• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chanting AUM

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
What is the correct pronunciation when chanting "AUM"? I've heard different versions.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A is an 'uh' sound as in 'up' or 'son' - Phonetically 'ə'
U is an 'oo' sound as in 'hoot' or 'tune' - Phonetically 'ü'
M is the yummy sound, as in Campbell's Soup's "Mmm Mmm Good", but probably with less inflection. :D

So əüm.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I concur with Salix. One reason it has become 'om' is that when the three sounds are blended really quickly, that's what it sounds like. In order to notice the 3 sounds, one has to chant it more slowly. As you do that, start with teeth apart, and slowly touch the teeth together so the vibration resonates in the cranium similar to the resonating of a tuning fork.

Martin

A is an 'uh' sound as in 'up' or 'son' - Phonetically 'ə'
U is an 'oo' sound as in 'hoot' or 'tune' - Phonetically 'ü'
M is the yummy sound, as in Campbell's Soup's "Mmm Mmm Good", but probably with less inflection. :D

So əüm.

Yes, thanks, that's basically what I've been doing, I wanted to check I was doing it right. Currently I'm doing sets of 7 at regular intervals throughout the day, it's an interesting practice. There's a real feeling of connection at times, particularly outdoors in the natural world.

Martin

I concur with Salix. One reason it has become 'om' is that when the three sounds are blended really quickly, that's what it sounds like. In order to notice the 3 sounds, one has to chant it more slowly. As you do that, start with teeth apart, and slowly touch the teeth together so the vibration resonates in the cranium similar to the resonating of a tuning fork.

Interesting point about touching the teeth together, I'll try that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hard to describe, gotta hear it. I think this is the closest one can get to the proper pronunciation in these videos. I hear a sort of awwwmmmm but not a dragged out awww as in “aw, how cute“ (hey, it’s early :D).

At about :04

At about :07

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, thanks, that's basically what I've been doing, I wanted to check I was doing it right. Currently I'm doing sets of 7 at regular intervals throughout the day, it's an interesting practice. There's a real feeling of connection at times, particularly outdoors in the natural world.
Fun in a cave too.

Martin

Do people have a specific purpose in mind when chanting this mantra? Or is it better to keep an open mind?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The purpose is to start a connection with the eternal (to connect to, like dialing a telephone number), what you do outdoors, none other IMHO. Though that can be done indoor also. :)

Martin

The purpose is to start a connection with the eternal (to connect to, like dialing a telephone number), what you do outdoors, none other IMHO. Though that can be done indoor also. :)

An interesting choice of word. It's been interesting noticing the nuances of that sense of connection - sometimes with something deeper, sometimes with something bigger, and sometimes both.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:D Yeah, each word should have meaning, the exact meaning, that is how words should be used, not just a salad. :D

It is none other than yourself. "Tat twam asi" (That you are).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The universe hums. Just as white is the combination of all light, Aum is the combination of all sound. So we're tuning in to the rhythm of the universe as a whole.
Chandogya Upanishad called 'Aum' as 'Udgita', the song. I say 'the song of life'.

Martin

The universe hums. Just as white is the combination of all light, Aum is the combination of all sound. So we're tuning in to the rhythm of the universe as a whole.

I get that sense of being "in tune", or at the same frequency (in some sense), but I don't understand how the universe could literally make a sound - it's a vacuum!

Or is it more like : "If Brahman were a sound, it would be Aum"?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I get that sense of being "in tune", or at the same frequency (in some sense), but I don't understand how the universe could literally make a sound - it's a vacuum!

Or is it more like : "If Brahman were a sound, it would be Aum"?
If you go to a park in a big city, where you can't see any traffic or other noise, you'll hear it. By universe. I meant including all earths.

Martin

If you go to a park in a big city, where you can't see any traffic or other noise, you'll hear it. By universe. I meant including all earths.

I haven't experienced that in remote places, just an absence of sound - silence. Though of course even in remote places complete silence is unusual.
Anyway, I don't think the Upanishads are talking about sound in the literal sense of something you actually hear. I think it's deeper than that.

Last edited: