authorization is currently required for all conversions in the country. Halting the process will impact two significant segments of the population — immigrants from Ethiopia and from the former Soviet Union. Some members of these two groups require Orthodox conversion to be recognized as Jewish in Israel.
Converts to Judaism who move to Israel whose conversions are not recognized by the Chief Rabbinate cannot marry in Israel, as the rabbinate controls marriages. Reform and Conservative conversions performed in Israel have not been recognized for years.
Kahana was recently provided additional security due to threats he has received over his plans to reform issues of state and religion.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Kahana’s proposed legislation would allow for conversions outside the auspices of the Chief Rabbinate, authorizing municipal rabbis to supervise the process.
I am curious how it affects a couple to be married but not recognized. What is the advantage in having the marriage officially recognized in the country?

Well, that does it...I'm not converting,
nor am I moving to Israel.
You're already married, so it doesn't affect you unless of course it changes the personality of the voting republic in the state of Israel. Then it might affect us all.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I looked up some more info. Religious marriages of non-Jews is governed by the respective religions authorities and rules.

Marriage in Israel - Wikipedia

In my opinion, this is more evidence that Israel is a state heavily influenced by religious extremism, rigid dogma, and discriminatory practices. It certainly isn't the Middle East's bastion of secularism and freedom that some claim it is.