• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we see God? (abrahamic version)

F1fan

Veteran Member
God is a proof for himself and is connected to all things.
In other words, the lack of proof means God doesn't exist. But can nothing be connected to anything?

Love can hold on to God and perceive him, while disbelievers call to doubt that is irrational, believers see God through the vision of the heart, through eyes of love.
How do they distinguish a real God from their imagination?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You seem to align towards the notion of God being more symbolic, and in that way it can be more meaningful.
I may have a different understanding of God than many others yes. To be honest i can at this point in my spirirual journey i can not say for sure if God only is spiritual or has some form of body. To try to understand God is one of the most difficult things i have ever tried to do :)

Clara Tea

According to the biblical story of creation, "God" = the creation via Light and as such, we all can see the evidences of god everywhere.
In the center of the Milky Way galaxy we can observe such a light and it´s starry surroundings and in the Sun wich co-creates every life on the Earth.
IMO, "God" isn´t a personal entity, but an universal force of Light. (And once upon a time in the Abrahamic religion, "he" also had a "female" partner, called Ashera. Which is natural as everything is created by two electromagnetic polarities.

I hope someone remembered to plug him in.

Clara Tea

There were several times when I was a Chrstian that I felt that I had experienced god's presence... There were also times when I was pursuing the path of pagan religions when I thought I experienced the presence of those gods as well. I never physically saw any of these gods with my eyes, though.

In retrospect, I would say that I had convinced myself that I felt god's presence according to the way my brain responded when certain chemicals filled my brain under these emotional circumstances. This seems like the most likely thing to me... Felt real enough at the time, though.

I'll drink to that.

Clara Tea

Can we see God?

What Christians Need to Know about Scientology

Link: Scientologists believe that removal of engrams (memories) will allow immortality.

If we see God in heaven, our memories might be erased. Therefore, we won't be able to remember seeing God. We won't even remember wanting to see God. We might have some vague memory of wanting to do something, but we won't be able to remember what.

The Link continues by asserting that L Ron Hubbard's biography was a total fabrication.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Quran also talked about that Mohammad (s) if he can connect disbelievers with a ladder to the sky he would do so to bring them a sign for certainty. The Quran else where says if God opened such a ladder to the sky and they ascended thereby they would say they were hallucinating rather sorcery (by Mohammad (s)) was done upon them.

But while God will not open the door to the sky/heaven for disbelievers because it will make them in a worse state, we been taught Du'as like Du'a Simaat that if we recognize God's Names or the Grand name of God, then the doors will open if we call upon God to open them. There are many Du'as to make us familiar with this concept because his names and signs are connected to all things and his names have per Du'a Kumail filled the foundations of all things. They are the prime essence of all things, in their core, all goodness is from God's light.

But there is higher stages of light and yearning for it is an obligation per many hadiths and Quran. It's not okay to not see the light of the Imam (a) and being blind to the proof of our age (ajf) per the hadith of Imam Hassan Al-Askari (a) explaining the blindness verse in Suratal Isra.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I may have a different understanding of God than many others yes. To be honest i can at this point in my spirirual journey i can not say for sure if God only is spiritual or has some form of body. To try to understand God is one of the most difficult things i have ever tried to do :)

God is an Essence but body usually has parts, so best to say he doesn't have a body.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is only through his signs that we can see God, but the signs are not just that he exists type. They are the type that is connected to revealing his glory, that is his light and names, that Du'as reveal was the secret of how Musa (a) saw God.

The proof in Quran that it's required to see his beauty and majesty, for one, Suratal Isra says those blind in this world are blind in the next. The type of signs on the day of judgment disbelievers will see and know God exists, is one, and accept his Messengers, but the type they are veiled to is his beauty/majesty type signs, his light, and despite the utter display of God's power and their awareness of God being right, the Quran says they will be veiled with respect to their Lord. That is they won't see his beauty and glory from a far place and will be blind in the next world.

Imam Sajjad (a) says God doesn't veil himself from creation except their actions are for other then him.

The Quran talked about lanterns/stars is the heaven connected to this world as something he makes an adornment for those who gaze. It's important to gaze to the lights and the treasured signs of God which are the Ahlulbayt (a) of the time, this is a safe haven from Satanic forces and way to take refuge in God.

Imam Hassan Alaskari (a) said regarding the blindness verse I'm talking about in Suratal Isra "who is more blind then who is blind to his proof (the Imam of the time)", and we know on the day of judgment people will acknowledge the truthfulness of God's proofs and Messengers, so this about, really seeing his beauty and glory, being connected to him.

You should know from munajatal Shabaniya of Imam Ali (a) and Munajatal Arifeen, that looking at God is something to be asked for. The highest signs and how they connect to God is explained, it's what Mohammad (s) saw when he went to the holiest place of prostration which is in the heaven/sky beyond Gabriel (a).

The reality is God is found in that sky/heaven in ways he isn't anywhere else but that reality is also connected to all of us in some way, so we have to begin to look inward.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
There is only one Jewish faith, and that is it. However, there are many ways to practice it. For example, orthodox Jews practice it differently.

That doesn't really help me to understand how you can call Christians or Muslims Jewish.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is a prayer taught by Ali son of Hussain son of Fatima daughter of the Proophet:

بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
bismillahi alrrahmani alrrahimi
In the Name of Allah, the All-beneficent, the All-merciful

إِلٰهِي قَصُرَتِ ٱلأَلْسُنُ عَنْ بُلُوغِ ثَنَائِكَ
ilahi qasurat al-alsunu `an bulughi thana'ika
My God, tongues fall short of attaining praise of You

كَما يَلِيقُ بِجَلالِكَ
kama yaliqu bijalalika
proper to Your majesty,

وَعَجَزَتِ ٱلْعُقُولُ عَنْ إِدْرَاكِ كُنْهِ جَمَالِكَ
wa `ajazat al`uqulu `an idraki kunhi jamalika
intellects are incapable of grasping the core of Your beauty,

وَٱنْحَسَرَتِ ٱلأَبْصَارُ دُونَ ٱلنَّظَرِ إِلَىٰ سُبُحَاتِ وَجْهِكَ
wanhasarat al-absaru duna annazari ila subuhati wajhika
eyes fail before gazing upon the glories of Your face,

وَلَمْ تَجْعَلْ لِلْخَلْقِ طَرِيقاً إِلَىٰ مَعْرِفَتِكَ
wa lam taj`al lilkhalqi tariqan ila ma`rifatika
and You have assigned to Your creatures no way to know You

إِلاَّ بِٱلْعَجْزِ عَنْ مَعْرِفَتِكَ
illa bil`ajzi `an ma`rifatika
save incapacity to know You

إِلٰهِي فَٱجْعَلْنَا مِنَ ٱلَّذِينَ تَرَسَّخَتْ أَشْجَارُ ٱلشَّوْقِ
ilahi faj`alna min alladhina tarassakhat ashjaru ashshawqi
My God, place us among those within the trees of yearning for You

إِلَيْكَ فِي حَدَائِقِ صُدُورِهِمْ
ilayka fi hada'iqi sudurihim
taken firm root in the gardens of their hearts

وَأَخَذَتْ لَوْعَةُ مَحَبَّتِكَ بِمَجَامِعِ قُلُوبِهِمْ
wa akhadhat law`atu mahabbatika bimajami`i qulubihim
and the assemblies of whose hearts seized by the ardor of Your love!

فَهُمْ إِلَىٰ أَوْكَارِ ٱلأَفْكَارِ يَأْوُونَ
fahum ila awkari al-afkari ya'wuna
They seek shelter in the nests of meditation,

وَفِي رِيَاضِ ٱلْقُرْبِ وَٱلْمُكَاشَفَةِ يَرْتَعُونَ
wa fi riyadi alqurbi walmukashafati yarta`una
feed upon the gardens of nearness and disclosure,

وَمِنْ حِيَاضِ ٱلْمَحَبَّةِ بِكَأْسِ ٱلْمُلاطَفَةِ يَكْرَعُونَ
wa min hiyadi almahabbati bika'si almulatafati yakra`una
drink from the pools of love with the cup of gentle favor,

وَشَرَائِعَ ٱلْمُصَافَاةِ يَرِدُونَ
wa shara'i`a almusafati yariduna
and enter into the watering-places of warm affection.

قَدْ كُشِفَ ٱلْغِطَاءُ عَنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ
qad kushifa alghita'u `an absarihim
The covering has been lifted from their eyes,

وَٱنْجَلَتْ ظُلْمَةُ ٱلرَّيْبِ عَنْ عَقَائِدِهِمْ وَضَمَائِرِهِمْ
wanjalat zulmatu arraybi `an `aqa'idihim wa dama'irihim
the darkness of disquiet has been dispelled from their beliefs and their innermost minds,

وَٱنْتَفَتْ مُخَالَجَةُ ٱلشَّكِّ عَنْ قُلُوبِهِمْ وَسَرَائِرِهِمْ
wantafat mukhalajatu ashshakki `an qulubihim wa sara'irihim
the contention of doubt has been negated from their hearts and their secret thoughts,

وَٱنْشَرَحَتْ بِتَحْقِيقِ ٱلْمَعْرِفَةِ صُدُورُهُمْ
wansharahat bitahqiqi alma`rifati suduruhum
their breasts have expanded through the verification of true knowledge,

وَعَلَتْ لِسَبْقِ ٱلسَّعَادَةِ فِي ٱلزَّهَادَةِ هِمَمُهُمْ
wa `alat lisabqi assa`adati fizzahadati himamuhum
their aspirations have ascended through precedent good fortune in renunciation,

وَعَذُبَ فِي مَعينِ ٱلْمُعَامَلَةِ شِرْبُهُمْ
wa `adhuba fi ma`ini almu`amalati shirbuhum
their drinking is sweet from the spring of devotion to good works,

وَطَابَ فِي مَجْلِسِ ٱلأُنْسِ سِرُّهُمْ
wa taba fi majlisi al-unsi sirruhum
their secret thoughts are delicious in the sitting-place of intimacy,

وَأَمِنَ فِي مَوْطِنِ ٱلْمَخَافَةِ سِرْبُهُم
wa amina fi mawtini almakhafati sirbuhum
their minds are secure in the place of terror,

وَٱطْمَأَنَّتْ بِٱلرُّجُوعِ إِلَىٰ رَبِّ ٱلأَرْبَابِ أَنْفُسُهُمْ
watma'annat birruju`i ila rabbi al-arbabi anfusuhum
their souls are serene through the return to the Lord of lords,

وَتَيَقَّنَتْ بِٱلْفَوْزِ وَٱلْفَلاحِ أَرْوَاحُهُمْ
wa tayaqqanat bilfawzi walfalahi arwahuhum
their spirits have reached certitude through triumph and prosperity,

وَقَرَّتْ بِٱلنَّظَرِ إِلَىٰ مَحْبُوبِهِمْ أَعْيُنُهُمْ
wa qarrat binnazari ila mahbubihim a`yunuhum
their eyes have been gladdened through gazing upon their Beloved,

وَٱسْتَقَرَّ بِإِدْرَاكِ ٱلسُّؤْلِ وَنَيْلِ ٱلْمَأْمُولِ قَرَارُهُمْ
wastaqarra bi-idraki assu'li wa nayli alma'muli qararuhum
their settling place has been settled through reaching the request and attaining the expectation,

وَرَبِحَتْ فِي بَيْعِ ٱلدُّنْيَا بِٱلآخِرَةِ تِجَارَتُهُمْ
wa rabihat fi bay`i addunya bil-akhirati tijaratuhum
and their commerce has profited through the sale of this world for the next

إِلٰهِي مَا أَلَذَّ خَوَاطِرَ ٱلإِلْهَامِ بِذِكْرِكَ عَلَىٰ ٱلْقُلُوبِ
ilahi ma aladhdha khawatira al-ilhami bidhikrika `ala alqulubi
My God, how agreeable for hearts are the thoughts inspiring Your remembrance,

وَمَا أَحْلَىٰ ٱلْمَسِيرَ إِلَيْكَ بِٱلأَوْهَامِ فِي مَسَالِكِ ٱلْغُيُوبِ
wa ma ahla almasira ilayka bil-awhami fi masaliki alghuyubi
how sweet traveling to You through imagination upon the roads of the unseen worlds,

وَمَا أَطْيَبَ طَعْمَ حُبِّكَ
wa ma atyaba ta`ma hubbika
how pleasant the taste of Your love is!

وَمَا أَعْذَبَ شِرْبَ قُرْبِكَ
wa ma a`dhaba shirba qurbika
How delightful the drink of Your nearness is!

فَأَعِذْنا مِنْ طَرْدِكَ وَإِبْعَادِكَ
fa a`idhna min tardika wa ib`adika
So, give us refuge from Your casting out and Your sending far,

وَٱجْعَلْنَا مِنْ أَخَصِّ عَارِفِيكَ
waj`alna min akhassi `arifika
and place us among the most elect of Your knowers,

وَأَصْلَحِ عِبَادِكَ
wa aslahi `ibadika
the most righteous of Your servants,

وَأَصْدَقِ طَائِعِيكَ
wa asdaqi ta'i`ika
the most truthful of Your obedient,

وَأَخْلَصِ عُبَّادِكَ
wa akhlasi `ubbadika
the most sincere of Your worshipers!

يَا عَظِيمُ يَا جَلِيلُ
ya `azimu ya jalilu
O All-mighty, O Majestic,

يَا كَرِيمُ يَا مُنِيلُ
ya karimu ya munilu
O Generous, O Endower!

بِرَحْمَتِكَ وَمَنِّكَ
birahmatika wa mannika
By Your mercy and kindness,

يَا أَرْحَمَ ٱلرَّاحِمِينَ
ya arhama arrahimina
O Most Merciful of the merciful!

Fallen Prophet

Edit: In OP like this i do not speak as a Sufi who "only" think Allah in discussion of abrahamic faith, it is about the Torah, Bible, Quran or other scriptures found within Abrahamic teachings.

There has been many discussions and debates in RF about God, and many claim to know God, and non believers ask for physical proofs before they even think that God can exist (something i now understand why)

But the thing is Scripture either say God want us to see him or at least hinting that it can be possible.

The question then become, does this mean in physical form or is it seeing God through wisdom about what God is?

OP starter has of course his own thought of this, but i will try to remain open to look at all posabilities without biased pre-conseption.
I believe that God has a physical form - and that He looks like a Man - yet in order for a mortal to see Him - His Spirit would need to infuse the mortal - in order to strengthen the mortal and allow them to endure His presence.

I believe this process is referred to as Transfiguration in the Bible.