• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the law grant eternal life?

Betho_br

The stories about Jesus, such as the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, are in the Christian scriptures. They have nothing to do with Judaism.
It is correct to note that Jesus was Jewish, as were many of the individuals and writings associated with Him. The young rich man zealous for the law was also Jewish, and Nicodemus was a Jewish Pharisee. Furthermore, the Gospel of Matthew was initially written in Hebrew and had a Jewish audience in mind.

Therefore, it is appropriate to acknowledge that our attempt here is to revisit and understand Jesus's perspective on the matters discussed, without strictly focusing on teaching Christianity or Judaism.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It is correct to note that Jesus was Jewish, as were many of the individuals and writings associated with Him. The young rich man zealous for the law was also Jewish, and Nicodemus was a Jewish Pharisee. Furthermore, the Gospel of Matthew was initially written in Hebrew and had a Jewish audience in mind.

Therefore, it is appropriate to acknowledge that our attempt here is to revisit and understand Jesus's perspective on the matters discussed, without strictly focusing on teaching Christianity or Judaism.
But we really don't know what Jesus' perspective was. He left no writings. All we have are collections of the legends that had grown up about him in the decades following his death, totally unreliable sources.

Betho_br

But we really don't know what Jesus' perspective was. He left no writings. All we have are collections of the legends that had grown up about him in the decades following his death, totally unreliable sources.
You're not entirely wrong, but that's precisely what we're discussing here – these sources that have been misinterpreted over the centuries. We are examining this without any religious bias, not necessarily the accuracy of the New Testament writings, but how the literature itself presents other perspectives that have been neglected due to a lack of a more impartial and non-religious study.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You're not entirely wrong, but that's precisely what we're discussing here – these sources that have been misinterpreted over the centuries. We are examining this without any religious bias, not necessarily the accuracy of the New Testament writings, but how the literature itself presents other perspectives that have been neglected due to a lack of a more impartial and non-religious study.
I understand what you are saying. My point is that it is not merely a problem with the sources being misunderstood. Even if a person properly interprets it, the source itself is not reliable.

BTW, I have a deep appreciation for secular scholars of the texts. I think they bring a lot to the table.

Wandering Monk

I understand what you are saying. My point is that it is not merely a problem with the sources being misunderstood. Even if a person properly interprets it, the source itself is not reliable.

BTW, I have a deep appreciation for secular scholars of the texts. I think they bring a lot to the table.
Over the years I have looked at early Jewish literature, and there seem to be several matters of Jewish law and custom that find their way into the NT narrative. Some of these are so obscure that I find it hard to believe they were written by non-Jews. For instance, Jesus talks about the Pharisees tithing herbs. I am not sure this was halacha at the time. The Mishnah also mentions this as being from the Rabbis.

The tithing of herbs is from the Rabbins. - Mishnah, Maaseroth 1:1

I understand your assertion, and it is a logical path. However, I have some questions. I don't fully trust the translations of Paul's writings, as in many cases, as we have seen, there are distortions of his ideas. I also have a certain insecurity in adopting a minimalist approach to the law, given my non-Jewish understanding.
Don't worry. It is not necessary to understand or know everything, unless you are making claims of everything. Christian means a disciple of Jesus. If you want to be that, it is enough to be loyal to Jesus and his word. And if you feel Paul has something in contradiction with that, you don't have to take it, if you want to be a disciple of Jesus.

And, I think Paul should be understood so that it fits to words of Jesus and also to OT teachings. If it doesn't feel like that, then let it be open-ended issue that will someday become clear to you.

My advice for everyone would be to try to avoid own interpretations and remain in truth always.

Betho_br

For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. (Lk. 16:28-29 KJV)

According to the Christian Scriptures, following the guidance of Moses and the Prophets ensures a destination far from the place of torment.

Elihoenai

The question of whether the law can give life is a complex theological issue, and different parts of the Bible seem to present various perspectives on this matter.

1. Ezekiel’s Justice: In the Old Testament, particularly in the book of Ezekiel, there are references to justice associated with obedience to God’s statutes and the observance of His rules. However, it is essential to recognize that this justice is within the context of the Mosaic Law. Within this framework, justice could be achieved through the fulfillment of the commandments and regulations of the Law. While it can bring a form of justice, it does not necessarily grant eternal life.

2. Transformation of Job: Although Job was initially considered a righteous man in the Old Testament, his story also illustrates a deeper spiritual journey. He was proud of his self-righteousness, thinking that his obedience to the law made him blameless. But as the story unfolds, he comes to understand that justice is not limited to legalistic obedience but involves a deeper relationship with God. His understanding evolves, and he recognizes his limitations. The law, as seen in Job’s case, does not grant life in the ultimate sense.

3. Paul’s Perspective: The writings of the Apostle Paul are fundamental to understanding the relationship between justice and the law. He argues that, while there is a form of justice found in the law, it is not sufficient for the salvation and eternal life of all. In passages like Philippians 2:15, 3:6, 3:9, and 1 Thessalonians 3:13, Paul discusses the concept of “blamelessness” in the context of the law. He himself was a zealous Pharisee who believed in the righteousness of the law, as he states in Philippians 3:6. However, he recognizes the limitations of the law and that true justice is found in faith in Christ. In Galatians 2:21, he emphasizes that God’s grace would be nullified if justice were entirely achievable through the law, implying that the law, while sufficient to lead some to a form of justice, is imperfect when it comes to bringing all of humanity to perfect righteousness and eternal life.

4. Jesus’ Encounter with the Rich Young Ruler: The story of the rich young ruler in the Gospels illustrates the idea that mere observance of the law may not be enough for something beyond eternal life. Jesus challenges the rich young ruler to go beyond legalistic observance of the law and to give up his worldly possessions to follow Him and attain, beyond eternal life through obedience to the law’s justice, treasure in heaven. This demonstrates that a higher level of commitment is required than merely following the law to achieve a reward. It suggests that the law, while valuable, cannot, by itself, grant life in its fullest sense.

5. New Covenant: The concept of a New Covenant is also crucial for understanding the shift in perspective. Hebrews 8:7 highlights that the first covenant was not without flaws, leading to the need for a new covenant. The New Covenant, according to Christian theology, is based on faith in the atonement of Christ rather than strict adherence to the Mosaic Law. It signifies a shift away from the idea that the law alone can grant life.

The bronze serpent, mentioned in the Old Testament, specifically in the book of Numbers, chapter 21, verses 4-9, represented a symbol of healing and liberation. The story describes how the Israelites, while in the wilderness, began to complain and murmur against God and Moses due to the difficulties they were facing, including being bitten by venomous snakes.

According to the narrative, God instructed Moses to make a bronze serpent and raise it on a pole. He told the people that if anyone was bitten by a venomous snake, they could look at the bronze serpent and would be healed. The act of looking at the bronze serpent was an act of faith and obedience to God’s instructions, and healing was granted as a result.

The bronze serpent, therefore, was an object of veneration, a symbol of faith and trust in divine intervention for healing and liberation. In the context of John 3:14-15, Jesus was using this story as an analogy to illustrate that, in the same way, He would be “lifted up” (a reference to His crucifixion), and those who looked to Him in faith would be spiritually healed and receive full and eternal life, just as it was done in the time of Moses. Therefore, the bronze serpent in Moses’ story was a symbol of healing and salvation.

Jesus explained about being born again and entering the Kingdom of Heaven to attain Eternal Life. This is not the same path to attaining eternal life through the Law.

I emphasize that the “cherry on top” is the context of Jesus’ encounter with the Rich Young Ruler described in the article. It is true that Jesus also discussed the topic of Eternal Life with another Jew, Nicodemus; however, this encounter was outside the context of the Law. In John 3, Jesus explained about being born again and entering the Kingdom of Heaven to attain Eternal Life. This is not the same path to attaining eternal life through the Law.

Furthermore, the article also mentions the bronze serpent, found in the Old Testament, specifically in the book of Numbers, chapter 21, verses 4-9. It represented a symbol of healing and liberation. The story describes how the Israelites, while in the wilderness, began to complain and murmur against God and Moses due to the hardships they were facing, including being bitten by venomous snakes.

According to the narrative, God instructed Moses to make a bronze serpent and place it on a pole. He told the people that if anyone was bitten by a venomous snake, they could look at the bronze serpent and be healed. Looking at the bronze serpent was an act of faith and obedience to God’s instructions, and as a result, healing was granted.

The bronze serpent, therefore, was an object of veneration, a symbol of faith and trust in divine intervention for healing and liberation. In the context of John 3:14-15, Jesus was using this story as an analogy to illustrate that, in the same way, He would be “lifted up” (a reference to His crucifixion), and those who looked to Him in faith would be spiritually healed and receive full and eternal life, just as was done in the time of Moses. Therefore, the bronze serpent in Moses’ story was a symbol of healing and salvation.

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. Mattews 19:16-17 KJV

In this verse, Jesus is responding to someone who inquires about how to attain eternal life. Jesus indicates that the key to eternal life is the observance of God’s commandments. Therefore, according to this verse, obedience to the commandments is seen as important in the pursuit of eternal life. However, Jesus offered the option of perfection and reward to the rich young man, while the path with Nicodemus is to “be born again” and enter the Kingdom of God to achieve eternal life, which is the main theme of the Gospels. One does not negate the other. While the first deals with eternal life for the circumcised descendants of Abraham, the other deals with making non-circumcised individuals also children of God.

The concept of eternal life is found in Daniel 12:2, so it would be appropriate for a zealous follower of the Jewish commandments to inquire of Jesus about how to attain eternal life.

It is true that the concept of Eternal Life, initially associated with humanity in Genesis 3:22, appears to have been explicitly attributed to God alone, as seen in Deuteronomy 32:40. However, God’s precepts remain an essential part of human life, as evidenced in Psalm 118:93.

In Genesis 3:22, the passage relates to the moment when humanity ate from the forbidden fruit, and God expressed concern about the possibility of humans also eating from the “tree of life” and living forever. This initial association with Eternal Life was linked to humans, but the continuation of the biblical narrative indicates that this condition was revoked for humanity.

Deuteronomy 32:40, on the other hand, reaffirms God’s absolute control over life and death, emphasizing His sovereignty and authority over eternal destiny. This passage underscores the uniqueness of Eternal Life in relation to God.

However, God’s precepts, as mentioned in Psalm 118:93, continue to serve as spiritual and ethical guidelines that steer people’s lives. While the ability to live eternally may be exclusive to God, obedience to God’s precepts is seen as a path to a life that reflects God’s will and draws individuals spiritually closer to the idea of Eternal Life.

So, while Eternal Life may be exclusive to God, obedience to God’s precepts remains a crucial aspect of people’s lives, connecting them with divine will and guidance.

“Like the dew of Hermon that descends upon the mountains of Zion, for there the Lord has commanded the blessing, life forever.” Psalm 132:3

*** The universal assembly (ἐκκλησία καθ᾽ ὅλης – Acts 9:31) throughout Judea was mostly made up of circumcised individuals.

And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. Genesis 26:4-5 KJV

A song that is said about the depths of the waters of the Lord; my heart did not exalt itself, and my eyes did not lift up, and I did not walk in great and wondrous things beyond me. I did not lay my hand on hidden things, and my soul is tranquil until the precepts of the Law are fulfilled. Thus, Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity.” – Targum Ketuvim Tehillim 131

The phrase “Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity” could be interpreted as a poetic expression that suggests that the people of Israel are in a constant spiritual journey toward God and eternity. It is not a direct quotation, but it reflects the aspiration of the Jewish community to follow divine precepts and find their way toward eternity, aligning with the concept of resurrection and the pursuit of eternal life as discussed in Daniel 12:2.
You Must Practise the Law to Attain Eternal Life. In Christendom they are taught the Opposite.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The question of whether the law can give life is a complex theological issue, and different parts of the Bible seem to present various perspectives on this matter.
It depends also upon what you consider eternal life to be, upon what you consider authoritative and what your community will allow you to consider. We are affected by those around us.

Take this passage in Psalm 133:

Psalm 133:3 NIV — "It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore."

That is a short psalm about unity -- the same thing Jesus prays his disciples will obtain. Naturally there are many spins on it.

2ndpillar

1. Ezekiel’s Justice: In the Old Testament, particularly in the book of Ezekiel, there are references to justice associated with obedience to God’s statutes and the observance of His rules. However, it is essential to recognize that this justice is within the context of the Mosaic Law. Within this framework, justice could be achieved through the fulfillment of the commandments and regulations of the Law. While it can bring a form of justice, it does not necessarily grant eternal life.

2. Transformation of Job: Although Job was initially considered a righteous man in the Old Testament, his story also illustrates a deeper spiritual journey. He was proud of his self-righteousness, thinking that his obedience to the law made him blameless. But as the story unfolds, he comes to understand that justice is not limited to legalistic obedience but involves a deeper relationship with God. His understanding evolves, and he recognizes his limitations. The law, as seen in Job’s case, does not grant life in the ultimate sense.

3. Paul’s Perspective: The writings of the Apostle Paul are fundamental to understanding the relationship between justice and the law. He argues that, while there is a form of justice found in the law, it is not sufficient for the salvation and eternal life of all. In passages like Philippians 2:15, 3:6, 3:9, and 1 Thessalonians 3:13, Paul discusses the concept of “blamelessness” in the context of the law. He himself was a zealous Pharisee who believed in the righteousness of the law, as he states in Philippians 3:6. However, he recognizes the limitations of the law and that true justice is found in faith in Christ. In Galatians 2:21, he emphasizes that God’s grace would be nullified if justice were entirely achievable through the law, implying that the law, while sufficient to lead some to a form of justice, is imperfect when it comes to bringing all of humanity to perfect righteousness and eternal life.

4. Jesus’ Encounter with the Rich Young Ruler: The story of the rich young ruler in the Gospels illustrates the idea that mere observance of the law may not be enough for something beyond eternal life. Jesus challenges the rich young ruler to go beyond legalistic observance of the law and to give up his worldly possessions to follow Him and attain, beyond eternal life through obedience to the law’s justice, treasure in heaven. This demonstrates that a higher level of commitment is required than merely following the law to achieve a reward. It suggests that the law, while valuable, cannot, by itself, grant life in its fullest sense.

5. New Covenant: The concept of a New Covenant is also crucial for understanding the shift in perspective. Hebrews 8:7 highlights that the first covenant was not without flaws, leading to the need for a new covenant. The New Covenant, according to Christian theology, is based on faith in the atonement of Christ rather than strict adherence to the Mosaic Law. It signifies a shift away from the idea that the law alone can grant life.

The bronze serpent, mentioned in the Old Testament, specifically in the book of Numbers, chapter 21, verses 4-9, represented a symbol of healing and liberation. The story describes how the Israelites, while in the wilderness, began to complain and murmur against God and Moses due to the difficulties they were facing, including being bitten by venomous snakes.

According to the narrative, God instructed Moses to make a bronze serpent and raise it on a pole. He told the people that if anyone was bitten by a venomous snake, they could look at the bronze serpent and would be healed. The act of looking at the bronze serpent was an act of faith and obedience to God’s instructions, and healing was granted as a result.

The bronze serpent, therefore, was an object of veneration, a symbol of faith and trust in divine intervention for healing and liberation. In the context of John 3:14-15, Jesus was using this story as an analogy to illustrate that, in the same way, He would be “lifted up” (a reference to His crucifixion), and those who looked to Him in faith would be spiritually healed and receive full and eternal life, just as it was done in the time of Moses. Therefore, the bronze serpent in Moses’ story was a symbol of healing and salvation.

Jesus explained about being born again and entering the Kingdom of Heaven to attain Eternal Life. This is not the same path to attaining eternal life through the Law.

I emphasize that the “cherry on top” is the context of Jesus’ encounter with the Rich Young Ruler described in the article. It is true that Jesus also discussed the topic of Eternal Life with another Jew, Nicodemus; however, this encounter was outside the context of the Law. In John 3, Jesus explained about being born again and entering the Kingdom of Heaven to attain Eternal Life. This is not the same path to attaining eternal life through the Law.

Furthermore, the article also mentions the bronze serpent, found in the Old Testament, specifically in the book of Numbers, chapter 21, verses 4-9. It represented a symbol of healing and liberation. The story describes how the Israelites, while in the wilderness, began to complain and murmur against God and Moses due to the hardships they were facing, including being bitten by venomous snakes.

According to the narrative, God instructed Moses to make a bronze serpent and place it on a pole. He told the people that if anyone was bitten by a venomous snake, they could look at the bronze serpent and be healed. Looking at the bronze serpent was an act of faith and obedience to God’s instructions, and as a result, healing was granted.

The bronze serpent, therefore, was an object of veneration, a symbol of faith and trust in divine intervention for healing and liberation. In the context of John 3:14-15, Jesus was using this story as an analogy to illustrate that, in the same way, He would be “lifted up” (a reference to His crucifixion), and those who looked to Him in faith would be spiritually healed and receive full and eternal life, just as was done in the time of Moses. Therefore, the bronze serpent in Moses’ story was a symbol of healing and salvation.

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. Mattews 19:16-17 KJV

In this verse, Jesus is responding to someone who inquires about how to attain eternal life. Jesus indicates that the key to eternal life is the observance of God’s commandments. Therefore, according to this verse, obedience to the commandments is seen as important in the pursuit of eternal life. However, Jesus offered the option of perfection and reward to the rich young man, while the path with Nicodemus is to “be born again” and enter the Kingdom of God to achieve eternal life, which is the main theme of the Gospels. One does not negate the other. While the first deals with eternal life for the circumcised descendants of Abraham, the other deals with making non-circumcised individuals also children of God.

The concept of eternal life is found in Daniel 12:2, so it would be appropriate for a zealous follower of the Jewish commandments to inquire of Jesus about how to attain eternal life.

It is true that the concept of Eternal Life, initially associated with humanity in Genesis 3:22, appears to have been explicitly attributed to God alone, as seen in Deuteronomy 32:40. However, God’s precepts remain an essential part of human life, as evidenced in Psalm 118:93.

In Genesis 3:22, the passage relates to the moment when humanity ate from the forbidden fruit, and God expressed concern about the possibility of humans also eating from the “tree of life” and living forever. This initial association with Eternal Life was linked to humans, but the continuation of the biblical narrative indicates that this condition was revoked for humanity.

Deuteronomy 32:40, on the other hand, reaffirms God’s absolute control over life and death, emphasizing His sovereignty and authority over eternal destiny. This passage underscores the uniqueness of Eternal Life in relation to God.

However, God’s precepts, as mentioned in Psalm 118:93, continue to serve as spiritual and ethical guidelines that steer people’s lives. While the ability to live eternally may be exclusive to God, obedience to God’s precepts is seen as a path to a life that reflects God’s will and draws individuals spiritually closer to the idea of Eternal Life.

So, while Eternal Life may be exclusive to God, obedience to God’s precepts remains a crucial aspect of people’s lives, connecting them with divine will and guidance.

“Like the dew of Hermon that descends upon the mountains of Zion, for there the Lord has commanded the blessing, life forever.” Psalm 132:3

*** The universal assembly (ἐκκλησία καθ᾽ ὅλης – Acts 9:31) throughout Judea was mostly made up of circumcised individuals.

And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. Genesis 26:4-5 KJV

A song that is said about the depths of the waters of the Lord; my heart did not exalt itself, and my eyes did not lift up, and I did not walk in great and wondrous things beyond me. I did not lay my hand on hidden things, and my soul is tranquil until the precepts of the Law are fulfilled. Thus, Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity.” – Targum Ketuvim Tehillim 131

The phrase “Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity” could be interpreted as a poetic expression that suggests that the people of Israel are in a constant spiritual journey toward God and eternity. It is not a direct quotation, but it reflects the aspiration of the Jewish community to follow divine precepts and find their way toward eternity, aligning with the concept of resurrection and the pursuit of eternal life as discussed in Daniel 12:2.
Transgression of the Law brings death (1 John 3:4), whereas keeping the Commandments, one enters into life (Mt 19:17). As for refering to the rantings of the false prophet Paul, which would be the tare seed, the message of the evil one, by which the many will die (Mt 13), Paul's false gospel of grace is in contrast to the message of the kingdom of God, in which the "many" are destroyed for following the false prophets (Mt 7:12-23 & Mt 13). As for the Spirit of God in men, when men die, their spirit returns to God, and their bodies go to the grave. As for "life forever", everlasting life, that would be gift given after judgment day, except for the false prophet and the beast, who appear unable to die when thrown into the furnace of fire (Rev 20). Apparently they gained eternal life at their own detriment. Beware what one wishes for.

2ndpillar

You Must Practise the Law to Attain Eternal Life. In Christendom they are taught the Opposite.
"Christendom" is basically founded on the work of the Roman emperor Constantine, the Roman emperor Theodosius, the false prophet Paul, and the "worthless shepherd" Peter (Zech 11:16), amalgamated under the office of the Pontifex Maximus (Pope) of the Catholic church and her daughter churches. They Constitute heads of the beast (Rev 17), the daughters of Babylon, and the false prophets. Their followers either "come out of her", or suffer her "plagues" (Rev 18:4).

Betho_br

Transgression of the Law brings death (1 John 3:4), whereas keeping the Commandments, one enters into life (Mt 19:17). As for refering to the rantings of the false prophet Paul, which would be the tare seed, the message of the evil one, by which the many will die (Mt 13), Paul's false gospel of grace is in contrast to the message of the kingdom of God, in which the "many" are destroyed for following the false prophets (Mt 7:12-23 & Mt 13). As for the Spirit of God in men, when men die, their spirit returns to God, and their bodies go to the grave. As for "life forever", everlasting life, that would be gift given after judgment day, except for the false prophet and the beast, who appear unable to die when thrown into the furnace of fire (Rev 20). Apparently they gained eternal life at their own detriment. Beware what one wishes for.

Life asked of you, and you gave it to her, even length of days forever and ever. (Psalm 21:4 ACF) Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commandments always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever! Deuteronomy 5:29 (sempiternum in the Vulgate, the word לְעֹלָֽם also occurs in Genesis 3:22, Deuteronomy 32:40). These are examples that keeping the commandments is related to eternal life.

Paul preached the gospel to uncircumcised Gentiles residing outside Judea. They were added to the Jerusalem church by the Council of Jerusalem, which was zealous for the observance of the law.

Betho_br

"Christendom" is basically founded on the work of the Roman emperor Constantine, the Roman emperor Theodosius, the false prophet Paul, and the "worthless shepherd" Peter (Zech 11:16), amalgamated under the office of the Pontifex Maximus (Pope) of the Catholic church and her daughter churches. They Constitute heads of the beast (Rev 17), the daughters of Babylon, and the false prophets. Their followers either "come out of her", or suffer her "plagues" (Rev 18:4).
I see issues with this argument, as the Church of Rome was already significant during the time of Romans 1:8, and this is further supported by the context of Pliny's letter to Emperor Trajan.

2ndpillar

I see issues with this argument, as the Church of Rome was already significant during the time of Romans 1:8, and this is further supported by the context of Pliny's letter to Emperor Trajan.
There was no "significant" "Church" of Rome during the writing of Romans 1:8, only two messages being proclaimed. One being the message of the devil (evil one (Mt 13) propagated by the "enemy", the false prophet Paul, which was the false gospel of grace, the tare seed, and the message of Yeshua, the good seed, which was the message of the kingdom. The Roman church was established by way of the proclaimed Pontifex Maximus (leadership of the pagan church), whose authority flowed through Julius Caesar to the Augustus Causers, such as Trajan, Constantine, etc.

2ndpillar

Life asked of you, and you gave it to her, even length of days forever and ever. (Psalm 21:4 ACF) Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commandments always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever! Deuteronomy 5:29 (sempiternum in the Vulgate, the word לְעֹלָֽם also occurs in Genesis 3:22, Deuteronomy 32:40). These are examples that keeping the commandments is related to eternal life.

Paul preached the gospel to uncircumcised Gentiles residing outside Judea. They were added to the Jerusalem church by the Council of Jerusalem, which was zealous for the observance of the law.
Psalm 21:4 is with respect to king David, who per Ez 37, in the last days, will rule the combined house of Judah with the house of Israel, during the time of the "kingdom". Yeshua's message was to keep the Commandments to enter into life. That life represents not being separated from God, a spiritual life. Your "Council of Jerusalem" per Acts, was presumably written by a supposed cohort of the false prophet Paul. As for Paul being "zealous", yes, he was responsible for the murder of Stephen, a tribute to his zealousness, but according to Yeshua, per Mt 23, he and his followers will be held accountable, and not in a good way. Paul was a Pharisee of Pharisees, with respect to the Law, in front of the Jews, but was a Gentile to the Gentiles, in front of the Gentiles, and not held accountable, and could eat things sacrificed to the gods, because he declared there were no gods. Paul is a true example for all politicians.

Betho_br

And behold, a certain lawyer stood up, testing Him, and saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?" And he answered, saying, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." And He said to him, "You have answered rightly; do this and you will live." (Luke 10:25-28 NKJV)

The Greek verb ζήσῃ (zēsē) "you will live" has the following characteristics:

1. Deponent voice:
- Deponent verbs in Greek are those that have a middle or passive form but have an active meaning. However, they are conjugated similarly to passive or middle verbs. Therefore, even though the form is similar to a passive or middle voice, the meaning is active.

2. Indicative mood:
- The indicative mood is used to express concrete facts, statements, real actions, and events that actually occur. In the case of "ζήσῃ" in the indicative mood, it suggests that the action of "to live" is affirmed as a reality or certainty, with a continuous and permanently effective action.

3. Future tense:
- The future tense indicates that the action of the verb will take place in the future in relation to the moment of speaking. In this case, "ζήσῃ" suggests "you will live" in the future.

This is the essence of the Law according to the words of Jesus. However, He also said:

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." (Mark 10:45, Matthew 20:28 NKJV)

This ransom, not covered by the Law, refers to the redemption of those who could not benefit from it, such as lepers and Gentiles, among others.

"But now in Christ Jesus, you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near." (Ephesians 2:13-17 NKJV)

Elihoenai

John 17:3

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Romans 3:4

4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Eternal Life/Life Eternal is to Know the Only True Elohim/God and Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ.

The Law is For Sinners and Every Man is a Sinner/Liar, therefore, you Must Observe the Law to Attain Life Eternal/Eternal Life.