• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheetahs being re-established in India.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
After 75 Years, Cheetahs Return to India in a Grand Experiment.
After 75 Years, Cheetahs Return to India in a Grand Experiment

I find this interesting for a couple of reasons. One, I had no idea cheetahs were previously found in India. And two, it may help save a species in decline due to reduced genetic diversity. Learning we take from that could benefit is in many and unusual ways.

I suppose that sometimes cheetahs do prosper.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Wonderful. I hope it turns out well for them and their human neighbors. Now let's bring back the lions to Europe. Screw Heracles. :rolleyes:
It is tongue in cheek and I know I sound irreverent, but some of these things might help our population issues and improve our species. It could be what we need to fight obesity in the states.

I do hope it succeeds as well. It would go a long way for us to learn how to stabilize dwindling populations and to co-exist with them.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That is a consideration, but they are going into a large national park. Not that animals recognize borders or anything, but I would imagine it will act as a buffer to constant contact with people.
Fingers crossed. It's like the move years ago for NYS to reintroduce bears into the area. There's enough of them in southern NY as it is by PAs border.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's their land, too. Humans need to to learn how to behave around wild animals and to share the land with them. Big cats and other native predators are very important to the ecosystem.
They are, but is it too many big cats?

I guess that's a matter really left up to India's residents.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is a consideration, but they are going into a large national park. Not that animals recognize borders or anything, but I would imagine it will act as a buffer to constant contact with people.
The parks have electrified boundaries. We pay excellent compensation for deaths, USD 62,500 (a nice sum in India). So much so that people are known to have pushed their elders in the park area.
However, Cheetahs are welcome. A few questions, will they survive, will they let others survive (what infections are they bringing in from Namibia?).
Kuno National Park is a 133 sq. mile territory, buffer zone is 357 sq. miles, dry deciduous. The main predators occurring in the protected area are Indian leopard, jungle cat, sloth bear, dhole (Indian wild dog), Indian wolf, golden jackal, striped hyena and Bengal fox. Ungulates include chital, Sambar deer, nilgai, four-horned antelope, chinkara, blackbuck and wild boar. So, Cheetahs have sufficient competition, they will need to be active and vigilant.
They are, but is it too many big cats?
Yeah, wild life conservation is doing very well in India. Lions, tigers, rhinos, elephants, etc.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Big cats and other native predators are very important to the ecosystem.
And so beautiful and graceful. And still very much cats. I'm surprised the lions in Africa haven't pushed all the trees over, lol.
Bobcats are probably one of the better examples to demonstrate the difference between a wild and domestic cat. Certainly plenty of house cats are are about as big or bigger than a bobcat, but the wild in the bobcats makes it incomparable dangerous compared to a house cat. Even the largest of alley cats wouldn't much mess with a bobcat.
Amd from there the wild just get bigger. Jaguars and tigers are two are my favorites, but I'm less scared of a tornado in my area than I would be such cats within dangerous proximity. Ones a roulette of odds where you'll probably be ok, with plenty to do to help keep you safe. But the other likes to play rough, scratch things and eat and easily scared and angered. Just like a cat. Except big enough to do something to us about it.

Shaul

Premium Member
For this to work the old adage can't be true that "cheetahs never prosper".:D