• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we communicate with Jinn?

Zanoni

Still Learning
Jinn are creatures of Allah with free wills to do good or bad, just like us, right? Is there any rules that prevent people from seeking out these good Jinn and becoming friends with them?

Parzival

Good questions Zanoni. I'm not sure, but I've been wondering about angels myself. Can we have communication with them? We have angels that watch over us recording out deeds, right? Can we ask them for feedback? Can they respond to us? Can we hear them?

Sultan Of Swing

Jinn? Also known as Djinn, right? Aren't those where the myths of genies come from? (And a great deal of brilliant fantasy novels :D)

Parzival

Sultan Of Swing

So, are the Jinn invisible creatures God/Allah decided to create to live on earth. I mean, does it have any comparisons to Christian/Jewish entities? Are they akin to demons or angels? How powerful are they?

Parzival

I'm new to Islam, so I'm hoping anything inaccurate that I say will be corrected by someone better informed. With that disclaimer out of the way...

So, are the Jinn invisible creatures God/Allah decided to create to live on earth. I mean, does it have any comparisons to Christian/Jewish entities? Are they akin to demons or angels? How powerful are they?

In the Qur'an it says that Jinn were created by Allah before Adam. While Allah was to create man from clay he created the Jinn "from the fire of a scorching wind."

While I haven't read the Qur'an in full yet, I can tell you that there is one place where I have stumbled up on them so far and it tells a slightly different version of the story of Lucifer's fall. Iblis, or the Devil, is not an angel is Islam as you find in Christianity, but is rather one of the Jinn.

Assuredly we have created humankind from dried, sounding clay, from molded dark mud. And the jinn we had created before, from smokeless, scorching fire penetrating through the skin. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: “I am creating a mortal from dried, sounding clay, from molded dark mud. “when I have fashioned him in due proportions and breathed into him out of My spirit, then fall down prostrating before him (as a token of respect for him and his superiority).But Iblīs did not; he refused to be among those who prostrated themselves. (God) said: “o Iblis! what is the matter with you that you are not among those who have prostrated?”
(Iblis) said: “I am not one to prostrate myself before a mortal, whom You have created from dried, sounding clay, from molded dark mud.” (God) said: “Then get you down out of it; surely You are one rejected (from My mercy).
“And cursing is upon you until the day of Judgment.” Qur'an 15:26-35

I don't think there are demons in Islam, but my understanding is that the Christian concept of a demon is the same as the Islamic concept of a bad Jinn. I think the bad Jinn follow you around your whole life whispering in your ear to get you to do wrong against Allah. I think there is a story about the Prophet Muhammad getting his Jinn to convert to Islam and turn away from evil.

Bismillah

Submit
I'm not sure, I know the Qur'an was sent down for both mankind and Jinn

And I (Allaah) created not the jinns and humans, except they should worship Me (Alone)." [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56].

O assembly of jinns and mankind! Did there not come to you Messengers from amongst you, reciting unto you My Verses…?" [al-An’aam 6:130]

On the issue of finding jinn and communicating them, I think this would be impossible as the word itself means hidden from sight.

Verily he [Shaytaan] and his qabeeluhu [his soldiers from the jinn or his tribe] see you from where you cannot see them…" [al-A’raaf 7:27]

There is a hadith which states that every man has a jinn who is a companion

"The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘There is not one of you who does not have a jinn appointed to be his constant companion.’ They said, ‘And you too, O Messenger of Allaah?’ He said, ‘Me too, but Allaah has helped me and he has submitted, so that he only helps me to do good.’" (Reported by Muslim, 2814)

I would think that rather it is a one-way relationship in which the Jinn may influence us and tempt us either to do good or evil. Almost like a subconscious.

Mintz

La Illaha IlAllah
We are forbidden from trying to pass over into the Jinn dimension or try to communicate with them. They are also forbidden to come into our dimension. Those who contact evil jinns do so to learn secrets and magic rituals. The only people who could communicate with Jinn were prophets, who revealed Allah's message to mankind AND Jinn. Hope this was helpful :D

Some Hadith about the Jinn:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Abu Tha’labah al-Khushani said: “The Messenger of Allaah [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Helvetica, Arial] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial] said: ‘The jinn are of three types: a types that has wings, and they fly through the air; a type that looks like snakes and dogs; and a type that stops for a rest then resumes its journey.”

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Allah's Apostle [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Helvetica, Arial] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial] said: There is none amongst you with whom is not an attache from amongst the jinn (devil). They (the Companions) said: Allah's Apostle [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Helvetica, Arial] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial] with you too? Thereupon he said: [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Yes, but Allah helps me against him and so I am safe from his hand and he does not command me but for good.

There are different types of Jinns. Shaytan (Devils) are Jinns, but Jinns aren't necessarily Devils. Only Some. Some Jinns are Muslims.[/FONT]

staff edit

Arabic lexicon mentions the following as the possible meanings of the word jinn. It literally means anything which has the connotation of concealment, invisibility, seclusion and remoteness.

im not asking could jinn BE microscopic organisms im asking could another meaning of jinn be MOs, as in the case where the Prophet prohibited using bones and other material to cleanse yourselfs after call of nature and said they are food for jinn

Last edited by a moderator: