• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can one find spirituality within technology?

Boethiah

Penguin
I just read this article on BBC: BBC News - Sweden recognises new file-sharing religion Kopimism

Basically, a religion in Sweden called Kopimism has finally gained government recognition, making the Swedish government the first government to recognize the religion. It is apparently based upon the sacredness of information and whatnot. It's website can be found here, but the website has been bombarded with traffic.

The whole concept got me thinking. There are many religions, and many of them are concerned with the natural and the supernatural. The reverence of the nature or God is common, but what about the reverence of man-made technology? Or perhaps the reverence of information, which arguably transcends technology.

That idea might be similar to humanism, but it is more directed.

I personally think that if God is omnipresent, then spirituality could be found in a number of sources.

For me, there's nothing that calms me more than one of these bad boys:

xterm.jpg

What do ya'll think?

Straw Dog

I just read this article on BBC: BBC News - Sweden recognises new file-sharing religion Kopimism

Basically, a religion in Sweden called Kopimism has finally gained government recognition, making the Swedish government the first government to recognize the religion. It is apparently based upon the sacredness of information and whatnot. It's website can be found here, but the website has been bombarded with traffic.

The whole concept got me thinking. There are many religions, and many of them are concerned with the natural and the supernatural. The reverence of the nature or God is common, but what about the reverence of man-made technology? Or perhaps the reverence of information, which arguably transcends technology.

That idea might be similar to humanism, but it is more directed.

I personally think that if God is omnipresent, then spirituality could be found in a number of sources.

For me, there's nothing that calms me more than one of these bad boys:

xterm.jpg

What do ya'll think?

I believe that technology can be utilized for the expansion of spirituality. After all, look at all the exchange of information and ideas occurring on this very website? The Internet in general has probably aided in the development of global consciousness more than what has ever happened before. Recent generations are much less fixated on national identity and more aware of the global village they're a part of.

Technology really just reveals the deepest secrets of nature that are already there. We tend to see technology as somehow wholly separate from primal nature, but its just an extension of it. You could call it artificial nature. It's not good or bad in itself, but in how we utilize it for our own well-being and spiritual evolution and enlightenment.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As long as technology is used as a catalyst, I see no real problems. That said, I think this particular instance is a tad frivolous. C'mon, copying information, as a spiritual pursuit? That's a bit of a reach. I'll have to remember that one the next time I am downloading a MP3. *sigh*