• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can someone please explain to me the difference

waitasec

Veteran Member
You are looking for reason?
The opinion of the majority doesn't have to be reasonable.

I think a majority of people are persuaded by rhetoric not fact or logic. People skilled in rhetoric influence the opinion of the masses. Some get especially skilled in rhetoric, among them many religious leaders.

It's kind of amazing how one well written speech can control huge numbers of people. Facts and logic fail in the presence of great rhetoric.
ain't that the truth...

ron4711

I think a majority of people are persuaded by rhetoric not fact or logic. People skilled in rhetoric influence the opinion of the masses. Some get especially skilled in rhetoric, among them many religious leaders.

Most religions teach from authority rather than reason. This is why monarchy is so entertwined with religion. Both teach people to be unquestioning followers.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
i miss read your post...
it wasn't allowed before and i don't know why...

Same-sex marriage has been banned by state law for over a decade. But the current crop of idiots in the state legislature thought that a law might be too easily overturned, so they opted for a constitutional amendment.

Harmonious

in light of the same sex marriage ban in NC
between...

"i can get married but you can't"
and
"i can practice my religion but you can't"
No. That's why, even though I'm against homosexual marriage on principle, I've never been against legalizing it.

Harmonious

I don't want to go into that. I'll keep my distance from homosexuality threads. I was just wondering who was it that wasn't allowed to practice their religion.

This is the thing. My objection to homosexual marriage is religious in nature. If someone who didn't believe in my religion decided to marry against the tenets of my religion but not against theirs (or the lack thereof), I have no right to force the tenets of my religion on those people.

If the government grants people rights based on the status of their marriage, then marriage (as defined by the state that grants rights to married people) should not choose religious definitions and objections when forming the parameters of what defines a marriage.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Thats cause the christians want to discriminate against all the pagans and wiccans wanting to have same sex marriages and wild orgies. People be player hating.

haters-gonna-hate-cat.jpg

chinu

chinu
between...

and
The difference is that marriges do not need donations to plan their honeymoons, where as religions need donations to plan their honeymoons. :D

Tbone

between...

and

It's really rather simple, everyone can marry one other person of the oppisite sex.
None of us can marry another person of the same sex. It's the same for everyone.

It's really rather simple, everyone can marry one other person of the oppisite sex.
None of us can marry another person of the same sex. It's the same for everyone.

Not quite. Let me quote my own post from page two with a few minor word changes to give you an idea how rights are being denied:

"...if gay marriage is allowed then the hetero Christian has the right to marry a person of the opposite sex and the choice not to marry a person of the same sex according to his beliefs and desires. At the same time, a homosexual has the choice to marry a person of the opposite sex and the right to marry a person of the same sex according to his beliefs and desires. But, if gay marriage is banned, while it's true that no one, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike, has the right to marry a person of the same sex, the hetero Christian still has the right to marry the opposite sex according to his/her beliefs and desires but the homosexual does not have the right to marry the same sex according to his beliefs and desires."

So no, it's not the same for everyone. What good is it to the homosexual who desires to marry the same sex to know that heterosexuals cannot marry the same sex the same as him when he knows the heterosexual has no desire to do so anyway? It's a BS argument that overlooks the fact that the Christian gets what he wants either way but the homosexual does not.

For me, it is not a proposition that the homosexual should be allowed to marry the same sex but rather, a question as to why they shouldn't be allowed to marry the same sex. Beyond their outdated religious ideals and their own definition of the word "marriage", the Christian gay marriage opponents have no practical reasons not to allow it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What facts and logic do you deem pertinent.

The pertinent facts are there remains sufficient religious and personal bias to prevent a majority of Americas from passing laws protecting the right of Gay marriage.

You're not going to easily defeat that bias with logic and facts. However if you can appeal to their compassion with the right media and rhetoric you're likely to make quicker progress.

Tbone

Not quite. Let me quote my own post from page two with a few minor word changes to give you an idea how rights are being denied:

"...if gay marriage is allowed then the hetero Christian has the right to marry a person of the opposite sex and the choice not to marry a person of the same sex according to his beliefs and desires. At the same time, a homosexual has the choice to marry a person of the opposite sex and the right to marry a person of the same sex according to his beliefs and desires. But, if gay marriage is banned, while it's true that no one, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike, has the right to marry a person of the same sex, the hetero Christian still has the right to marry the opposite sex according to his/her beliefs and desires but the homosexual does not have the right to marry the same sex according to his beliefs and desires."

So no, it's not the same for everyone. What good is it to the homosexual who desires to marry the same sex to know that heterosexuals cannot marry the same sex the same as him when he knows the heterosexual has no desire to do so anyway? It's a BS argument that overlooks the fact that the Christian gets what he wants either way but the homosexual does not.

For me, it is not a proposition that the homosexual should be allowed to marry the same sex but rather, a question as to why they shouldn't be allowed to marry the same sex. Beyond their outdated religious ideals and their own definition of the word "marriage", the Christian gay marriage opponents have no practical reasons not to allow it.
Thyat's quite a spin you're doing there. Are you dizzy yet?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Same can be said for:

It's really very simple, everyone is free to practice a monotheistic religion.

No one is allowed to be atheist, polytheistic, or henotheistic.

Sounds delightful and fair, isn't it? I mean, it's not like you're not allowed to practice ANY religion. Just the ones we like.