• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Science Tell Us When There's A Right To Life?

TurkeyOnRye

The only thing that fits the Bill is abstinence, though one might argue that not having sex interferes with having sex...

True, there is nothing else that fits the bill (and yes, I would argue abstinence does interfere with sex. :D).

But perhaps one day we'll have birth control pills that you take once and last for years, or perhaps some other method that we have not yet considered. Who knows what stuff like nanotechnology or synthesized medicine might bring?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
True, there is nothing else that fits the bill (and yes, I would argue abstinence does interfere with sex. :D).

But perhaps one day we'll have birth control pills that you take once and last for years, or perhaps some other method that we have not yet considered. Who knows what stuff like nanotechnology or synthesized medicine might bring?
nanotechnology?

lol
The first thing I pictured was a bunch of little robots killing off the sperms as they raced down the fallopian tube.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'll go against the tide here and say that, while science cannot answer the question, it can inform the answer.

Science can tell us (and has) when a fetus becomes independently viable (iow, when it can survive outside of the womb), iirc that's at approximately 25 weeks.

I've heard it argued that the fetus' right to life is attained with viability.