• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge to Shi'ah: Status of Abu Bakr

Yaqub

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

From among the deviated 72 sects in the Ummah are the Shi'ah. They accuse the senior companions, such as Abu Bakr, 'Umar, and 'Uthman, of hypocrisy, or having otherwise apostasized from the religion of Islam after the Prophet's (peace be upon him) death.

In respect to Abu Bakr, who was the most senior companion of the Prophet (peace be upon him), regarding whom, the Prophet said:

"If I were to take a Khalil (intimate friend) from among mankind, I would have taken Abu Bakr."

The Shi'ah, however, accuse Abu Bakr of having been, God forbid, a hypocrite or an apostate. They accuse him of having usurped the caliphate, which rightfully belonged to 'Ali ibn Abi Talib, among other baseless allegations.

However, despite the large number of authentic ahadith expounding upon the virtues and status of Abu Bakr, the Shi'ah of course reject the ahadith contained in Sunni literature. Therefore, I wish to prove the exalted status of Abu Bakr straight from the Holy Quran.

If ye help not (your leader), (it is no matter): for Allah did indeed help him, when the Unbelievers drove him out: he had no more than one companion; they two were in the cave, and he said to his companion, "Have no fear, for Allah is with us": then Allah sent down His peace upon him, and strengthened him with forces which ye saw not, and humbled to the depths the word of the Unbelievers. But the word of Allah is exalted to the heights: for Allah is Exalted in might, Wise. (9:40)

According to all commentators, including prominent Shi'ah commentators, the two people who were in the cave were the Prophet (peace be upon him) and his beloved companion, Abu Bakr. The blessed verse is referring to the incident of the Prophet's migration from Makka to Madinah. He was accompanied by Abu Bakr during this dangerous journey. They were being pursued by the unbelievers, who had designs to kill the Prophet (peace be upon him). The Prophet and Abu Bakr took refuge in a cave. However, Abu Bakr, out of his utmost concern and fear for the Prophet's life, became anxious and worried, lest the unbelievers should find them. Then the Prophet (peace be upon him), reassured Abu Bakr that Allah is with them, as mentioned in the blessed verse: Inna Allaaha Ma'ana "Verily, Allah is with the two of us."

If, as Shi'ah allege, Abu Bakr was, God forbid, a hypocrite or an apostate, why did the Prophet (peace be upon him) say, as quoted in the Holy Quran itself, that Allah is with both of them. My challenge is, is Allah ever with the disbelievers, hypocrites, apostates, or any category of evil people? I think the obvious answer is: No! Allah is only with the believers! That means, yes, Abu Bakr was a believer.

Yaqub

The following are three prominent Shi'ah learned scholars and commentators of the Holy Quran. Each of them have mentioned that the companion of the Prophet who was present with him in the cave, as mentioned in the blessed verse (9:40), was none other than Abu Bakr:

Allamah Tabataba'i:
والمراد بصاحبه هو أبو بكر

Allamah Tibrisi:
يعني أنه كان هو وأبو بكر

Allamah Tusi:
وهو ابو بكر في وقت كونهما في الغار من حيث { قال لصاحبه } يعني ابا بكر

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
Yaqub, you quote hadith in favour of Abu Bakr yet you neglect to mention the hadith in support of Ali (as):

"For whoever I am his Leader (mawla), 'Ali is his Leader (mawla)."

"O' God, love those who love him, and be hostile to those who are hostile to him."

Also at Ghadir Khumm:

After his speech, the Messenger of Allah asked everybody to give the oath of allegiance to 'Ali [a] and congratulate him. Among those who did so was 'Umar b. al-Khattab, who said:
"Well done Ibn Abi Talib! Today you became the Leader (mawla) of all believing men and women."

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
It is my understanding that even Sunni hadiths support the Shia position by saying that Imam Ali was blessed by the prophet with his mantle saying: Allah's wish is to purify you, people of the house, and vouchsafe you from sin and impurity. The Sunni hadith also agrees by saying: Ali is like a rope to paradise and whoever clings to this rope will follow it until he reaches paradise. Also, Muhammad said all his sucessors would be from Quaraiysh his own tribe. Where all the Sunni rulers from Quaraiysh? :no: All the twelve Imams were from Muhammad's line through Lady Fatimah.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Unfortunately many of the Non shia Muslims are wahabis...
There are among them also those supporting alqaeda...

So when talking to a non-Shia Muslim, one need to keep mind that it's likely that this non-shia be one of the above menitoned groups...

Those groups don't believe in dialogue...
So it's waste of time to talk with them...
look how they kill the shia every where...

Also the dispute between Shia and Sunnis is more than 1400 years old.
everything has been said...
one needs to read there are more than enough information for decision taking.

This man who call him self Yaqub...
I was not optimistic about him since the begining when I saw his Avatar sign...
Big knife or Sword (And they claim to represent the religion of peace) ...Also what looks like the Saudi Arabia flag...

Who does not know what Saudi Arabia stands for...
He exploited himself by this post...
and we should not waste our time with him...

As for the verse he has cited...
Even if we assume it's on Abu-Bakr

it only condemns Abu-Bakr:
lets see:

If ye help not (your leader), (it is no matter): for Allah did indeed help him, when the Unbelievers drove him out: he had no more than one companion; they two were in the cave, and he said to his companion, "Have no fear, for Allah is with us": then Allah sent down His peace upon him, and strengthened him with forces which ye saw not, and humbled to the depths the word of the Unbelievers. But the word of Allah is exalted to the heights: for Allah is Exalted in might, Wise. (9:40)

So the verse is saying that Allah SWT " sent down His peace upon" his messenger and not upon Abu-Bakr.

ًWhile in another verse Allah say that he sent his peace upon the believers when "they swore allegiance":

Allah was well pleased with the believers when they swore allegiance unto thee beneath the tree, and He knew what was in their hearts, and He sent down peace of reassurance on them, and hath rewarded them with a near victory;
سورة 48 - آية 18

Yaqub

Yaqub, you quote hadith in favour of Abu Bakr yet you neglect to mention the hadith in support of Ali (as)

We Sunni Muslims also believe in and love 'Ali (رضى الله عنه). You are assuming we are against him, which is simply untrue. He was a beloved companion of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, and guess what, he himself pledged his allegience at the hands of Abu Bakr, the first caliph of Islam.

And by the way, mawla has so many different meanings in Arabic language, it means friend, ally, saint, etc.

Mawla also means master, lord, protector, guardian, and thats why Allah is also called as Mawla in the Quran.

Yaqub

Also, Muhammad said all his sucessors would be from Quaraiysh his own tribe. Where all the Sunni rulers from Quaraiysh? :no: All the twelve Imams were from Muhammad's line through Lady Fatimah.

Abu Bakr, 'Umar, 'Uthman (may Allah be pleased with them) were all from Quraysh, as was Mu'awiyah رضى الله عنه.

Yaqub

This man who call him self Yaqub...
I was not optimistic about him since the begining when I saw his Avatar sign...
Big knife or Sword (And they claim to represent the religion of peace) ...Also what looks like the Saudi Arabia flag...

And have you seen the flag of Iran (a Shi'a country), it has three swords in the flag. And have you seen the flag of Hizbullah (or should I say Hizbush Shaytan), the terrorist Shi'a group in Lebanon, it has a GUN in its flag.

As for the verse he has cited...
Even if we assume it's on Abu-Bakr

it only condemns Abu-Bakr:

The verse says that INNA ALLAAHA MA'ANA (Allaah is with the two of us), how is that in any way a condemnation? Rather, I challenge you and any Shi'ah on the face of the Earth to show me ONE VERSE from the Holy Quran where Allaah says He is with any evil person! QUL HATOO BURHANUKUM INKUNTUM SAADIQEEN!

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
We Sunni Muslims also believe in and love 'Ali (رضى الله عنه). You are assuming we are against him, which is simply untrue. He was a beloved companion of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, and guess what, he himself pledged his allegience at the hands of Abu Bakr, the first caliph of Islam.

And by the way, mawla has so many different meanings in Arabic language, it means friend, ally, saint, etc.

Mawla also means master, lord, protector, guardian, and thats why Allah is also called as Mawla in the Quran.

I didn't say you were against Ali (as) however I pointed out that you neglected the majority of hadiths which were in favour of Ali over Abu Bakr.

As for Ali swearing allegiance, he had no option. He was too busy worrying about burying the Prophet (saw) and looking after his wife, something the other companions didn't seem to bother with.

Yaqub

I didn't say you were against Ali (as) however I pointed out that you neglected the majority of hadiths which were in favour of Ali over Abu Bakr.

There isnt a single hadith from the Sunni books which says Ali رضى الله عنه is favoured over Abu Bakr. Rather, as the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم mentioned: "If I were to take a Khaleel, I would take Abu Bakr." ِAnd with regard to 'Umar رضى الله عنه he said: "If there was to be a prophet after me, it would be 'Umar."

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
There isnt a single hadith from the Sunni books which says Ali رضى الله عنه is favoured over Abu Bakr. Rather, as the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم mentioned: "If I were to take a Khaleel, I would take Abu Bakr." ِAnd with regard to 'Umar رضى الله عنه he said: "If there was to be a prophet after me, it would be 'Umar."

I wonder why that is? To legitimise Abu Bakr's caliphate perhaps?

Yaqub

I wonder why that is? To legitimise Abu Bakr's caliphate perhaps?

I take it you belong to the Ibaadhi sect. If I'm not mistaken, your sect also acknowledges Abu Bakr رضى الله عنه has the first caliph of Islam. And with regard to Ali رضى الله عنه, your sect (being an offshoot of the Khawaarij) condemn him for seeking to make arbitration with Mu'awiyah رضى الله عنه

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
We do accept him as the first caliph, however the facts show that the first Caliph should have been Ali as the Shia say. Just because history didn't play out that way doesn't change the fact.

And we are not an offshoot of the Khawarij.

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
You accept him as the first caliph but the facts show otherwise? How exactly does that work?

He was the first Caliph, but obviously the Prophet (saw) wanted Ali to be it. I think that is fairly self-evident.

Whatever you say...

I know as a Wahabbi you won't believe me when I say we are not Khawarij but it's a fact. Our belief and practices are completely different.

Yaqub

He was the first Caliph, but obviously the Prophet (saw) wanted Ali to be it. I think that is fairly self-evident.

No actually I don't think it is fairly self-evident. If the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wanted 'Ali to be his immediate successor, than 'Ali would have claimed that right, especially if he knew it was the will of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. After all, 'Ali was a brave man who always stood up for justice, he didn't fear anyone in that regard, including Abu Bakr. If 'Ali felt he should be the Prophet's immediate successor he would have definitely acted upon that feeling. I refuse to believe that 'Ali رضى الله عنه who has the title of Assadullaah (Lion of God) was such a coward that he would not speak up in this matter.

The Rafidhah Shi'ah, of course, believe that 'Ali was observing taqaiyyah (dissimulation), and was hiding his true beliefs. However, a true believer who has firm faith in what he believes in would never want to hide his faith.

Furthermore, when the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was ill and could not lead the prayers in Masjid un Nabwi, who did he appoint as the Imam?? none other than Abu Bakr رضى الله عنه

I know as a Wahabbi you won't believe me when I say we are not Khawarij but it's a fact. Our belief and practices are completely different.
Study the early history of your sect, you can't deny your roots. Yes, in modern times, the Ibaadhis have reformed their beliefs and practices, but you cannot deny the origin of your sect is as one of the many factions of the ancient Khawaarij.

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
No actually I don't think it is fairly self-evident. If the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wanted 'Ali to be his immediate successor, than 'Ali would have claimed that right, especially if he knew it was the will of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. After all, 'Ali was a brave man who always stood up for justice, he didn't fear anyone in that regard, including Abu Bakr. If 'Ali felt he should be the Prophet's immediate successor he would have definitely acted upon that feeling. I refuse to believe that 'Ali رضى الله عنه who has the title of Assadullaah (Lion of God) was such a coward that he would not speak up in this matter.

The Rafidhah Shi'ah, of course, believe that 'Ali was observing taqaiyyah (dissimulation), and was hiding his true beliefs. However, a true believer who has firm faith in what he believes in would never want to hide his faith.

Furthermore, when the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was ill and could not lead the prayers in Masjid un Nabwi, who did he appoint as the Imam?? none other than Abu Bakr رضى الله عنه

Study the early history of your sect, you can't deny your roots. Yes, in modern times, the Ibaadhis have reformed their beliefs and practices, but you cannot deny the origin of your sect is as one of the many factions of the ancient Khawaarij.

Ibadiyyah developed at the same time as the Khawarij, they didn't develop out of it. There are many studies online that attest to this.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

The verse says that INNA ALLAAHA MA'ANA (Allaah is with the two of us), how is that in any way a condemnation? Rather, I challenge you and any Shi'ah on the face of the Earth to show me ONE VERSE from the Holy Quran where Allaah says He is with any evil person! QUL HATOO BURHANUKUM INKUNTUM SAADIQEEN!

As I said before, I know you wahabis and Salafis, don't seek dialogue, and I know your religion very well...

I'll reply to this point only so that other members knows the truth about the verse...

The answer is on this verse of the Quran...
سورة المجادلة - سورة 58 - آية 7

الم تر ان الله يعلم ما في السماوات وما في الارض ما يكون من نجوى ثلاثة الا هو رابعهم ولا خمسة الا هو سادسهم ولا ادنى من ذلك ولا اكثر الا هو معهم اين ما كانوا ثم ينبئهم بما عملوا يوم القيامة ان الله بكل شيء عليم

Hast thou not seen that Allah knoweth all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth? There is no secret conference of three but He is their fourth, nor of five but He is their sixth, nor of less than that or more but He is with them wheresoever they may be; and afterward, on the Day of Resurrection, He will inform them of what they did. Lo! Allah is Knower of all things.

So Allah is with any two persons ... even if one of them is Abu-Bakr...
All of this is based on the assumption that it's Abu-Bakr who was with the Prophet (Peace be upon him, Ali, Fatimah and the 11 Imams from their progeny that we are proud to follow).

And you did not reply to the point why Allah SWT said that he sent down his peace upon him and did share Abu-Bakr with him.

And don't try to be a follower of Both Ali (Peace be up on him) and Abu Bakr...
They are two conflicting lines ....

These two lines lasted till today, and It was not Only the Battle of Karbala and the battle of Camel which happened between these two Lines...

Yaqub

The answer is on this verse of the Quran...
سورة المجادلة - سورة 58 - آية 7

So Allah is with any two persons ... even if one of them is Abu-Bakr...

Yeah, if you are saying Surah 58:7 refers to the secret meetings of evil people, in that case you are insulting none other than the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم for having a secret meeting in the cave with Abu Bakr رضى الله عنه!!!

All of this is based on the assumption that it's Abu-Bakr who was with the Prophet (Peace be upon him, Ali, Fatimah and the 11 Imams from their progeny that we are proud to follow).

That's the assumption of your own scholars, like Tabataba'i, Tibrisi, and Tusi!! There is no doubt by both Sunni or shi'ah scholars that it was Abu Bakr رضى الله عنه who was in the cave with Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم. If, God forbid, Abu Bakr was a hypocrite or disbeliever, why did the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم trust him with his very life, as they were only two of them throughout the entire Hijrah!! It shows Abu Bakr is a true believer and the most beloved Sahabi of Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم.

And you did not reply to the point why Allah SWT said that he sent down his peace upon him and did share Abu-Bakr with him.

Actually, the blessed ayah says that Allah sent down His Sakeenah (Divine Tranquility) upon Abu Bakr رضى الله عنه. That's what the context of the verse proves as well.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Sahih Muslim 31:5955

'A'isha reported that Muhammad went out one morning wearing a striped cloak of the black camel's hair that there came Hasan b. 'Ali. He wrapped him under it, then came Husain and he wrapped him under it along with the other one (Hasan). Then came Fatima and he took her under it, then came 'Ali and he also took him under it and then said: Allah only desires to take away any uncleanliness from you, O people of the household, and purify you (thorough purifying)