• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celibacy in marriage

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You know, I didn't ask you for marriage advice.
Maya

18 years is pretty good. My number is 37, so you have a ways to go. :) But yes, I still get 'advice' from people who have been divorced 3 times. In this case, from Ratikala's other posts, I don't think any condescension was intended, although it may have come across that way to you.

It can be annoying, but what is causing the 'annoying' .... them, or your mind?

But the whole idea of telling people how to live their lives, how to think, which terms to use, and more seems to be part and parcel of religion. Sometimes it's really just suggestions, or ideas being tossed out. Nobody has to listen to anyone. But it would be a waste of time to preface each statement with "In my opinion" or "Just a suggestion, but" . In my opinion, everything on here is like that.

Best wishes in a continued happy marriage. :)

Maya3

18 years is pretty good. My number is 37, so you have a ways to go. :) But yes, I still get 'advice' from people who have been divorced 3 times. In this case, from Ratikala's other posts, I don't think any condescension was intended, although it may have come across that way to you.

It can be annoying, but what is causing the 'annoying' .... them, or your mind?

But the whole idea of telling people how to live their lives, how to think, which terms to use, and more seems to be part and parcel of religion. Sometimes it's really just suggestions, or ideas being tossed out. Nobody has to listen to anyone. But it would be a waste of time to preface each statement with "In my opinion" or "Just a suggestion, but" . In my opinion, everything on here is like that.

Best wishes in a continued happy marriage. :)

Thanks, that is good to know. I hope I didn't sound too upset?

37, that is amazing, good for you! That is so nice. :)

Maya

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear maya ,

first I must say there was absolutely no intention to offend ,

but look at it this way , you did ask the question ,
A Case For Celibacy, Sobriety, and Sanity | elephant journal

What do you think about this? I know it's an ISKCON view and not a mainstream Hindu view. But how many people actually do this, both within ISKCON and in other traditions?
My personal opinion is that it is crazy. Really, it's too extreme.
and I answered by saying that I felt there was great benifit in celebacy , that is speaking from a personal perspective , so of course I dont find it extreme !
my personal opinion is that it a perfectly sane suggestion .

no tradition is telling you that you must abstain , it is simply a choice that one makes based upon ones perceived values .

there are many hindus who take the asrama system very seriously , also the idea of self dicipline ,if one is to surrender to the lord then one needs to be in control of the sences .

any how I will stop being so serious now we are allowed al little humour , :)
I think you CAN have your feet in two boots. It just takes longer.
yes it will take longer and you will get very wet ;) ....I said boats not boots ! :)

best wishes

Maya3

dear maya ,

first I must say there was absolutely no intention to offend ,

but look at it this way , you did ask the question ,
and I answered by saying that I felt there was great benifit in celebacy , that is speaking from a personal perspective , so of course I dont find it extreme !
my personal opinion is that it a perfectly sane suggestion .

no tradition is telling you that you must abstain , it is simply a choice that one makes based upon ones perceived values .

there are many hindus who take the asrama system very seriously , also the idea of self dicipline ,if one is to surrender to the lord then one needs to be in control of the sences .

any how I will stop being so serious now we are allowed al little humour , :)
yes it will take longer and you will get very wet ;) ....I said boats not boots ! :)

best wishes

You are right, I did ask the question, and I´m sorry if I offended you by my comments about it.

Maya