• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can "secular" ideologies/institutions be as violent as "religious"?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Can ideologies and institutions labelled as "secular" be just as violent as labelled "religious", please?

Regards

Quran [2:31]
"And when thy Lord said to the angels: ‘I am about to place a vicegerent in the earth,’ they said: ‘Wilt Thou place therein such as will cause disorder in it, and shed blood? — and we glorify Thee with Thy praise and extol Thy holiness.’ He answered: ‘I know what you know not.’ "

The Holy Quran - Chapter: 2: Al-Baqarah

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Can ideologies and institutions labelled as "secular" be just as violent as labelled "religious", please?

Regards

"And when thy Lord said to the angels: ‘I am about to place a vicegerent in the earth,’ they said: ‘Wilt Thou place therein such as will cause disorder in it, and shed blood? — and we glorify Thee with Thy praise and extol Thy holiness.’ He answered: ‘I know what you know not.’ "

Sure, but can religion provide the same rights to minoritys that the best examples of secularism has?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
IMO, just because a religion can talk out of both sides of its mouth shouldn't disqualify it as a religion. Who says that a religion has to be all good?
What would its the reason for being be, then?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Yes, and secular ideologies/institutions can be just as motivated to do violence as religious ones.

There's no significant difference in that regard between the two.

But some ideologies/institutions -- both religious and secular -- are better at managing and/or encouraging their adherents to be non-violent than are others. We could all learn a lot from Tibetan Buddhism, for instance. It's not perfect, but it has a great track record.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What would its the reason for being be, then?
Control.

I think most religions have been established by those wanting to control a population, be it a tribe or much larger arena of people. And I believe this has been done by promising a people that if they believe and do as one says (XY&Z) their life will be better, or at least not made any worse. And what better basis for one's decrees than an unquestionable, supernatural authority with the power to do just that, AND whom only you have access to. "In order to attain a better life this is what the grand PoohBah above requires of you. Do ABCD & E . . . . . Oh yes, that will be 30 scrubles or the sacrifice of your firstborn male child please. Thank you, and don't forget; to renew your protection: next week, same time, same place."

Last edited:

KT Shamim

Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

Regards

Yeah
WW1 and 2 come to mind

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sure.

However, a better, more natural question would be: What makes a religion valid if it does not even know how to discourage violence among its own adherents?
G-d did not say that every person who just takes name of a religion as a label will become him peaceful, the same happens with a person who takes Humanist as label does not make him a humanist, either. Does it, please?

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
G-d did not say that every person who just takes name of a religion as a label will become him peaceful, the same happens with a person who takes Humanist as label does not make him a humanist, either. Does it, please?

Regards
Uh... I am not sure of what you mean. Nor do I think you answered the question that I proposed.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Uh... I am not sure of what you mean. Nor do I think you answered the question that I proposed.
Those who don't follow Word of G-d, but only take label of a religion just as a politician to become rulers do not belong to the truthful religion, they merit to be numbered with the irreligious or the secular. Does it help, please?

Regards

Bad examples, none of the major combatants in either conflict were secular.

You live in France don't you? Weren't they secular again by that point?

Then there's the Soviets who definitely were. Nazi Germany gets a bit more complex and is arguable either way although wasn't traditional religious. Britain mostly as secular as it is today, etc.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Those who don't follow Word of G-d, but only take label of a religion just as a politician to become rulers do not belong to the truthful religion, they merit to be numbered with the irreligious or the secular. Does it help, please?

Regards
It helps a bit.

Trouble is, many people seem to sincerely believe to, as you put it, follow the word of god in destructive ways.

Therefore, no, I can't quite agree with you.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You live in France don't you? Weren't they secular again by that point?

Then there's the Soviets who definitely were. Nazi Germany gets a bit more complex and is arguable either way although wasn't traditional religious. Britain mostly as secular as it is today, etc.
WW1, at least, had a sizeable side of "God-given destiny" to its motivation, IMO.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It helps a bit.

Trouble is, many people seem to sincerely believe to, as you put it, follow the word of god in destructive ways.

Therefore, no, I can't quite agree with you.
But there is no commandment in the Word to become destructive. The righteous persons don't become destructive, they promote peace.

Regards

WW1, at least, had a sizeable side of "God-given destiny" to its motivation, IMO.

WW2 also given Hitler's apparent belief in a sense of destiny that was perhaps desitic (although is hard to classify).

The primary forces for WW1 were nationalism and politics though. Many believed god favoured their side, but I'm not sure how easily such people can be differentiated from secular nationalists/revolutionaries from the Romantic or Enlightenment traditions.

Nationalism is a 'religious-type' concept anyway, whether it is tied to religion or purely secular.