• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I be a Christian?

Katzpur said:
SInce I'm constantly told that, because I am a Latter-day Saint, I'm not a "real" Christian, I'm usually pretty hesitant to say that a person must adhere to a specific set of doctrines in order to call himself a Christian. But, I've got to go along with you on this point. I don't know how anyone who believes that Jesus Christ was "just a good man" or "just an inspired teacher" or "just an enlightened prophet" can see himself as a Christian. After all, there are Buddhists who believe Jesus was a good man. I'm sure many Baha'is' consider Him to be an inspired teacher. And I'm relatively certain that it is an official teaching of Islam that He was a prophet. Does that make any of these people Christians? Of course not. And none of them want to be known as Christians. But as C.S. Lewis pointed out (I wish I had the exact quote, but unfortunately, I don't), it's impossible to say that Jesus was "just a good man," or "just an inspired teacher" or "just an enlighted prophet." He didn't claim to be "just" any of those things. He claimed to be the Son of God. And if He wasn't the Son of God, He wasn't a good man, an inspired teacher or an enlightened prophet either. He was the ultimate liar the world has ever known. So I'd definitely agree: His divinity is something you have to accept in order to be a Christian.

Yep, Katzpur! That was my point. I just didn't have time to type it all out earlier. Thanks for handling it for me!!!!!!! :rainbow1:

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Faint said:
If you don't believe in Jesus' divinity you cannot be a Christian, at least not in any functional sense of the word.
I disagree. Of course, my definition is a bit more lax than most, I would think. I tend to define a Christian as someone whose central focus is on Jesus of Nazareth, either as their central prophet, deity, or influence, or all of the above.

Victor said:
As for the OP, I don't know of any Christian denomination that you could possibly fall into.
As gracie previously mentioned, I do believe that Real Sorceror could find a home with the Religious Society of Friends, or in Unitarian Christianity.

Don't become a Christian out of peer pressure though,
Real Sorceror. Take the time to reflect on it, and really just listen to what your heart says. :)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Real Sorceror said:
Doubt? The fact that these particular people are very persistant? The fact that I currently do not know how to describe myself spiritually?
The only comment I really have to offer is similar to Tigress's ~ do you really want to label yourself just because of peer pressure? Confessing that you are sinful and that salvation is through Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior (the only thing Jesus requires of you for salvation) should be an act of true faith, not just something you say to satisfy the wants of people.... that would be false to both yourself and to God, don't you think?

On the other hand, of all you want is the label to satisfy those pressuring you, regardless of what you actually believe.... what's stopping you?

Trey of Diamonds

Katzpur said:
SInce I'm constantly told that, because I am a Latter-day Saint, I'm not a "real" Christian, I'm usually pretty hesitant to say that a person must adhere to a specific set of doctrines in order to call himself a Christian. But, I've got to go along with you on this point. I don't know how anyone who believes that Jesus Christ was "just a good man" or "just an inspired teacher" or "just an enlightened prophet" can see himself as a Christian. After all, there are Buddhists who believe Jesus was a good man. I'm sure many Baha'is' consider Him to be an inspired teacher. And I'm relatively certain that it is an official teaching of Islam that He was a prophet. Does that make any of these people Christians? Of course not. And none of them want to be known as Christians. But as C.S. Lewis pointed out (I wish I had the exact quote, but unfortunately, I don't), it's impossible to say that Jesus was "just a good man," or "just an inspired teacher" or "just an enlighted prophet." He didn't claim to be "just" any of those things. He claimed to be the Son of God. And if He wasn't the Son of God, He wasn't a good man, an inspired teacher or an enlightened prophet either. He was the ultimate liar the world has ever known. So I'd definitely agree: His divinity is something you have to accept in order to be a Christian.

Actually, the question of Christ's divinity is more complex than that. Unitarian Christians believe that Christ was the Son of God but not God himself. You see, they separate the two and see divinity as being God rather than a divine being separate from God. So the question as to whether you are a Trinitarian or Anti-Trinitarian Christian is whether you believe Jesus was the Son of God or God himself in the guise of man.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Snowbear said:
The only comment I really have to offer is similar to Tigress's ~ do you really want to label yourself just because of peer pressure? Confessing that you are sinful and that salvation is through Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior (the only thing Jesus requires of you for salvation) should be an act of true faith, not just something you say to satisfy the wants of people.... that would be false to both yourself and to God, don't you think?
Yes, after talking with some other friends I've decided "converting" would be very superficial and false. I'm just gonna have to explain to these guys that its not the path for me. They might not understand, but I've decided their opinion of me is not as important as my personal beliefs.
On the other hand, of all you want is the label to satisfy those pressuring you, regardless of what you actually believe.... what's stopping you?
I'd kinda be lying if I just told them I'm Christian. Plus, they'd probably ask a lot of probing questions that I would answer in the negative.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Real Sorceror said:
Indeed. Some of the "Christians" I know are some of the most wrong-headed and mentally depraved people I've ever met. Today, one of them actually said that, if given the chance, he'd execute me for supporting gay rights. Crazy, eh?
Very crazy!
The saddest thing is that he is going to be lumped in with all the other Christians.
Real Sorceror said:
On the flipside, Christian also constitute some of the nicest and most caring people I've ever met.
The really scary thing is, they are both reading from the same book.:shrug:
It really confuses me to no end.
Interpretational anarchy isn't it?
I also had a huge problem with this.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Tigress said:
Don't become a Christian out of peer pressure though, Real Sorceror. Take the time to reflect on it, and really just listen to what your heart says. :)

I agree with this assesment except for the "listen to your heart". I did that most of my years as a Protestant and I went with whomever fulfilled me the most. "Church hopping" as they say.

Just look at everything objectively and ponder over it. Truth doesn't always come with fuzzy feelings. :)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Real Sorceror said:
So a lot of people have been pressuring me to become a Christian. I think I pass for one in certian denominations, but definitly not in their's. They want me to accept a lot of things that I simply don't agree with. So, in any denomination, do I pass as Christan if I do not believe in any of the following:
~The Trinity and possibly the divinity of Christ
~The infallible/literal nature of the Bible
~The entire OT
~Origonal sin
~Eternal Hell
~One path to God
I realize thats asking a lot, but those are the issues I won't budge on.
Sure, all those things are rejected in Gnostic Christianity - although we'd change the word Christ to Jesus.

Trey of Diamonds

Real Sorceror said:
So a lot of people have been pressuring me to become a Christian. I think I pass for one in certian denominations, but definitly not in their's. They want me to accept a lot of things that I simply don't agree with. So, in any denomination, do I pass as Christan if I do not believe in any of the following:
~The entire OT
~Origonal sin
~Eternal Hell
~One path to God

No matter what denomination you choose, some will consider you a Christian and others will not. All this is important is that you are satisfied with the path you have chosen. Too many people are focused on the path to spirituality rather than the spirituality itself.

Considering your name, you might be interested in the Pagan side of the Unitarian/Universalist Church.

http://www.cuups.org/

One of the reasons I am a Unitarian is that no one pressures me to be their kind of Christian, at least no one in the Church does. We celebrate our differences as much as our similarities.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Trey of Diamonds said:
Actually, the question of Christ's divinity is more complex than that. Unitarian Christians believe that Christ was the Son of God but not God himself. You see, they separate the two and see divinity as being God rather than a divine being separate from God. So the question as to whether you are a Trinitarian or Anti-Trinitarian Christian is whether you believe Jesus was the Son of God or God himself in the guise of man.
Well, that's not too awfully different from LDS doctrine. We reject the doctrine of the Trinity. We believe that Jesus Christ was the literal Son of God. He is as physically distinct from His Father as you are from your father. God the Father did not take upon Himself human form and come to earth. He sent His Son, while He remained in heaven -- the supreme or almighty God. I think the only real point on which you and I may disagree is that I don't see how Jesus Christ could be said to be "divine" unless He was also "God." While Trinitarians say that He and His Father are simply different manifestations of a single divine substance, we Latter-day Saints say that they share the title and godly qualities of "God." We believe their unity is in will and purpose; this unity is absolute, perfect and complete.

Trey of Diamonds said:

Hi Trey,
I'm glad to see your post here because I've been wanting to know more about Unitarian Christianity! It's interesting to me.
Regarding the Trinity, how do Unitarians view the Holy Spirit?
Thanks,
Allison

Real Sorceror said:
You know, I seem to agree a lot with Christians who aren't considered Christian by the "main stream" group.

Oh, and thanks for everyone's insight. You've been very helpful. The Christians on this board are way nicer than on my other board. ;)

Hello,
I wanted to respond to this last night, but didn't get a chance. It bothers me when I hear of any Christian NOT being helpful or kind to someone. That is not what being a Christian is all about. And personally, I am very sorry that you have had negative experiences. Glad it's been better for you here!
Take care. :rainbow1:

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
tigress said:
I tend to define a Christian as someone whose central focus is on Jesus of Nazareth, either as their central prophet, deity, or influence, or all of the above...
AllisonW70 said:
Hello,
I wanted to respond to this last night, but didn't get a chance. It bothers me when I hear of any Christian NOT being helpful or kind to someone. That is not what being a Christian is all about. And personally, I am very sorry that you have had negative experiences. Glad it's been better for you here!
Take care. :rainbow1:
I like both these posts, and acting as Jesus taught us is more important than which denomination of Christianity you call yourself.
Real Sorceror said:
~The entire OT
~Origonal sin
~Eternal Hell
~One path to God
Regarding the OP, I made boldface what I think is important to call yourself a Christian. IMHO, the degree to which you belief in the other items is not relevant. :)

Trey of Diamonds

AllisonW70 said:
Hi Trey,
I'm glad to see your post here because I've been wanting to know more about Unitarian Christianity! It's interesting to me.
Regarding the Trinity, how do Unitarians view the Holy Spirit?
Thanks,
Allison
Hi Allison,

Unitarians are Anti-Trinitarian, meaning we believe that the Trinity is made up of three separate entities. Father, Son and the Holy Ghost are each all unique individuals rather than three facets of the same thing. Trinitarians believe that the trinity is God and each of the three identities are just another face of the same being.

For more in depth info on Unitarians see our thread here.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Take care,

Trey

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Trey of Diamonds said:
Hi Allison,

Unitarians are Anti-Trinitarian, meaning we believe that the Trinity is made up of three separate entities. Father, Son and the Holy Ghost are each all unique individuals rather than three facets of the same thing. Trinitarians believe that the trinity is God and each of the three identities are just another face of the same being.

For more in depth info on Unitarians see our thread here.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Take care,

Trey

Actually, that's a little misinformed. Trinitarians believe that God is revealed in three distinct persons. Ref. the Athanasian Creed.