• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinal Direction for Cubicle Work

Lord Havoq

Hello out there. I am not a practicing Hindu so I came here to ask for advice. One of the employees where I work has requested that we move his workstation so that he sit facing north. Does this request have any basis in Hinduism?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this request have any basis in Hinduism?

Actually it does. It's from something called vāstu śāstra (vaastu shaastra) an architechtural system. I don't know what his reason is for wanting to face north, there could be many reasons within vāstu śāstra. All I know of facing north, east or west is that one places their shrine so that they are facing one of those three directions, but never south, which indicates walking towards the land of the dead.

Edit: a thought I just had is if he is currently facing south, and it's not possible to orient him east or west, north is the only remaining possibility.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hello out there. I am not a practicing Hindu so I came here to ask for advice. One of the employees where I work has requested that we move his workstation so that he sit facing north. Does this request have any basis in Hinduism?
Whether or not it has any basis would be the least of my considerations if I were an employer. I would go by the psychology that a happy employee is a more productive one.

But yes, it does have a basis.

Lord Havoq

Hi Jainarayan,
Thank you for your explanation. I wanted to check since in the past 6 years he's sat in the same location/direction and recently made the request.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Jainarayan,
Thank you for your explanation. I wanted to check since in the past 6 years he's sat in the same location/direction and recently made the request.

He may have learned something in that time. A lot of us often put into practice new things we learned.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One of the employees where I work has requested that we move his workstation so that he sit facing north. Does this request have any basis in Hinduism?
No. It is superstition. Whether to accept the request or not is up to the organization.

There is a famous story of Sri Gru Nank Dev ji who happened to be sleeping with his feet towards West and a Moulvi (Muslim cleric) objected. Here, the story as it is told:

"Baitdaa Jaai Maseet Vichi Jidai Haajee Haji Gujaaree.
Jaa Baabaa Soutaa Raati No Vali Maharaabay Paai Pasaaree.
Jeevani Maaree Lati Dee Kayharhaa Soutaa Kudhar Kudhaaree.
Lataa Vali Khudaai Day Kiu Kari Paiaa Hoi Bajigaaree.
Tangon Pakarhi Ghaseetiaa Dhiriaa Makaa Kalaa Dikhaaree.
Hoi Hairaanu Karayni Juhaaree."

Now he sat in a mosque where the pilgrms (hajis) had gathered.
When Baba (Nanak) slept in the night spreading his legs towards the alcove of mosque at Kaba,
The qazi named Jivan kicked him and asked who was this infidel enacting blasphemy.
Why this sinner is sleeping his legs spread towards God, Khuda.
Catching hold of the legs he lynched (Baba Nanak) and,
lo and behold ! --The miracle, the whole of Mecca seemed to be revolving.
All got surprised and they all bowed.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-a-histo...chever-direction-the-feet-of-the-Guru-pointed

Mirza Ghalib (Ghalib‎, born Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan, 1797 - 1869), was a prominent Urdu and Persian poet during the last years of the Mughal Empire. He used his pen-names of Ghalib (Urdu: "dominant") and Asad (Urdu: "lion") - Ghalib - Wikipedia) said:

"Zahid sharab peene de Masjid main baith kar, ya woh jagah bata de jahan par Khuda na ho"
(Oh advisor, let me drink in Masjid or tell me a place where God is not present).

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No. It is superstition. Whether to accept the request or not is up to the organization.
I agree with @Aupmanyav that it is superstition.

While it may be superstition, such beliefs are real in a person's mind, and the mind controls the body. If an employee believes he will be more successful by having a desk pointed in a certain direction, he will likely be more successful if the desk is in that position and be less successful if the desk is pointing in what he believes to be an unfavorable direction. If it's not an unreasonable request, why not accommodate?

If someone has a job interview for a position s/he wants and believes that burning patchouli incense will bring wealth and carrying devil's shoestring will help aid them in getting the job, what's wrong with walking into an interview with the confidence that you have other forces working in your favor?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
'Superstition' is always open for debate. Many people would say belief in God is a superstition. I don't easily discount 'superstition'. There may be something to it. Not saying there is, just saying, 'Maybe. maybe not."

I'm with Salix ... not an unreasonable request.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh yes. It is a superstition, but many people so believe. If the organization does not have any problem with that, I will accede tp the request and :D.