• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can reason be every bit as harmful as lack of reason because of human failings? And logic also?

Parsimony

It's possible for a person with superior reasoning to take advantage of someone with inferior reasoning by cheating them out of something. Or perhaps better said, a person may use inferior reasoning that sounds good to the listener in order to achieve some goal which they were aware of by using their own better reasoning. Scams come to mind. Such a thing would depend on poor reasoning or ignorance in the victim, so that would call for people to learn how to better reason in order to combat it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No.
Reason is one of the best tools we have.
It's a reason that I'm not running around with an AK47 yelling "Death to the infidels!".
It's also the reason I get vaccinated against tetanus & other nasty things.
Gotta get one for shingles too now.
Well, you have right of freedom of action to do anything you like? Haven't you? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Reason can be harmful because of closed thinking, arrogance and pride but it will always be better than lack of reason.
Well, it could be one aspect of harm.
How to make the arrogant one, closed thinking individual and proud one?
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It seems to me that logic alone (or logic backed by insufficient empirical evidence) can -- and often enough does -- lead people to absurd conclusions, such as America did not land men on the moon, vaccines cause autism, global climate change is a hoax, or the theory of evolution is largely or purely speculative. For that reason, logic must be checked against a sufficient weight of empirical evidence. And when it is, I call that combination of logical thinking and empirical evidence "reason".
You mean there should be a check on reason and logic? Is that what you mean? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Having said that, reason is not infallible. But many people who point out that reason is fallible are simplistic black and white thinkers. That is, they apparently think in terms of all or nothing. A more just and sophisticated view of reason would acknowledge that, while fallible, it is the most reliable guide that we have to the truth of things.
Agreed (magenta), how to make it fool-proof, to eradicate its fallibility in both secular and non-secular realms?
Please

freethinker44

Can reason be every bit as harmful as lack of reason because of human failings? And logic also?

Regard
I would liken it to navigating rapids on a river.
Reason and logic is like using a guide.
You can still get hurt even with a guide, but going it alone is suicide.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes, and very clearly so. It would be totally irrational and unreasonable to think anything different. Anyone who doesn't realise this has the potential to be dangerous as, like a religious fundamentalist, they underestimate their potential to be wrong.
You mean anybody under any good name could turn fundamentalist? The name does not restraint one from doing harm to others under umbrella of a good name.
If yes, I agree.
Regards

Shad

Veteran Member
Agreed (magenta), how to make it fool-proof, to eradicate its fallibility in both secular and non-secular realms?
Please

This will never happen. Fallibility is part of being human, we can and have been wrong. We are not capable of having perfect information all the time for every topic so we make mistakes. The best anyone can do is to challenge ideas that seem unreasonable, information that is false, biased, etc.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So reason is a tool, it could work both ways, it could benefit humans, if used appropriately and could harm humanity if used inappropriately. Right?
Thank G-d who has bestowed reason and intelligence to us humans. Right?
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Reason can be misleading in making people think something is true. It is false premises which are harmful and cause this.
I agree with you and many friends here have mentioned when humanity was harmed due to false premises that were though to be most reasonable.
Regards