• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can science finally explain where we get the morals we believe in?

Bear Wild

OK - so if chimps and trees have 'culture' its not the kind of culture anthropologists talk about - I believe I did mention that it would not be the same as 'human culture' once or twice. I think we have to be careful here because anthropomorphization (Good Lord! is that really a word?) can work both ways - we can incorrectly assume that other species have 'anthropo' characteristics when they really do not or that they don't have something that is very similar when in fact they do.

So is 'human culture' a miracle? Has it emerged spontaneously out of 'no culture at all' after the point where our evolutionary tree branched off from the other primates? I am very suspicious of suggestions of that kind of radical emergence. Or is it rather just a more complex expression of an ability that stretches back much further - the propensity for forming groups with 'division of labour' and elements of 'self-sacrificing' strategies that promote the overall survival prospects of the group over the 'selfish individual'? Is human culture really more than that when it comes down to it? Because if it isn't, then it should be amenable to scientific study just as bacterial or other primate 'cultures' are - and perhaps we find the prospect of studying culture with genuine scientific rigour daunting and the subject wrapped in mystery only because it is incredibly complex in its expression, not because it is fundamentally 'other' than that of other species. After all, we are still only scratching the surface of how even bacterial colonies communicate, adapt and cooperate in order to survive...we have a very long way to go to understand how human culture evolves and works from a scientific perspective - and even longer before we have a genuine 'science of morality' - but that doesn't mean there can't be one.
When you think of how new the science of ethnology is and the resistance if faced for so long it is amazing what we have learned do far. First we had to remove the long standing believe that animals were purely instinct - automated like machines. The discussion of emotions in animals was unheard of as a respectable study has only very recently been acceptable and yet still gets considerable resistance. Despite this resistance the more research that occurs the more barriers are disproven. In the book Neuronal Correlates of Empathy: from rodent to human edited by Ksenia Meyza and Ewelina Kapaska 2018 the studies show the extensive similarity of the neural networks and behavioral patterns of animals and humans in respect to empathy.

siti

In the book Neuronal Correlates of Empathy: from rodent to human edited by Ksenia Meyza and Ewelina Kapaska 2018 the studies show the extensive similarity of the neural networks and behavioral patterns of animals and humans in respect to empathy.
Yes indeed! I was following this research with interest a few years ago - but I lost track a bit - I had no idea there was a text-book - I have to read that. Thanks for that.

Bear Wild

I find the "finally" in the title a bit tendentious, implying that science has attempted a "final" account of the origins of morality. I'm not at all sure that it has.

It seems fairly obvious that quite a lot of basic moral principles can be important for cooperation and cohesion among a group of animals, and thus that the ability to behave in this way is something one would expect nature to select for. But I am quite sure that one could come up with a lot of detailed aspects of the morality of different societies that could not easily be explained in this way. Human animals have language and imagination and create complex cultures, which can throw off all sorts of side effects in terms of attitudes and behaviour.

But the basis for the different morality of different societies is still built on the same neurologic pathways and hormones shaped by natural selection that allowed for more cohesive and complex social interaction and that is what our neuroscience is discovering. I think that language can create over complex descriptions of morals and morality trying to make it more cerebral/cognitive than moral behavior is. The research has in psychology has made a big distinction between intuitive/emotional morals that are primitive and reasoned morals that are more cerebral and beyond the intuitive emotional forms. Neuroscience, ethnology, and evolutionary behavior research is showing this is not what is happening but rather the intuitive and emotional neuronal networks and the cognitive networks have been evolving together and continuously interact. More complex social interaction require more complex behaviors as seen in humans but they are built on the same selected neuropathways as other animals. This is what science is discovering and it is changing the way we see morals and morality in humans.

Look at empathy in men and women. It was not so long ago that women were seen as the more emotional sex then men who were more cognitive. In the western world we value the cognitive/reasoning behavior more than emotional behavior. Studies have clearly shown that women tend to me more empathetic then men are which is just as an important behavior as cognitive/reasoning behavior for social cohesiveness. This is supported by the fact that women release more oxytocin in men which is a hormone associated with empathy.
It is very plausible that the parent infant bond which is influenced by oxytocin is the original source of social behavior since empathy is essential in this bond.

siti

trying to make it more cerebral/cognitive than moral behavior is.
Second that! Essentially morality is a balancing act between what's good for me and what's good for the group (isn't it?). Its complicated by the fact that there are a lot of 'mes' and an amazing diversity among groups of them...and then further complicated by the fact that humans are capable of symbolizing their morality in language and cultural emblems...etc. So its a bit of a gordian knot to unravel, but I suspect when we do unravel it, it'll be found to be made out of strands that are common, though less complexly interwoven, among other species.

Bear Wild

Notably, humanity does not deem sex slavery, pedophilia, the gunning down of helpless little children, brutality, democide, gang rape, racism or even serial homicide as merely socially improper conduct, like, say, picking your nostrils at the dinner table. Much rather, these jolt, outrage as well as horrify. They’re confronted as morally abominable facts -as undeniable acts of evil. (This is why, since time immemorial, even the most primitive cultures, regardless of their spiritual values, enforced laws and regulations against homicide and various other acts of evil.)

On the flip side, love, equality or self-sacrifice are more than just socially useful acts, like, say, bringing a lady roses on a first date. Rather, these are regarded as good moral facts; conduct which is actually good.

That said, irrational beasts don't possess such **objective** morals. Just about everything they do is the denouement of behavioral instinct not shared knowledge handed down from one era to the next, their woefully limited cognition notwithstanding. So whenever a lion savagely kills some other, it doesn't believe it's committing homicide. Any time a peregrine falcon or a bald eagle snatches prey away from another, it doesn't think it's stealing. Each time primates violently force themselves onto females as well as their little ones they’re not tried and convicted of rape or pedophilia. Needless to say, we undoubtedly didn't “inherit” our **objective** moral sense from these.

**Objective** morals are never derived from scientific research because science, by its very nature, is morally nihilistic. From where, then perhaps, did we obtain our **universal objective morals**?

Consider the following:

(1) If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties don't exist.

(2) If evil exists, objective moral values and duties exist.

(3) Evil exists.

(4) Therefore, objective moral values and duties do exist.

(5) Therefore, God exists.

(6) Therefore, God is the locus of all objective moral values and duties.

That's to say, as Dostoevsky once mused, "If there is no God, everything is permitted."
There is so much wrong with this post its hard to know where to begin. You clearly have no understanding of recent neuroscience discoveries or up to date about all of the studies in the wild as well as the experiments in empathy behavior in animals. Moral behavior has existed long before man created god. Humans have described what is evil based on how natural selection has shaped our brains and behavior. Thus humans decide what is evil. Morals are not objective they are the interplay between out intuitive/emotional brain and our cognitive brain. Thus humans decide what they believe is moral without any god or goddess to tell them. Humans then create god to support their decision on what they think are the correct morals and what is not so that there is some higher power to point too so that you can feel correct. God has nothing to do with morals or duties.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Conscience is a moral GUIDE only. It does not influence the exercise of freewill at all. We are free to behave as we choose. So, if the behavior of children can be easily coerced and manipulated, that is not evidence that their conscience has been coerced and manipulated.
If their consciences say "don't kill" and they are led to believe killing is acceptable, then conscience has been overridden.
Conscience and socialization, for most, is a thin veneer. Historically, people have supplanted it with the norms of their social group. We behave as those around us expect us to, and we're wonderful rationalizers.

Our Pleistocene tribalism is more robust than religious training or socialization. It can surface anytime the social context re-inforcing our 'civilized' behavior is altered.
Wartime examples abound.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
But are most peoples really so so consequentialist?

I think they all are, as that is really what morality is about at bottom.
Immoral behaviour is always coupled with negative consequences for others, one way or the other. That is in fact what makes the acts immoral.

The ONLY "immoral" acts that I know of that have NO (real) consequences (negative OR positive), or those acts that are condemned through religious appeals to perceived authority. Like masturbation supposedly being "evil". Or at least: I can't think of any such acts of which the supposed "evil" or "immoral" aspect does NOT have religious underpinnings.

Can you give me an example of an act that we might both agree on to be immoral, but which has no real detectable consequences and for which the reasoning of the evaluation in moral terms does NOT have religious underpinnings?

Lots of laws and prescribed behaviors are downright dysfunctional, and clearly unfair.

Laws don't necessarily reflect morals though.
Having said that, not really sure what you mean here exactly.

It seems to me that most civilized moral systems are more supportive of a status quo, usually hierarchical, than they are designed with any idealistic system of equality or fairness in mind.

Again not sure what you mean here. Status quo of what? Hierarchical in what way?

How do you explain the abolishment of slavery, while it hasn't been seen as a real problem for millenia?
How do you explain the current breakdown of homophobia and the pretty much global realisation (albeit slowly) that discriminating people based on sexual orientation is not okay?
How do you explain animal rights?

All these things are fairly recent moral developments.
It's not like any gods hav send extra moral instructions the past 300 years or whatever...
Clearly we figured out on our own that what was previously considerd a-okay, is now recognised as being evil.

So, what changed? Religion didn't change.... it's the same religions people have been following for more then 1500 years, 2000 years, in some cases even 3000 years.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK - so if chimps and trees have 'culture' its not the kind of culture anthropologists talk about - I believe I did mention that it would not be the same as 'human culture' once or twice. I think we have to be careful here because anthropomorphization (Good Lord! is that really a word?) can work both ways - we can incorrectly assume that other species have 'anthropo' characteristics when they really do not or that they don't have something that is very similar when in fact they do.
Who said trees have culture? and chimps -- it's only been recently that primatologists have proposed that they have any kind of culture, either.
So is 'human culture' a miracle? Has it emerged spontaneously out of 'no culture at all' after the point where our evolutionary tree branched off from the other primates? I am very suspicious of suggestions of that kind of radical emergence. Or is it rather just a more complex expression of an ability that stretches back much further - the propensity for forming groups with 'division of labour' and elements of 'self-sacrificing' strategies that promote the overall survival prospects of the group over the 'selfish individual'? Is human culture really more than that when it comes down to it? Because if it isn't, then it should be amenable to scientific study just as bacterial or other primate 'cultures' are - and perhaps we find the prospect of studying culture with genuine scientific rigour daunting and the subject wrapped in mystery only because it is incredibly complex in its expression, not because it is fundamentally 'other' than that of other species. After all, we are still only scratching the surface of how even bacterial colonies communicate, adapt and cooperate in order to survive...we have a very long way to go to understand how human culture evolves and works from a scientific perspective - and even longer before we have a genuine 'science of morality' - but that doesn't mean there can't be one.
There are no miracles, and human culture is as amenable to scientific study as anything else. Where did you get the impression I was proposing anything else?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So where do you believe human morals come from?

I believe a complex equation of genetics, experience and expectation placed on you by other people. One's unconscious mind takes all of this and creates a set of feelings which you consciously experience about what is right and what is wrong. We feel what we feel and any rational thought we might have about morality comes after the fact.

The trick for me comes in realizing that we don't actually have to respond to those feelings generated by the unconscious mind. While the unconscious is there to help us survive, it is not always the most rational guide when it comes to providing feelings for us to experience.

joe1776

If their consciences say "don't kill" and they are led to believe killing is acceptable, then conscience has been overridden.
Are they forced to kill or are they "led to believe that killing is acceptable?" I don't think you can assume it's the latter.

Conscience and socialization, for most, is a thin veneer. Historically, people have supplanted it with the norms of their social group. We behave as those around us expect us to, and we're wonderful rationalizers.
And yet, these social groups have abolished slavery, are learning to treat women with equality, and have learned to treat each other better. How did they know they should do that?

Our Pleistocene tribalism is more robust than religious training or socialization. It can surface anytime the social context re-inforcing our 'civilized' behavior is altered. Wartime examples abound.
We are born with a conscience. Social scientists are researching it as the product of intuition. Religious training and "socialization" have their influence on behavior but not on moral intuition which, at its most basic, warns us not to intentionally cause harm to others.

Your worldview is pessimistic. I authored a thread a while back that argues for a more optimistic view.

Global Harmony is Inevitable

Last edited:

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.
There is so much wrong with this post its hard to know where to begin. You clearly have no understanding of recent neuroscience discoveries or up to date about all of the studies in the wild as well as the experiments in empathy behavior in animals. Moral behavior has existed long before man created god. Humans have described what is evil based on how natural selection has shaped our brains and behavior. Thus humans decide what is evil. Morals are not objective they are the interplay between out intuitive/emotional brain and our cognitive brain. Thus humans decide what they believe is moral without any god or goddess to tell them. Humans then create god to support their decision on what they think are the correct morals and what is not so that there is some higher power to point too so that you can feel correct. God has nothing to do with morals or duties.

And what happens when that innate moral sense gets mangled beyond all recognition?

siti

Who said trees have culture? and chimps -- it's only been recently that primatologists have proposed that they have any kind of culture, either.
Nobody said trees have culture - that's why said "if". And you are correct that it is only recently that primatologists have suggested that chimps have some kind of culture - but that is precisely because we were previously only looking at 'culture' through the lens of anthropology - that is exactly my point. And that 'culture' turns out to be more evident in chimps than in other species less closely related to humans, indicates that 'culture' - per se and not just the content of it - is an evolutionary aspect (as are all aspects) of life. There is then no reason to assume that it is a uniquely human - or even a uniquely primate or mammal - attribute. We should expect to see forms of it that have developed in different ways and are expressed in different - and probably less complex - ways in other species too. That's all I am saying...that we should not confine our understanding of culture to what we see human cultures do.

There are no miracles, and human culture is as amenable to scientific study as anything else. Where did you get the impression I was proposing anything else?
I was not taking issue with your comments, I was building on them. And of course human culture is amenable to scientific study - what I am suggesting is that human morality - as an aspect of human culture - can also be studied scientifically...that a 'science of morality' could be devised that would be able to predict what is or is not moral in particular cultural circumstances.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not think you are entirely correct on this. Chimps do not have a formal language to teach as in a formal human system but they do carry and keep toolkits for collecting honey. They demonstrate behavior to their offspring which are not inborn behaviors. They have a complex political system. They transmit cultural behavior which has also been seen in many different primates. So when you say do they actively teach in a way they demonstrate skills but without a verbal language. Clearly not as effective as humans but still effective enough to transmit learned behavior. Again there is a difference in degree but not in kind.
I don't see where we're in much disagreement here.
I think they all are, as that is really what morality is about at bottom.
Immoral behaviour is always coupled with negative consequences for others, one way or the other. That is in fact what makes the acts immoral.

The ONLY "immoral" acts that I know of that have NO (real) consequences (negative OR positive), or those acts that are condemned through religious appeals to perceived authority. Like masturbation supposedly being "evil". Or at least: I can't think of any such acts of which the supposed "evil" or "immoral" aspect does NOT have religious underpinnings.

Can you give me an example of an act that we might both agree on to be immoral, but which has no real detectable consequences and for which the reasoning of the evaluation in moral terms does NOT have religious underpinnings?
Apparently we're both more consequentialist than deontological, but many laws and religious injunctions are not. Many are based on religious writings, tradition or "ickyness" with no clear social function.
Laws don't necessarily reflect morals though.
Having said that, not really sure what you mean here exactly.
There's frequently a disconnect between the effect of an act and its legal status. Some illegal things have no clear purpose. Some illegal things are not generally regarded as immoral acts, and many acts I'd consider immoral are legal.
Again not sure what you mean here. Status quo of what? Hierarchical in what way?
Laws tend to support accepted attitudes and customs. People tend to fear disorder, and are often uncomfortable with change. People are most comfortable with familiarity and predictability. Laws and social customs tend to reflect this status quo.
Laws are made by aristocrats and owners, to support the interests of aristocrats and owners -- to the detriment of the people in general. They tend to support a social and economic hierarchy.
How do you explain the abolishment of slavery, while it hasn't been seen as a real problem for millenia?
It persisted as long as it was necessary. When it became economically feasible to replace it with less harsh forms of exploitation, the voices of the moralists were heard. Even so, in the US abolition had to be imposed on large sections of the country by the more urban, industrialized, seasonal North.
As I said. Laws reflect the status quo and that which benefits the powerful.
How do you explain the current breakdown of homophobia and the pretty much global realization (albeit slowly) that discriminating people based on sexual orientation is not okay?
Urbanization, increasing secularism and better communications and media coverage.
How do you explain animal rights?
Not sure what sort of explanation you're looking for, here. As with slavery, when the profit in it and social desire to exploit animals diminishes, the voices of their advocates will increasingly be heard.
All these things are fairly recent moral developments.
It's not like any gods hav send extra moral instructions the past 300 years or whatever...
Clearly we figured out on our own that what was previously considerd a-okay, is now recognised as being evil.
Yes, I do believe respect for basic rights and equal moral consideration is increasing. When exploitation is profitable to those in power, it persists despite clear religious injunctions and moral arguments against it. The American South defended slavery as religiously mandated, after all, and considered the northern opponents "damned Yankees" for trying to upset the divine order of things. Again, we're wonderful rationalizers.
You mentioned animal rights. There are clear arguments against animal cruelty and exploitation today, but those who benefit from such exploitation argue vociferously against it -- slaver vs abolitionist redux.
So, what changed? Religion didn't change.... it's the same religions people have been following for more then 1500 years, 2000 years, in some cases even 3000 years.
The religious texts didn't change, but interpretations always change to reflect current ideas of propriety, as do the passages cherry-picked to support this status quo.
Are they forced to kill or are they "led to believe that killing is acceptable?" I don't think you can assume it's the latter.
Sometimes the former, almost always the latter. I don't think our natural compunction against extra-tribal killing is very strong. It's easily overridden by convention.
Consider the strong nationalism and support for the military by Christian fundamentalists, whom you'd think would be cosmopolitan, anti-military pacifists, if they were actually heeding the gospels.
And yet, these social groups have abolished slavery, are learning to treat women with equality, and have learned to treat each other better. How did they know they should do that?
Most didn't, till the voices of the moral minority were finally heard; till the economic benefit of this discrimination lessened. Even so, these were contentious issues, particularly in rural, conservative, traditionalist regions.
We are born with a conscience. Social scientists are researching it as the product of intuition. Religious training and "socialization" have their influence on behavior but not on moral intuition which, at its most basic, warns us not to intentionally cause harm to others.
Yet look how weak and easily overridden this inborn conscience is. I don't see masses of people condemning the military or clamoring for animal rights; I don't see a massive movement to welcome the brown 'strangers among us' from South of the border. Quite the opposite, in many cases.
Your worldview is pessimistic. I authored a thread a while back that argues for a more optimistic view.
Perhaps so, but I'm aiming for realistic, not optimistic. I think human history, anthropology and psychology will back me up.

joe1776

Our Pleistocene tribalism is more robust than religious training or socialization. It can surface anytime the social context re-inforcing our 'civilized' behavior is altered.
Wartime examples abound.
We humans have known for centuries that we can manipulate the behavior of others using reward and punishment methods. But there is absolutely no evidence that we can use it to change their innate intuition. And that's what you are alleging without evidence.

Conscience is an intuitive moral guide only. People obviously ignore it for lots of reasons.

Last edited:

joe1776

Perhaps so, but I'm aiming for realistic, not optimistic.[in your worldview] I think human history, anthropology and psychology will back me up.
I linked you to my argument, including evidence, that ought to convince a realistic mind to become optimistic. Did you look it over?

wellwisher

The easiest way to investigate morality, in a scientific way, is to start with the premise, that morality is connected to the needs of the group, rather than the needs of the individual. Modern philosophy has confused morality, by pandering to the ego. Relative morality is about the needs of the individual being place before the needs of the group. This has no scientific basis. Rather, this is part of the atheist religion, as a way to divide the group. Now we have two factions instead of one.

Morality appeared with the formation of civilization. According to science, civilization is only about 6K-10K years old, which coordinates with the time frame of the writing of Genesis. Genesis discusses the tree of knowledge of good and evil, which is connected to the first moral law.

The first civilizations is when humans begin to live in large numbers with much higher population density than had been used by natural man; prehuman. This dense social environment created new problems. The old way of ego-centric choices; Darwinian survival of the individual, was not working out, resulting in conflict that could abort the formation of civilization. Scientific evidence shows that for several thousand years, before Mesopotamia, civilizations formed, but they all aborted, It was not until about 6000 years ago that the first civilization, survived. This coordinates with the invention of writing and the symbolism of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

For example, if you look at the ten commandments, these were not designed for relative morality and ego-centric choice. Thou shall not steal, for example, had an adverse impact on the relative morality of the scavenger/thief. The scavenging/thief behavior, although once natural, would cause stress within the larger group; farmers and storers of food. The group moral law became, nobody could steal or scavenge. This removed a source of conflict, that could divide the overly dense group of humans. This behavior may have been fine within the small mobile prehuman groups, but it was not good for the needs of civilization.

The first commandment is about there being one God and to not have any strange Gods before him. Religious conflict has always been a source that can divide the group, even if the relative morality of many god to choose from, was good for the ego of some new would-be leaders. By having one God this source of division was minimized.

If you look in terms of the group, morality was a logical solution to the needs of human nature, being forced to live with too many people, compared to natural living. It was sort of a way to help redefine instinct, in light of the needs of natural man in new unnatural social environment. It also developed willpower by forcing one to control the instinctive impulses of the pre-humans.

Last edited: