• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I get a witness

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Thought that was a good title for this question.

Do you witness or try to convert people to your beliefs? I know protheletizing it's not allowed here, but what technique do you use to witness if you have in fact tried to convert others outside of RF to your belief system?

Do you use the convert or go to hell approach?

Be nice and maybe they will ask approach?

Act and they will follow approach?

Do you just use logic and knowledge?

Other (as I am sure there are many other approaches to this)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
I'm not the one who's going to "convert" or "convince" anyone to believe as I do. All I can do is live what I believe and if I can, talk about what I believe. I've actually been accused (on this board) of 'proselytizing' for this :rolleyes:. Anyhow, it's up to God to actually turn the person's heart.

SoyLeche

meh...
Todd said:

Do you witness or try to convert people to your beliefs? I know protheletizing it's not allowed here, but what technique do you use to witness if you have in fact tried to convert others outside of RF to your belief system?

The "convert or go to hell" approach is very ineffective. Go for the good example.

Aqualung

Tasty
I do a combination. I try to lead by example. I try to be friendly to people, so they can see that LDS aren't as weird as they seem. I invite friends to church related activities so we can see what they are about. And I make sure that when the missionaries "drop by" my roommates are there. :D

Fatmop

Wow.. how would one convert another to atheism?

Too often I find myself defending my choice, rather than explaining it. That's probably not the best way to go.. I'd say "Good example," but it's very difficult to present a good example when atheists in America are portrayed as evil characters.

Fluffy

A fool
I think that there are acceptable ways to proselytise, all of which revolve around the idea of manipulation in one form or another.

jonny

Todd said:

Depends on the person. Some people respond to logic and knowledge. Other people just get interested because you are nice to them. I'm willing to bet that there are some people who you could even use the "convert or go to hell" approach on.

The most effective was to proselytize is to live your life the best you can - assuming that you are a decent person who tries to live a good life. If someone is really interested in why you are so happy or what makes you the way you are, you can share it with them. I don't like to pressure anyone to hear about my religion. They know what I am and know that I am open to speaking about it if they are interested.

Conversion is a personal process between an individual and God. Trying to manipulate this process usually results in a person trying to live a faith without having a strong foundation.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
nutshell said:
Be a good example, ask questions when asked, and make an invitation when appropriate.
I quite agree, though I don't actually try to convert people. I'll offer my help if people seem like they might have an interest, but beyond that I simply live an Orthodox Christian life to the best of my ability and pray.

James

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
My Lord taught me to love people into the Kingdom. I work on being a servant to as many as possible. Some think that I volunteer too much, and I think that I am still too selfish with my time. The best part about ScubaBoard.com is that it has given me a LOT of time to do for others. I never look for a reciprocal conversion: that's not the point. Conversions happen, but they are not my driving force: service is.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Todd said:
Do you witness or try to convert people to your beliefs?
I posted the following in response to Lilithu's wonderful thread in the UU forum, Confessions of a born-again evangelical UU: It's a complicated question. Should we actively promote our faith and religion? I think we should, but not in the way some other groups promote their faiths. I don't foresee UUs organizing to go door-to-door or stand on busy streets and handout leaflets. Nothing wrong with that, if that is part of their faith. That's just not us. I think we already spread the "good news" of UUism through our actions and deeds and causes. We make no claim that UUism is the only right religion or that even UU is right for everyone, even though we are open to all. We spread the word by being a positive presence in the world, and if people want to shout our "good news" from the rooftops, that's OK too.

If I feel someone could benefit from checking our church, I will mention it to them. Feeling at home in your church is one of the most important things, I believe, about being a part of any religious community. Having a place where you feel safe and be yourself and explore spirituality in a way that is right for you. You're right, we should be a beacon of hope to those who feel out of place where they are. Not to get UUs converts, I couldn't care less about the numbers game, but because it is so vitally important to a have true spiritual home no matter what you believe.

Never. Since most UUs don't believe in a hell, that would be a silly approach for us.

Deut 13:1

Todd said:

I tell people interested in Judaism, that they can be a perfectly good gentile and have a place in Olam Ha'ba, there is no reason for them to convert to Judaism, as it will take YEARS of study and drastic life-changes.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I honestly don't see a need for it. I just like to encourage people to find a faith that makes them happy- if it's UU, then fantastic. If it's Hinduism or any other religion (no cults, cults make me sad) that's fantastic, too.

pandamonk

Do nothing! Let them make up their own mind:149: ! If you are going to do anything, give them equal information on all the major religions and belief systems(including atheism)and let them make up their own mind. :D Don't give them false information or any information to put that belief system down in any way.

SoyLeche

meh...
pandamonk said:
Do nothing! Let them make up their own mind:149: ! If you are going to do anything, give them equal information on all the major religions and belief systems(including atheism)and let them make up their own mind. :D Don't give them false information or any information to put that belief system down in any way.
Sorry, but I don't have equal information on all of the major religions. If they want to know, they'll have to do their own research. BTW - if you don't know much about a religion, please refrain from explaining it to people.

(I just had some major De Ja Vu (Sp?) writing this, and I know I've never written anything like it before. Go figure.)

anders

Short answer: I'm a Swede.

That means, I will practically never get into a situation where I have a chance to promote my atheistic views. Before I get to that point, people will have lost interest and changed the subject. Not that I'm interested in having people think my way.

Exceptions would be if some Jehovah's Witnesses would knock on my door and I have some spare time. Not a very likely coincidence, though. In that case, I'd try to tell them that they're wrong, using the same book they use, rather than than trying to prove that I'm right.

This train of thought is facilitated by the fact that most people around me are atheists as well. My SO expresses it as "I have no religion", my younger sister has left the Church of Sweden, and at least her son, probably her daughters as well seem to have left as well. Mother (89) doesn't comment even when provoked, but she commented on a sermon at a local church bazar that it was thankfully brief.

Zephyr

Moved on
Luke Wolf said:
I never try to convert people, but I do explain things to them if they ask.
Same here. I don't like it when people try to convert me or my friends, especially when they don't know when to give up. I try to assume that others feel the same way.

pandamonk

SoyLeche said:
Sorry, but I don't have equal information on all of the major religions. If they want to know, they'll have to do their own research. BTW - if you don't know much about a religion, please refrain from explaining it to people.

(I just had some major De Ja Vu (Sp?) writing this, and I know I've never written anything like it before. Go figure.)
If you don't have equal info, then don't try to give them advise on what religion to choose, as your bias will not allow them to make up their own mind, unless the search for themselves, but if they did this they wouldn't need you. So my advice is either, don't try to convert let people make up their own minds, or if you really want to educate them about religion, then do it about all the major religions equally, to give them the choice(not you)