• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Catholic League: Sexual Abuse Victims Attract Demons"

Skwim

Veteran Member
/
"The Catholic League’s Bill Donohue, commenting on a recent Atlantic article about the rise in requests for exorcisms, says that’s wonderful news. In fact, exorcisms could be most helpful for victims of sexual abuse, who are obviously possessed by demons.

bill-donohue-2.png

Exorcism Advocate Bill Donohue
Who are the most likely candidates for an exorcism? Approximately 8 in 10 are survivors of sexual abuse. [The Atlantic‘s Mike] Mariani explains why. “The exorcists — to be clear — aren’t saying sexual abuse torments people to such an extent that they come to believe they’re possessed; the exorcists contend that abuse fosters the conditions for actual demonic possession to take hold.”

From a Catholic perspective, this is daunting. It suggests that those who do such evil acts as sexual abuse create the fodder that attracts the devil to victimize the victim again. If this is true, the offenders are responsible for much more than molestation, and will have to answer for it.
From a human perspective, it’s troubling because it means there are Catholics who seriously think victims of abuse will suffer once again at the hands of supernatural forces after they’ve already been traumatized by real ones.

Abuse victims need counseling and actual help, not a priest whose sole job it is to eradicate evil that doesn’t even exist. It’s a solution to a problem of their own creation."
source

Gotta say, I thought Catholics did away with personal demons and exorcisms a hundred years ago. :shrug:

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
/
"The Catholic League’s Bill Donohue, commenting on a recent Atlantic article about the rise in requests for exorcisms, says that’s wonderful news. In fact, exorcisms could be most helpful for victims of sexual abuse, who are obviously possessed by demons.

bill-donohue-2.png

Who are the most likely candidates for an exorcism? Approximately 8 in 10 are survivors of sexual abuse. [The Atlantic‘s Mike] Mariani explains why. “The exorcists — to be clear — aren’t saying sexual abuse torments people to such an extent that they come to believe they’re possessed; the exorcists contend that abuse fosters the conditions for actual demonic possession to take hold.”

From a Catholic perspective, this is daunting. It suggests that those who do such evil acts as sexual abuse create the fodder that attracts the devil to victimize the victim again. If this is true, the offenders are responsible for much more than molestation, and will have to answer for it.
From a human perspective, it’s troubling because it means there are Catholics who seriously think victims of abuse will suffer once again at the hands of supernatural forces after they’ve already been traumatized by real ones.

Abuse victims need counseling and actual help, not a priest whose sole job it is to eradicate evil that doesn’t even exist. It’s a solution to a problem of their own creation."
source
Gotta say, I thought Catholics did away with personal demons and exorcisms a hundred years ago. :shrug:

Like the psychiatrist telling someone they have a mental illness or demon possession ! if the patient agrees then the dr has a mentally ill person demon possesed person agreeing witb the, dr. Whats that say about the doctor is he or she mentally ill as well in this case and demon possession? If the patient disagrees and obviously there are issues then whats that say about the patient? They clearly are lacking self awareness and as such to them nothing is wrong.

So yea therapy maube but rememeber thats treatment by one flew over the cucoos nest as well. The world is nutty not just religion.

Cooky

Veteran Member
/

bill-donohue-2.png

source

The best part about exorcisms is that they'e free of charge. Get yours today!

Cooky

Veteran Member
/

Oh, absolutely! And for those who bring this on to the little ones -Woah to them!

74x12

/

bill-donohue-2.png

source

Well it's not that they attract demons. What happens is that demons use fear, shock and extreme trauma to possess people. It's not because sexual abuse victims are bad people or something.

The point here is that demons will use any vulnerability and demons certainly are attracted to sexual predators. So they find sexual abuse victims easy targets unfortunately. Which in my view makes that crime so much the worse of a crime.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The best part about exorcisms is that they'e free of charge. Get yours today!

Basically the church is nothing more than a racket that dupes dopes with snake oil while molesting their kids. Sad that such a sorry establishment still has influence in the modern world.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Gotta say, I thought Catholics did away with personal demons and exorcisms a hundred years ago.
Laugh and sneer all you want, but demonic possession is very real (if infrequent). In fact, according to multiple priests involved the demand for exorcisms has been rising steadily.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Basically the church is nothing more than a racket that dupes dopes with snake oil while molesting their kids. Sad that such a sorry establishment still has influence in the modern world.

I beg your pardon, Sir, but the Catholic Church is "the largest non-government provider of health care services in the world. It has around 18,000 clinics, 16,000 homes for the elderly and those with special needs, and 5,500 hospitals, with 65 percent of them located in developing countries."
Catholic Church and health care - Wikipedia

...And you want to call the whole establishment a snake oil racket..?

Last edited by a moderator:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
/

bill-donohue-2.png

source
Gotta say, I thought Catholics did away with personal demons and exorcisms a hundred years ago. :shrug: .
Since psychiatry is one of the least exact sciences I don't think that Bill and his mates can do much harm, frankly.

I can see how a rape victim, man or woman, would be very badly troubled in various ways, possibly for life, and so where a victim is, say, a Catholic, then maybe they could be given a very effective release from the mental damage of being a rape victim through effective auto-suggestion induced by the process of an exorcism.

You see? Any way to a positive form of help is a good way.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Mornin' Dad! :D

Blimey, you're up early, which is maybe why you're so niggly about the whole of the Catholic Church throughout the whole world.

You may benefit from being reminded that although 4000 priests have been accused of sex crimes there are over 40,000 in the world and if 1% can destroy the characters of all then the leaders of your country in politics, commerce, industry, healthcare, travel et al don't stand a chance. Your prison and reform systems could (no doubt) produce a much higher % of wicked villains, I'm guessing?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Bill Donohue is losing the plot, he's an embarrassment. He is going senile and does more harm than good to the Catholic Church.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
/

bill-donohue-2.png

source

Prominent British Psychiatrist Doctor R. A. (I could name him by law here, but RF might prefer that I do not) was convicted of several token counts of rape after delivering hypnotherapy to 100's of selected victims and then having intercourse with them. His prison sentence was 8 years but I reckon that today he would get a life sentence.

When our psychiatry services are perfect then exorcisms may possibly not be so necessary.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Bill Donohue is losing the plot, he's an embarrassment. He is going senile and does more harm than good to the Catholic Church.

It might be good to point out that both Bill Donahue and the Catholic League are lay based, and are not officially representative of the Catholic Church.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You may benefit from being reminded that although 4000 priests have been accused of sex crimes there are over 40,000 in the world and if 1% can destroy the characters of all then the leaders of your country in politics, commerce, industry, healthcare, travel et al don't stand a chance.
They probably don't.

Your prison and reform systems could (no doubt) produce a much higher % of wicked villains, I'm guessing?
Yeah, our prison system creates far more problems than it solves.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It might be good to point out that both Bill Donahue and the Catholic League are lay based, and are not officially representative of the Catholic Church.
Oh, I know that...but he's always the idiot that gets wheeled out to defend the indefensible.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
They probably don't.

Yeah, our prison system creates far more problems than it solves.

What time is it where you are?
Are you sleeping alright?
Could you be suffering from any Demons, possibly?
Could we get that Bill Donohue bloke to arrange an exorcism? :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Oh, I know that...but he's always the idiot that gets wheeled out to defend the indefensible.

As long as I got payed enough I wouldn't mind getting wheeled out to defend indefensibles... I've got those same qualifications, and (hell!) we sure are messing up in the UK. :p

Earthling

David Henson
I beg your pardon, Sir, but the Catholic Church is "the largest non-government provider of health care services in the world. It has around 18,000 clinics, 16,000 homes for the elderly and those with special needs, and 5,500 hospitals, with 65 percent of them located in developing countries."
Catholic Church and health care - Wikipedia

...And you want to call the whole establishment a snake oil racket..?

How many orphanages?