• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Hebdo cartoon on dead Syrian child sparks anger

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Many moons ago in one of my graduate courses we discussed how satire is often missed by those who cannot precisely parse current ideas and subtle meanings and inferences.

In other words, if you don't "get it," you're likely to be offended for a misunderstanding.
When I did a term paper on South Park, I came to realize that many people do not get the show, and what they see is the crude language, graphic violence, and crude/juvenile sexual content. What they aren't seeing is the more complex ideas that are just below the surface waiting to be unpacked by the viewer who stays up-to-date with current events and can see what is going on beyond the surface level of things such as Cartman's anti-Semitic and Machiavellian world view. I've come to realize the same thing with the Boondocks, where I have heard many people denounce it as stupid, yet they are unaware of the social references and stereotypes being brought up, or how every character is a satirical portrayal of various character "archetypes" found throughout African/American and Euro/American culture.
It's kinda like the cartoon Metalacalypse. It's making fun of metal head stereotypes, really hard in some cases, but even as a metal head I love the show and find it very funny because it's all a bunch of satirized stereotypes, the good and the bad, incorrect "outsider" views of metal, and even the advanced levels of technical skills and precision of death metal play a part in the larger satire-arc of the show.

Curious George

Veteran Member
The carton reads “What would little Aylan have grown up to be? A groper in Germany."

If that's Okey to you, then it's your opinion which i regard as a filthy one as the carton is,
sorry that's my opinion and that's my feelings which has not to annoy you, i'm just expressing
my feeling that such work is immoral regardless of where did that child come from.
I did not say that it is okay with me. I only tried to explain what the cartoon was expressing. You do understand by now, yes?

Crypto2015

You just listed all the reasons they should continue publishing. The world needs organizations with the balls to display satire and then acquiescence with cowardice when appropriate.

Public cowardice in the face of tyranny exposes abject bullying and its consequences.

Cowardice doesn't help. The whole media cowers in fear at the idea of drawing Muhammad. Has that helped?

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Many moons ago in one of my graduate courses we discussed how satire is often missed by those who cannot precisely parse current ideas and subtle meanings and inferences.

In other words, if you don't "get it," you're likely to be offended for a misunderstanding.
Let it be the one someone like me to misunderstand it. I guess notorious communities will get the satire here. My dearest mom is having some fun at Paris right now,enjoying her last days. If she is blown off with a bomb,I know to whom I should put the blame on. I am sorry but it does hurt more when you are inside the game.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Let it be the one someone like me to misunderstand it. I guess notorious communities will get the satire here. My dearest mom is having some fun at Paris right now,enjoying her last days. If she is blown off with a bomb,I know to whom I should put the blame on. I am sorry but it does hurt more when you are inside the game.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Marc.

You do bring a good point. The concerned artists know that there are some fanatic fools out there looking for the slightest provocation to bomb everything on sight as long as they get to whom they see responsible. It is common sense to not provoke a lion, for example, by even getting close to the cubs, or at least do it alone not with someone else with you. Knowing what could happen and avoid what could trigger it is the right thing to do. Freedom of speech should be moderated with such possibilities.

I don't think CH are cowards for not drawing prophet Muhammad (pbuh) again. It is true that the artists of the previous assault didn't deserve it, but what makes it even worse, others with absolutely no relationship, even with the artists, got hurt in the process.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Cowardice doesn't help. The whole media cowers in fear at the idea of drawing Muhammad. Has that helped?
It doesn't help. If anything, it enables the behavior of the terrorists who realize they can scare us into changing our ways. We live in an era and society where everyone claims to be brave and stand on conviction, and in these times it is crucial to stand firm on your convictions and not let the terrorists scare us into changing our ways, which is exactly what they want. We must not let them have this. It may come with risks, but these are the times in which we must take risks to preserve our freedoms.
I guess notorious communities will get the satire here.
You don't have to be "notorious" to get it. However, you do have to be aware of the situations, what has been going on, and be able to pick up on the novelty of viewing the ordinary through an extraordinary lens. You don't even have to think the cartoon is funny to get it, or to appreciate what the cartoonists are doing.
If she is blown off with a bomb,I know to whom I should put the blame on. I am sorry but it does hurt more when you are inside the game.
The thing is, this isn't even a Muslim issue but an immigrant issue. The Muslim issue is when one of the few real nasty ones wave their black Daesh flags, recruit lone operatives or send operatives, and kill people because they obsess with a line from the Quran that says to make war with infidels. This seems more to be an issue of immigrants, and especially the way the officials have handled this situation. The "official" responses and handling include telling women "advice" they hear on a constant and regular basis to doing nothing about it because it's become such a politically charged and highly partisan issue.
The cartoon may be one simple picture, but the message is not simple, and it evokes a serious discourse that we in the West need to be having. It may be that we need to send a very strong and very clear message that the incoming Syrian and other refugees will behave themselves and respect our ways, accept the fact we are not governed by religion, accept that they can't harass "infidel" women (or men), and if they can't respect the rules then they can expect to be deported. We can't condemn all immigrants over the actions of a few, but we shouldn't be expected to tolerate actions like we have seen. And those who failed to act on the knowledge such things were going on, they too should face consequences, including being charged with aiding and abetting, being an accessory to crime, and anything else that can be thrown at them because their failure directly put others at risk and allowed for the attacks to continue.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Marc.

You do bring a good point. The concerned artists know that there are some fanatic fools out there looking for the slightest provocation to bomb everything on sight as long as they get to whom they see responsible. It is common sense to not provoke a lion, for example, by even getting close to the cubs, or at least do it alone not with someone else with you. Knowing what could happen and avoid what could trigger it is the right thing to do. Freedom of speech should be moderated with such possibilities.

I don't think CH are cowards for not drawing prophet Muhammad (pbuh) again. It is true that the artists of the previous assault didn't deserve it, but what makes it even worse, others with absolutely no relationship, even with the artists, got hurt in the process.

Sorry guys, my above post was for the sub-topic of cowardice related to older events, not the main topic regarding the emigrants.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For the first time in this forum,I so disagree with you. Cartoons are not for artistic reasons but politics. That cartoon simply humiliated immigrants. A baby ( look at his clothes,how well dressed he was, as prepared by his mom to integrate into euro culture)
I don't think the cartoon was directed toward the immigrants; I think it was directed toward anti-immigration citizens.

The message I take from it was something like "if you think adult Syrians are all awful people, why are you so upset about a dead Syrian child? He was spared growing up to be someone you would hate."

IOW, it's about the hypocrisy of established Europeans.

Wirey

Fartist
I don't think the cartoon was directed toward the immigrants; I think it was directed toward anti-immigration citizens.

The message I take from it was something like "if you think adult Syrians are all awful people, why are you so upset about a dead Syrian child? He was spared growing up to be someone you would hate."

I'd agree with this. It is also pointing out that the entire Syrian refugee affair is being managed based on emotional reactions rather than intellectual ones. That said, it is still tasteless, although my finding it tasteless doesn't negate any portion of he message being relayed.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It isn't me who's assuming but the haters do.

Cologne Mass Sex Assaults: There’s no evidence that the molesters were refugees — And besides, women should stay away from them!

https://westernrifleshooters.wordpr...and-besides-women-should-stay-away-from-them/

That 'website' (and I'm using the term loosely) merely links off to other stories. Which of the linked stories do you have an opinion on, and what is your opinion? Is there an actual point in any of these trash articles you think worthy of discussion?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Aha, that was smart.
Many idiots may buy it.