• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Shudras study the Vedas....

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ravi,

Guess the time to respond is not auspicious.
The discussion will be carried on at another place and time.
Nothing is lost nor anything gained by doing or not doing anything.
Best Wishes!

Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So you find Ralph Griffiths a better sanskrit scholar than Dayanand who spent all his time in India and learned under an accomplished master!
Ralph Griffith also spent his life in studiying Hindu scriptures. He translated RigVeda, SamaVeda, Shukla YajurVeda, AtharvaVeda, and Valmiki Ramayana. They are available at sacred-texts.com.
Also I wonder why you find Osho superficial! Hope you do not have any personal envy for his outrageous books and deeds.
I am an orthodox Hindu. With outrageous books and deeds, he is certainly not my type of person.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Mod Post: Moved to Same Faith Debates per staff consensus. While the meaning and distinctions between Varna and Caste are a relevant and needed subject in the Hindu DIR, please keep Rules 1, 10 and 11 in mind. ***

Last edited:

Stormcry

Pranam....

Some things I want to say...

There's no any distinction between Shruti & Smritis as our traditional acharyas put both of them in a very high esteem. Even in Upanishads, itihasa & Puranas are mentioned as Fifth Veda. So no one can ignore this fact.

Itihasa and Puranas are manuals to learn Veda. Vedavyasa has said that one should interpret veda according to itihasa and Puranas. Veda feels scared from persons who don't have knowledge of itihasa and Puranas.

One verse from Bhagavata purana :

" Shudra and Women are not allowed to hear veda. For wellfare of those fools about vedic rituals, vyasa created the mahabharata. " ( Bhagavata purana 1.4.25 )

To shower mercy on all people of Kaliyuga, Vyasadeva created Mahabharata.

Shri Krishna....

Last edited:

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3738930 said:
Pranam....

Some things I want to say...

There's no any distinction between Shruti & Smritis as our traditional acharyas put both of them in a very high esteem. Even in Upanishads, itihasa & Puranas are mentioned as Fifth Veda. So no one can ignore this fact.

I humbly disagree over here.The smritis concerned with social laws and customs, are to be changed as per evolving conditions and circumstances. They are inferior to the Shrutis or eternal spiritual truths, which are considered superior.

This has been explained properly in this thread.

Hinduism♥Krishna;3738930 said:
" Shudra and Women are not allowed to hear veda. They will do mistake in interpreting Veda. So vyasa created the mahabharata. " ( Bhagavata purana 1.4.25 )

To shower mercy on all people of Kaliyuga, Vyasadeva created Mahabharata.

Shri Krishna....

These are all interpolations of later times.

Gargeyi and Maitreyi were great women sages who held their own in assemblies of scholars in ancient times.

Satyakama Jabala and Vasistha were of shudra origin who rose to become Rishis themselves.

Makaranda

One verse from Bhagavata purana :

" Shudra and Women are not allowed to hear veda. For wellfare of those fools about vedic rituals, vyasa created the mahabharata. " ( Bhagavata purana 1.4.25 )

To echo Ravi's post, I think it would be inappropriate to enforce such restrictions in this day and age. Knowledge of the Vedas is scarce enough as it is - even amongst Hindus. To enforce these restrictions now would be to put a stranglehold on the small pockets of sAdhakas, east or west, still studying the Vedas (Upanishads).

And besides, it may be more helpful for us to interpret such verses as referring to striyatvam/shudratvam character of the mind; that is, over-emotional and unsteady mind/ a mind clinging to attachments and wealth, respectively.

(Don't start up with the caste/Hindu=Indian nonsense again, please!)

Stormcry

(Don't start up with the caste/Hindu=Indian nonsense again, please!)

;) No never dear , I believe in one Atma in all. However I can not also ignore our vedic principles and rules. In any condition, I can't talk against my dharma. I'm bound by it. So it's better for me to stay quiet :)

Thread starter asked us a question 'can shudras study veda' and I replied with a verse stating about Shudra & veda. That's it. If I hurt someone forgive me. I'm ready to delete my previous post if someone got hurt . Let me know.

Hare Krishna hari govinda.....

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3739960 said:
;) No never dear , I believe in one Atma in all. However I can not also ignore our vedic principles and rules. In any condition, I can't talk against my dharma. I'm bound by it. So it's better for me to stay quiet :)

Thread starter asked us a question 'can shudras study veda' and I replied with a verse stating about Shudra & veda. That's it. If I hurt someone forgive me. I'm ready to delete my previous post if someone got hurt . Let me know.

Pranaams,

I am hurt, as it was not presented in the proper perspective, which actually Makaranda did. :(

I forgive you, though.

Makaranda

Hinduism♥Krishna;3739960 said:

Your attitude is impressive.

:namaste