• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge for those that believe in billions of years for the age of things. Give anything that is more than 6000 years old. NO ASSUMPTIONS ALLOWED.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
You can get snarky all you like but, responding to posts - (what you call "butting in") -- is part of the game ?

You then assert that I made "Confused and incorrect assumptions" but provided no support for this claim. To the contrary , it was you who incorrectly asserted that I had argued that a literal interpretation of scripture was required to gain salvation - when I had done no such thing.

When this incorrect assertion and strawman fallacy was pointed out - you accuse me of " asserting some sort of Futile dominance" ..but is this not what you are doing in making false accusations .. putting words in the mouth of the other ?

"
I made no incorrect assertion and no straw man fallacy. You butted into a conversation without knowing what it was about.

My personal assessment is that you have a need to dominate no matter how trivial it is, regardless of what another posted or without concern of whether you are right or not.

I hope this is your last word. I don't need anything else from you on the subject. But if I'm correct, it won't be.

Last edited:

Sargonski

I made no incorrect assertion and no straw man fallacy. You butted into a conversation without knowing what it was about.

My personal assessment is that you have a need to dominate no matter how trivial it is, regardless of what another posted or without concern of whether you are right or not.

I hope this is your last word. I don't need anything else from you on the subject. But if I'm correct, it won't be.

This is loopy .. you say - "My Personal Assessment is that you have a need to dominate no matter how trivial it is" -- this something someone looking in a mirror says .. as what is such a comment if not to do exactly what you are accusing the other of doing ?

and yes .. you did make an incorrect assertion -- claiming I had argued that a literal interpretation of scripture was required to gain salvation -- when I did no such thing .. by definition strawman fallacy .. "and let that be the last word as I need naught else from you on the subject But if I am correct - it wont be" is silliness on top of strawman fallacy and personal invective ..

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Actually it's early modern English despite all the thees and thous. Makes me wonder what the defining point between middle and modern English was? Sorry, unrelated side tangent :)
I find it interesting as to how words are properly formed in the mouth now. It becomes an art form to understand this, some people seem to be naturally gifted in learning how to speak a second language properly. Meantime I don't think gorillas have the ability to form words physically like most humans do.

YoursTrue

Actually it's early modern English despite all the thees and thous. Makes me wonder what the defining point between middle and modern English was? Sorry, unrelated side tangent :)
I believe it is a relevant point but another subject perhaps. From what I understand, there are certain words in early Hebrew texts biblically that are not understood today. When I come across them I'll let you know.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I find it interesting as to how words are properly formed in the mouth now. It becomes an art form to understand this, some people seem to be naturally gifted in learning how to speak a second language properly. Meantime I don't think gorillas have the ability to form words physically like most humans do.
" Research and work with Koko, and other gorillas, has revealed that great apes have language skills similar to small children."

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ

Gorillas don't have the physical capabilities to form the same vocalizations that humans do, just like humans can't really form the same vocalizations that that other animals are capable of

YoursTrue

, Gorillas don't have the physical capabilities to form the same vocalizations that humans do, just like humans can't really form the same vocalizations that that other animals are capable of

No contest from me. However, :)-- I surely hope in reality you are not going to contest the intellectual differences between man and gorilla. Regardless of vocalization. I find it a bit amazing that someone would argue over this, even though this is a debate section.

YoursTrue

" Research and work with Koko, and other gorillas, has revealed that great apes have language skills similar to small children."
No books, no computers they have invented. No cars...no supermarkets. No matter how long they live and how many generations passed. Something must be left out. From them and "homo sapiens" :)

YoursTrue

I find it interesting to say the least that some would attempt to explain that gorillas and monkeys or whatever can learn primitive words as if this means...what? Because the in-betweens between gorillas and humans aren't there. In my opinion the difference is vast. Sure humans can't breathe underwater like fish do. Fish are different than humans. As well as gorillas. They have different marvelous qualities.

YoursTrue

Gorillas don't have the physical capabilities to form the same vocalizations that humans do, just like humans can't really form the same vocalizations that that other animals are capable of

One more thing before I go...I believe from the Bible that Adam was told to have in subjection the animals of the earth. He was put in a peaceful place. But that didn't last because of his willful actions. Hopefully in the future men and animals and the environment will be in harmony and peace. This is what I believe and hope for. My hope and belief comes from the Bible.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
This is loopy .. you say - "My Personal Assessment is that you have a need to dominate no matter how trivial it is" -- this something someone looking in a mirror says .. as what is such a comment if not to do exactly what you are accusing the other of doing ?

and yes .. you did make an incorrect assertion -- claiming I had argued that a literal interpretation of scripture was required to gain salvation -- when I did no such thing .. by definition strawman fallacy .. "and let that be the last word as I need naught else from you on the subject But if I am correct - it wont be" is silliness on top of strawman fallacy and personal invective ..
I knew it. I knew you couldn't just let it go. You seem to have this need assert your dominance.

I never made an assertion that you claimed a literal interpretation of scripture was required to gain salvation.

The original statement I made in the ongoing discussion, before you butted in, was that I feel some people seem to believe that a literal interpretation of the Bible is required for salvation.

It was my assertion. Made in general. Not to you or about you. YOU weren't even part of the equation when I made that statement. The only mention of it to you I made was to repeat that I had made that general statement.

Apparently that triggered you.

I suspect this will not be over, but it should be.

Last edited:

Sargonski

I knew it. I knew you couldn't just let it go. You seem to have this need assert your dominance.

I never made an assertion that you claimed a literal interpretation of scripture was required to gain salvation.

The original statement I made in the ongoing discussion, before you butted in, was that I feel some people seem to believe that a literal interpretation of the Bible is required for salvation.

It was my assertion. Made in general. Not to you or about you. YOU weren't even part of the equation when I made that statement. The only mention of it to you I made was to repeat that I had made that general statement.

Apparently that triggered you.

I suspect this will not be over, but it should be.
Good that you feel some folks believe a literal interpretation of the bible is required for salvation . I am not one of those folks .. and indeed this is what triggered my response .. pointing out your error and strawman fallacy. .. and your comment to me was not made in general.. you were responding to my post .. something must have triggered you to assert that was my position in your response to my post which was full of other snark and venom . Don't know what it was though .. perhaps that someone "butted in" during an open forum post in an internet debate room.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find it interesting to say the least that some would attempt to explain that gorillas and monkeys or whatever can learn primitive words as if this means...what? Because the in-betweens between gorillas and humans aren't there. In my opinion the difference is vast. Sure humans can't breathe underwater like fish do. Fish are different than humans. As well as gorillas. They have different marvelous qualities.
In between? Humans and gorillas forked off from a common ancestor onto their own individual paths. If you follow the family line of a human, chimp and gorilla back, you won't find any any chimps or gorillas on the human line, or any humans in their lineages.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Good that you feel some folks believe a literal interpretation of the bible is required for salvation . I am not one of those folks ..
I never said you were.
and indeed this is what triggered my response ..
I know.
pointing out your error and strawman fallacy.
I made none. You created all that in your own mind from all evidence.
.. and your comment to me was not made in general..
It was made in general.
you were responding to my post
No. Not at all. This is just you trying to force things to fit how you want it to be.
.. something must have triggered you to assert that was my position in your response to my post which was full of other snark and venom .
You did all that work on your own.
Don't know what it was though ..
It was you and your own work product. You did it without any help from me. I don't know why you feel the needs you seem to. Not my problem.
perhaps that someone "butted in" during an open forum post in an internet debate room.
Butting in, assuming, asserting what others are thinking, telling them what they are thinking, all that stuff. Your posts are a textbook of this in my view.

You just cannot let this go without being on top. Classic.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I surely hope in reality you are not going to contest the intellectual differences between man and gorilla. Regardless of vocalization. I find it a bit amazing that someone would argue over this, even though this is a debate section.

No, there definitely are intellectual differences, but gorillas aren't persistence hunters like ancient mankind was. Pattern recognition, tool making, and leg structure designed for long distance running isn't unique to mankind, but it comes together in a way that favors the intelligence we've seen mankind developed in the fossil records and in the archeological dig sites of ancient humans and other hominids

I think some people put intelligence and mankind on a pedestal, as if it represents some kind of zenith. I don't share that notion, and I don't think mankind is nearly as special as we'd like to think we are. That kind of arrogance has lead to irreversible damage as we feel we have the right to harm nature, animals, or even other people because we assume them to be "lesser."

Seems counter intuitive to live in harmony with one's surroundings if they assume themselves to be above it

YoursTrue

No, there definitely are intellectual differences, but gorillas aren't persistence hunters like ancient mankind was. Pattern recognition, tool making, and leg structure designed for long distance running isn't unique to mankind, but it comes together in a way that favors the intelligence we've seen mankind developed in the fossil records and in the archeological dig sites of ancient humans and other hominids

I think some people put intelligence and mankind on a pedestal, as if it represents some kind of zenith. I don't share that notion, and I don't think mankind is nearly as special as we'd like to think we are. That kind of arrogance has lead to irreversible damage as we feel we have the right to harm nature, animals, or even other people because we assume them to be "lesser."

Seems counter intuitive to live in harmony with one's surroundings if they assume themselves to be above it
I recognize the fabulous qualities in living entities, including plants and chimpanzees, bees, things like that. Ok rocks too are wondrous but they're not living. I do realize that humans are different intellectually. Superior? In a way, yes. But gorillas can kill a man faster than a man can kill a gorilla bare handed. I do not think gorillas and ants have polluted the earth and air. Humans have. In other words, again...I believe there is a vast difference between humans, ants, bees and gorillas, etc. I really do not see these differing traits have necessarily evolved.

YoursTrue

Mankind has ruined the atmosphere, no doubt now in my mind. Did you know that the Bible says God will destroy those destroying the earth? That is in the book of Revelation. Also it was given to Adam to have the earth in subjection. Of course that was not to be since his being removed from his close relationship with God. Clearly humans to a large degree have failed, but I believe God will take action.
Revelation 11:18 ... "The nations raged, but your wrath has come, and the time for judging the dead, for rewarding your servants, the prophets and saints and all who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Mankind has ruined the atmosphere, no doubt now in my mind. Did you know that the Bible says God will destroy those destroying the earth? That is in the book of Revelation. Also it was given to Adam to have the earth in subjection. Of course that was not to be since his being removed from his close relationship with God. Clearly humans to a large degree have failed, but I believe God will take action.
Revelation 11:18 ... "The nations raged, but your wrath has come, and the time for judging the dead, for rewarding your servants, the prophets and saints and all who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

Meh. People have been destroying their surroundings since forever. It's not a modern phenomenon. God never stopped that or stepped in to stop it from happening in the past, so why would he start now?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Meh. People have been destroying their surroundings since forever. It's not a modern phenomenon. God never stopped that or stepped in to stop it from happening in the past, so why would he start now?
Yeap. I was reading just yesterday how the conventional wisdom is that the Mega Fauna of the last ice age were pretty much hunted to extinction.

YoursTrue

I believe God's wrath is coming. He isn't going to "start now", it will happen at His time and I believe it will. One reason is because I believe in God and I am happy it is written. Otherwise I might not know about it. (Revelation 11:18) Naturally this is my belief. :)