• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you think of any situations where forced sterilization should be used?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What are some circumstances where people should be forced to undergo sterilization (if you can think of any)?

Raahim

مكتوب
I'm not sure what you mean with "sterilisation" (like castration?).
If so then I'd say when a person is found guilty of rape or paedophilia.

All the best

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Every 5 years people should be made to renew their procreation license, for a fee of $65. Failure to do so could result in a fine of $1,000 per day or forced sterilization.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what you mean with "sterilisation" (like castration?).
If so then I'd say when a person is found guilty of rape or paedophilia.

All the best
No, I didn't mean castration, but getting one's tubes tied perhaps

Liu

So the purpose would be to hinder the person from having offspring.
Well, that would be a way of avoiding children to be born with severe health issues if the parent has a genetic disease or another disease which would affect their children.

I'm not a big fan of forcing anything on anyone, but that seems like a comparatively justifiable reason.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm a drug addict and diagnosed schizoaffective bipolar. I should have no reproductive rights, eh?
It is my stance that no one has any rights as such.

Instead, we are granted gifts by others, and for largely political reasons those are often misdescribed as "rights".

If anything, that is particularly true of so-called reproductive rights. They are better described as "expectations of protection, respect and favor from others out of consideration for one's offspring".

So, by my perspective, you are in effect asking whether other people should deny you a modicum of consideration if you end up having offspring or attempting to.

And the only honest answer that I can give you to that is that it will depend entirely on how able and willing they feel in creating the necessary space to make you and your hypothetical offspring confortable.

That is probably something worth gauging before one makes such a decision.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
In the Hyperion books, everyone is implanted with some sterilization thingy. That's because they've basically figured out how to live forever, so obviously, you can't have everyone keep cranking out new babies if no one ever dies.

So, if we become immortal, that would be a good reason--- or, in some other way, exceed the population threshold that can be sustained by our planet. I mean, if there were irrefutable evidence that we cannot have more people on this planet, that might be a good time to start sterilizing people.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I think I might be in favor of forcing people to have a reversible sterilization until they are 21. (Not sure if such a thing exists-- wouldn't want it to be surgical, more like an implant.)

At 21, the sterilization is reversed.

Yes, this reduces personal freedom, no doubt. But I cannot see any benefit in someone less than 21 years old having a child.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
What are some circumstances where people should be forced to undergo sterilization (if you can think of any)?

Any place that has been at war for more than a year should pay
a social grant to people who volunteer to be sterilized.

Handing out food-parcels to over-breeders in the midst of war
is worse than just randomly shooting people.