• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we change our mind about what we believe?

ppp

I meant that atheists want verification that God exists.

But that is not what you said.

We live in a world where people routinely make slurs, employ racial, ethnic, cultural and, sexual epithets, or lies/gross exaggeration/stereotyping about the nature of some target group. Then when called on the matter, they retreat into excuses of "what I meant", "can't take a joke", "you just didn't understand", and an assortment of feckless not-pologies. As though any of those things are meaningful or responsible replies. They are not. And they never be.

Verification of God's existence is what most atheists want
Twaddle.

ppp

I corrected what I said
"In order to be more clear I should have said" just a variation on "what I meant". That is not a correct.

A correction would have been some variation on, The words that I said were false, and I should not have said them, and I retract them. Please allow me to back track. This is what I want to say now... Correcting oneself always involves eating some crow.

Verification of God's existence is what most atheists want
It doesn't help that your faux-rection was right into another misrepresentation. Can't help yourself, can you?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
You claim about what atheists want is either criminal ignorance or an intentional slur. Either way, shame on you.
Is she now claiming that the Bible and the Quran are evidence that God exists? Either one of those can also be used as evidence that people make up stories about their Gods. And when it comes to the Bible, she'd probably agree.

God is very knowable and does communicate with people and is very much involved with what's happening with people in the Bible. I hope she doesn't try to deny, but she has said that the Bible is just stories, fictional stories. And I agree.

Did God walk in the garden with Adam and then curse him for disobeying? Did God part the seas for Moses and the children of Israel? Did God wrestle with Jacob all night? Did God flood the whole world and kill every living thing except Noah and his family and the animals he had on the ark?

If God didn't do those things... And if they are only fictional stories, then they are proof and evidence of nothing about God. But, if those stories are true, as believed by some, then there's their prove. To them God is real. But other than those stories in the Bible, what tangible, objective proof and evidence do those Bible-believers have? That's something that I've heard a few Atheists ask for.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"In order to be more clear I should have said" just a variation on "what I meant". That is not a correct.
It is what I should have said and it was correct.
A correction would have been some variation on, The words that I said were false, and I should not have said them, and I retract them. Please allow me to back track. This is what I want to say now... Correcting oneself always involves eating some crow.
I correct my own posts as I see fit. I suggest you do the same, unless you never make any mistakes.
It doesn't help that your faux-rection was right into another misrepresentation. Can't help yourself, can you?
My correction was absolutely correct.
Verifiable evidence of God's existence is what most atheists want.

I could prove that by finding posts where atheists said that but I have better things to do.

ppp

My correction was absolutely correct.
We live in a world where people routinely make slurs, employ racial, ethnic, cultural and, sexual epithets, or lies/gross exaggeration/stereotyping about the nature of some target group. Then when called on the matter, they retreat into excuses of "what I meant", "can't take a joke", "you just didn't understand", and an assortment of feckless not-pologies. As though any of those things are meaningful or responsible replies. They are not. And they will never be.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Is she now claiming that the Bible and the Quran are evidence that God exists? Either one of those can also be used as evidence that people make up stories about their Gods. And when it comes to the Bible, she'd probably agree.
Yes, I believe that the Bible and the Qur'an are evidence for God, since I believe that God was involved in their writing, more so the Qur'an than the Bible.
The Bible and the Qur'an could be what people made up about God, but how logical is that? I mean why would people go to so much trouble to write about a nonexistent God? What would be their motive? People do not do things without a motive. Of course the same could be applied to the Writings of the Bab and Baha'u'llah.
God is very knowable and does communicate with people and is very much involved with what's happening with people in the Bible. I hope she doesn't try to deny, but she has said that the Bible is just stories, fictional stories. And I agree.
Frankly, I do not care what the Bible says that God did. I do not believe that God interacts with anyone, not even the Messengers of God. All God does is reveal a message to Messengers and possibly some of the other prophets in the Bible. Interaction is not something God does. I believe that is anthropomorphizing God and making God into a person. God is not a person.

Yes, I believe that much of the Bible is fictional stories which were told to convey spiritual truths.
Did God walk in the garden with Adam and then curse him for disobeying? Did God part the seas for Moses and the children of Israel? Did God wrestle with Jacob all night? Did God flood the whole world and kill every living thing except Noah and his family and the animals he had on the ark?
No.
If God didn't do those things... And if they are only fictional stories, then they are proof and evidence of nothing about God. But, if those stories are true, as believed by some, then there's their prove. To them God is real. But other than those stories in the Bible, what tangible, objective proof and evidence do those Bible-believers have? That's something that I've heard a few Atheists ask for.
Even though those stories are fictional they convey moral truths just as many fictional stories convey moral truths.
Many TV shows and movies convey moral truths.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We live in a world where people routinely make slurs, employ racial, ethnic, cultural and, sexual epithets, or lies/gross exaggeration/stereotyping about the nature of some target group.
Saying that atheists require verifiable evidence to believe in God is not a slur.
It is just repeating what atheists have been telling me, over and over and over and over again, for 12 years.

muhammad_isa

The Bible and the Qur'an could be what people made up about God, but how logical is that? I mean why would people go to so much trouble to write about a nonexistent God?
I agree :D
..but then, some people will say that they need to believe or are deluded etc.

Brains aren't everything .. in fact, 'the heart' is more important than the brain.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I agree :D
..but then, some people will say that they need to believe or are deluded etc.
Which makes zero sense.
Brains aren't everything .. in fact, 'the heart' is more important than the brain.
I agree. I don't know what Muhammad said about the heart but I like what Jesus and Baha'u'llah said.

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Dispute not with any one concerning the things of this world and its affairs, for God hath abandoned them to such as have set their affection upon them. Out of the whole world He hath chosen for Himself the hearts of men—hearts which the hosts of revelation and of utterance can subdue.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 279

“That the heart is the throne, in which the Revelation of God the All-Merciful is centered, is attested by the holy utterances which We have formerly revealed.
Among them is this saying: “Earth and heaven cannot contain Me; what can alone contain Me is the heart of him that believeth in Me, and is faithful to My Cause.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 186

ppp

Saying that atheists require verifiable evidence to believe in God is not a slur.
It is just repeating what atheists have been telling me, over and over and over and over again, for 12 years.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Repeating what atheists have told me time and again does not require an apology, which is why no atheists except you are asking for an apology.

No atheists ever asked me for an apology because there is nothing to apologize for. There is nothing wrong with heir position. Verifiable evidence is just what they require.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Can we change our mind about what we believe?

@PureX said that one CAN change their mind, but they won't because they don't want to deny their current understanding of 'what is'. #523

I disagree. One CAN change their mind, and they sometimes do, if they get new information that causes them to change their mind. However, if they don't change their mind, it is because they truly believe that what they believe is true according to their current understanding. It is not that they won’t change their mind, as if they are stubbornly refusing to change their mind, it is that they have no reason to change their mind.

Why should anyone deny that what they believe is true?

Conversely, why should anyone accept any belief as true if they don’t believe it is true?

Why should atheists accept that God exists when they see no evidence for God’s existence?

I do not think that atheists are stubbornly refusing to believe in God. I take them at their word when they say that they see no evidence for God. It is not that they won’t believe in God, it is that they can’t believe in God because they see no evidence for God. The same holds true for me. It is not that I won’t disbelieve in God, it is that I can’t disbelieve in God because I see evidence for God.
It’s where a person is on their journey in this life. I used to be a strong atheist but then I came across Baha’u’llah and the Baha’i Faith and loved It so I joined and that was 50 years ago. But before I joined I was a Christian in my early childhood then an atheist. So as new knowledge comes to mind and we understand things differently then our beliefs can change. But each person’s journey is different so we shouldn’t judge anyone but accept all and love all as our equals.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Come on Baha'is... Fictional stories are not evidence that the fictional God in those stories is real. The stories were written to be believed as true. People let themselves be martyred for a fictional story? They followed the rules given in those fictional stories and stoned people to death for breaking some of those rules.

I still say that Baha'is would be better off if they didn't claim to believe in the Bible. Because once they do they have to admit how little they really do believe... that it is just fiction and it's just symbolic. But then Baha'is claim that God inspired it? For what? To make himself look bad?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Come on Baha'is... Fictional stories are not evidence that the fictional God in those stories is real.
Of course not. Fictional stories are not evidence that the God in those stories is real.
The stories were written to be believed as true. People let themselves be martyred for a fictional story? They followed the rules given in those fictional stories and stoned people to death for breaking some of those rules.
So what? Just because they were written to be believed as true and they were believed to be true that does not mean the stories were true.
I still say that Baha'is would be better off if they didn't claim to believe in the Bible. Because once they do they have to admit how little they really do believe... that it is just fiction and it's just symbolic. But then Baha'is claim that God inspired it? For what? To make himself look bad?
Some of the Bible is fictional stories but not all of the Bible is stories. Some of the fictional stories are symbolic of something, meaning that they have a moral lesson to teach, like Jonah and whale...

What does Jonah and the whale teach us?

Jonah And The Whale Story For Children With Moral

The short story has much to teach children in terms of moral lessons that they can apply to their lives. The main lesson is to trust the almighty and have faith in him as he has planned everything for everyone, and in the end, everything will be fine.Sep 3, 2022

Jonah And The Whale Story With Moral For Kids - Firstcry

On the other hand, some stories such as the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ are just fictional, and there is no moral lesson.
I do not agree with Abdu'l-Baha that the resurrection story was symbolic of something. It was written and probably intended to sound like a true story. Often stories sound as if they are true, but that does not make them true. In fact, the resurrection stories in the Bible are so convincing that even many non-Christians believe that Jesus rose from the dead. Such is the power of storytelling.

joelr

What you mean, is that some archeologists have decided to look for evidence of past events
mentioned in the OT, and haven't found any. :)
No. You are once again, making things up.

examples,
Q: Is there mention of the Israelites anywhere in ancient Egyptian records?

Dever: No Egyptian text mentions the Israelites except the famous inscription of Merneptah dated to about 1206 B.C.E. But those Israelites were in Canaan; they are not in Egypt, and nothing is said about them escaping from Egypt.

Where are Israelites from -
Q:
Does archeology back up the information in the Merneptah inscription? Is there evidence of the Israelites in the central highlands of Canaan at this time?

Dever: We know today, from archeological investigation, that there were more than 300 early villages of the 13th and 12th century in the area. I call these "proto-Israelite" villages.

Forty years ago it would have been impossible to identify the earliest Israelites archeologically. We just didn't have the evidence. And then, in a series of regional surveys, Israeli archeologists in the 1970s began to find small hilltop villages in the central hill country north and south of Jerusalem and in lower Galilee. Now we have almost 300 of them.

Are the stories of conquest real?
Q:
What have archeologists learned from these settlements about the early Israelites? Are there signs that the Israelites came in conquest, taking over the land from Canaanites?

Dever: The settlements were founded not on the ruins of destroyed Canaanite towns but rather on bedrock or on virgin soil. There was no evidence of armed conflict in most of these sites. Archeologists also have discovered that most of the large Canaanite towns that were supposedly destroyed by invading Israelites were either not destroyed at all or destroyed by "Sea People"—Philistines, or others.

So gradually the old conquest model [based on the accounts of Joshua's conquests in the Bible] began to lose favor amongst scholars. Many scholars now think that most of the early Israelites were originally Canaanites, displaced Canaanites, displaced from the lowlands, from the river valleys, displaced geographically and then displaced ideologically.

Actual size of the kingdom vs what Bible says
Q:
The Bible describes it as a glorious kingdom stretching from Egypt to Mesopotamia. Does archeology back up these descriptions?

Dever: The stories of Solomon are larger than life. According to the stories, Solomon imported 100,000 workers from what is now Lebanon. Well, the whole population of Israel probably wasn't 100,000 in the 10th century. Everything Solomon touched turned to gold. In the minds of the biblical writers, of course, David and Solomon are ideal kings chosen by Yahweh. So they glorify them.

Now, archeology can't either prove or disprove the stories. But I think most archeologists today would argue that the United Monarchy was not much more than a kind of hill-country chiefdom. It was very small-scale.

Yahweh had a wife
Q:
One of the astonishing things is your discovery of Yahweh's connection to Asherah. Tell us about that.

Dever: In 1968, I discovered an inscription in a cemetery west of Hebron, in the hill country, at the site of Khirbet el-Qôm, a Hebrew inscription of the 8th century B.C.E. It gives the name of the deceased, and it says "blessed may he be by Yahweh"—that's good biblical Hebrew—but it says "by Yahweh and his Asherah."

Asherah is the name of the old Canaanite Mother Goddess, the consort of El, the principal deity of the Canaanite pantheon. So why is a Hebrew inscription mentioning Yahweh in connection with the Canaanite Mother Goddess? Well, in popular religion they were a pair.

The Israelite prophets and reformers denounce the Mother Goddess and all the other gods and goddesses of Canaan. But I think Asherah was widely venerated in ancient Israel. If you look at Second Kings 23, which describes the reforms of King Josiah in the late 7th century, he talks about purging the Temple of all the cult paraphernalia of Asherah. So the so-called folk religion even penetrated the Temple in Jerusalem.

Q: Is there other evidence linking Asherah to Yahweh?

Dever: In the 1970s, Israeli archeologists digging in Kuntillet Ajrud in the Sinai found a little desert fort of the same period, and lo and behold, we have "Yahweh and Asherah" all over the place in the Hebrew inscriptions.

Q: Are there any images of Asherah?

Dever: For a hundred years now we have known of little terracotta female figurines. They show a nude female; the sexual organs are not represented but the breasts are. They are found in tombs, they are found in households, they are found everywhere. There are thousands of them. They date all the way from the 10th century to the early 6th century.

They have long been connected with one goddess or another, but many scholars are still hesitant to come to a conclusion. I think they are

If the Bible and Qur'an did not exist, I would have "no evidence", maybe..
If they did exist you would still have no evidence. Because the Mormon Bible exists, are you running to read it? The Hindu scriptures exist, are you going to read what Krishna said?
No huh? Because a book with claims isn't good evidence. At all. Just because you buy into one doesn't make it any better.

Everyone knows Superman is fiction .. we even know the authors..
Yes we do. But they were getting subconscious messages from Superman to tell a story about him because one day he will reveal himself.
You think bad apologetics arguments can't be used for anything?

We know the author of the Quran as well. He also claims messages from an angel. Just as unlikely.

Superman was an example, switch it to the Mormon Bible. Revelations from an angel, didn't say the Quran was real. Has 12 witnesses. More recent, original source. All your arguments work for the Mormon Bible as well. Pretty sure both were created by people.

You keep saying that .. each religion must be examined separately, in order to determine its roots..
Oops, you are now caught in a trap. Of your own making. Yes each religion should be examined, there are people who do it for a living. Historical scholars. Who you don't trust and conspiracy theory all over them. So actually you cannot examine them. I have been telling you the roots of Yahweh and the OT theology and you have denied all scholars. The people who read the original text in the original language, read what the historians at that time were saying, what other cultures were saying and any possible other connection.

But no, you have 100% refused that line of work. And yet here you are, suddenly claiming religions must be examined.
Here is the truth. You will allow any other religion to be examined, as historians do, and shown to be likely a syncretic myth. But then when it comes to anything you believe, then the historians are conspiracy theorists and whatever other nonsense you claimed.

Hilarious. Tripped yourself right up there. Too funny. Special pleading all day.

Oh, the Quran has been examined, all of the "divine" science was actually Greek science. The theology is OT mixed with Arabic ideas, same with wisdom and a rough draft was found dating to 5 or 6 CE. It was a work in progress.

You cannot know whether G-d exists or not, by digging up pieces of land .. or by making
assumptions about people who lived 1000's of years ago.
I'm answering this twice, first I just want you to tell me why you keep saying God cannot be proven? I keep telling you that isn't the aim of any of this and you keep doing it. Please explain why?
Every time?

We don't know Zeus doesn't exist by digging up land? Why do you keep saying this?

You cannot know whether G-d exists or not, by digging up pieces of land .. or by making
assumptions about people who lived 1000's of years ago.
By digging land we can see if the scripture is accurate. It's not, Moses is a literary figure most likely.

No one makes assumptions about people from 1000 years ago. They make theories based on evidence.
When we find a. temple with 20ft footprints in the clay, leading to the chambers, wouldn't you say it's for Yahweh to walk into his inner sanctum? At that time it was believed when God was on earth he dwelled in the temple.
And when we find Ashera idols in every house and goddess imagery at the temple it's probably Ashera, Yahweh's consort, as all deities had a consort.

You say this like no one should ever do any archaeology, just take a book and assume it's completely accurate and just worship god.
If you want to do that go ahead, not everyone does that, they want to understand what the people were really like.

All of this is just your strawman against archaeology and history because you don't like what they are saying. You sound like the Dark Ages Christians who didn't trust logic, science, or critical thinking. They said God already told us everything we need so why would we need anything else.

You could say the same about the ancient Greek beliefs. If everyone had that attitude we would still be worshipping Zeus.

So now you are special pleading, it's good for other religions but not what I believe.

joelr

I believe that Moses, Jesus and Muhammad, peace be with them, ALL believed in the Creator
of the universe.

Looks like Moses wasn't a real person but regardless, so what?

Joseph Smith also believed in that same creator of the universe. That creator also sent an angel down to give him updates.

It says so in a book. Millions of people believe it. You cannot prove that angel doesn't exist. You cannot go by what historians say because you don't do historical studies.

..which means I believe that Jews, Christians and Muslims believe in the One G-d, but through different messengers.

That isn't what it means. Christians believe something completely different about Jesus. Your defense is the NT is corrupted and not true. But you cannot know that because you don't trust historians. All you have is a claim from a book. So if the NT is wrong, your book can also be wrong. YOu also don't seem to believe the Mormon Bible either.

Or Bahai, who claims to be a messenger in the same line of messengers.

Hmmm, looks like anyone can just make any claim and write a book. Even a long book full of wisdom and laws.
The fact that they have different creeds is primarily due to mankind's tribal nature, and how we evolve.

No Joseph Smith wrote down the angels words verbatim. As did Bahai. But I see, you have to do a whole tap-dance to make your religion work.

So yours is true, the OT is true but mis-translated, same with the NT. But you have zero evidence the Bible was mistranslated or corrupted from what your book says. Zero. You cannot prove the Bible is written by any god, it looks completely syncretic and man made in every aspect. Wisdom, laws, fables, parables, literary style, totally man made, just like all the others like Romulus, Homer, and every other religion. No evidence of any god, supernatural, angels, yet another angel has to be involved and updated an entire religion, but didn't go to the Pope, god wanted it to be a different people because that wouldn't start any wars or anything. Great idea. Didn't tell anyone in the Christian religion, even though they are the people worshipping him. Devoting their life to what they honestly find to be the truth and the reward is Yahweh just goes elsewhere to give the true version and let's the Christians find out from them, which they won't believe without Yahweh telling them, so that is just going to be trouble.

Were this god real I would never worship it. But it's just a story.