• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Catholics) Why do some Catholic churches do the wine drinking ceremony and other Catholic churches don't?

Why do some Catholic churches do the wine drinking ceremony and other Catholic churches don't? Some churches do it with the eucharist, but other churches don't do it at all. This happens during Holy Communion.

The consecration at Mass always involves wine. But the laity only need to take the host for a valid communion.
I've been to many Catholic churches across north America, Central America, and the Caribbean do the wine drinking ceremony and other Catholic churches don't.

It's called receiving Communion. It's not called "the wine drinking ceremony."

And the pastor of each parish decides whether to offer Communion under both kinds, so that's why it varies from parish to parish.
I think you misunderstand. Communion is the overall which includes the eating of the Eucharist ceremony (The Body) and drinking of the wine ceremony (The Blood). Some churches don't do the wine drinking. That is why I'm asking about this in this thread.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I think you misunderstand. Communion is the overall which includes the eating of the Eucharist ceremony (The Body) and drinking of the wine ceremony (The Blood). Some churches don't do the wine drinking. That is why I'm asking about this in this thread.

Semi-humorously, I'm willing to cut you some slack if English is your second language or you're a recent convert. If you're neither of these, you should know how to talk about Holy Communion in a way that doesn't sound foreign to Catholicism.

Anyway, I did answer your OP question, I hope it helps.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is factually incorrect.

1) "The Eucharist" refers to both consecrated bread and wine.

2) They are not distinct "ceremonies". The "ceremony" is the celebration of mass, which involves the consecration of both bread and wine and their consumption at communion by the priest and congregation, in fulfilment of Christ's command at the Last Supper.

In most day-to-day masses in the Catholic church, only the consecrated host (bread) is distributed to the people, the priest alone consuming the wine. This is simply for practical reasons, as it takes longer to give communion "under both kinds" and there are a lot of people queuing up at many masses. However on special occasions communion under both kinds can be offered, for instance to a couple at their nuptial mass, or on Maundy Thursday which commemorates the Last Supper, and so on. More here: Communion under both kinds - Wikipedia

In the Orthodox and Anglican churches, both are usually administered.

This is factually incorrect.

1) "The Eucharist" refers to both consecrated bread and wine.

2) They are not distinct "ceremonies". The "ceremony" is the celebration of mass, which involves the consecration of both bread and wine and their consumption at communion by the priest and congregation, in fulfilment of Christ's command at the Last Supper.

In most day-to-day masses in the Catholic church, only the consecrated host (bread) is distributed to the people, the priest alone consuming the wine. This is simply for practical reasons, as it takes longer to give communion "under both kinds" and there are a lot of people queuing up at many masses. However on special occasions communion under both kinds can be offered, for instance to a couple at their nuptial mass, or on Maundy Thursday which commemorates the Last Supper, and so on. More here: Communion under both kinds - Wikipedia

In the Orthodox and Anglican churches, both are usually administered.
Thanks for your input, but I still don't know why some churches drink the wine and others don't.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thanks for your input, but I still don't know why some churches drink the wine and others don't.
It's up to the local bishop and the parish priest. I've explained the rationale in my previous post. Here in the UK, offering the congregation the wine is exceptional, as it takes more time, requires more people to administer it, has a hygiene aspect (being banned during the covid epidemic, for instance) and there is the problem of potential spillage. Basically more things to go wrong and to worry about - and in any case not liturgically necessary.

But of course it's a nice thing to give both, when the occasion allows.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I've been to many Catholic churches across north America, Central America, and the Caribbean do the wine drinking ceremony and other Catholic churches don't.
It will depend on the circumstances of each parish. A valid Mass will always involve the consecration of both species (bread and wine). But it is not mandatory to offer the chalice to the congregation.

Why do some Catholic churches do the wine drinking ceremony and other Catholic churches don't? Some churches do it with the eucharist, but other churches don't do it at all. This happens during Holy Communion.
The Blood of Christ is not necessary to consume. As long as you consume the Body of Christ you’re fine. Theologically within the Catholic Church there were two sides, Franciscans and Dominicans, one said that both needed to be consumed, the other, the opposite, that only one needed to be consumed.

Council of Trent (Sess. XXI, c. i; XXII, c. i). (b) There is no Divine precept binding the laity or non-celebrating priests to receive the sacrament under both kinds (Trent, sess. XXI, c. i.) (c) By reason of the hypostatic union and of the indivisibility of His glorified humanity, Christ is really present and is received whole and entire, body and blood, soul and Divinity, under either species alone; nor, as regards the fruits of the sacrament, is the communicant under one kind deprived of any grace necessary for salvation.

Ignatius A

Why do you do this? People are telling you that's no what it's called but you keep saying it.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
**Mod Post**
This thread is in Same Faith Debates and is directed at Catholics.
If you are not Catholic, you may not participate in this thread.