• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can good and evil exist exclusively?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you define good as "the affirmation of life" and evil as "the denial of life", then they can exist exclusively.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
If you define good as "the affirmation of life" and evil as "the denial of life", then they can exist exclusively.

If life does not exist, then neither proposition is meaningful. And if Life exists, then suddenly both propositions can be satisfied by some form of behavior. Still not seeing how they can exist without the other.

MTF

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If life does not exist, then neither proposition is meaningful. And if Life exists, then suddenly both propositions can be satisfied by some form of behavior. Still not seeing how they can exist without the other.

MTF

I don't think you've read my statement with comprehension.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

I probably agree with you. Of course in our current world both do exist, and always will.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
A separation took place between darkness and light...'let there be light'.
But there is no cause to say the darkness was evil.
Who, other than yourself, is saying that darkness is evil?

If you do...ALL things arise out of evil...God is evil....so are you.
and?

Given the subjectivity of the words good and evil...

Are cat evil?
Most people would so no.
I bet mice have a different opinion.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I see a lot of side stepping.

Back to the beginning.....the void.

There are no opposites.

'Let there be light'....'it is good'.

A creation is a reflection of it's Creator.

Where does the concept of evil play here?
The void was evil?
All that is came forth... out of evil?

I say...
Good is able to stand exclusive.

Last edited:

9Westy9

Premium Member
I see a lot of side stepping.

really? 'cause I don't :shrug:

There are no opposites.

'Let there be light'....'it is good'.

Where does the concept of evil play here?
The void was evil?
All that is came forth out evil?

Good is able to stand exclusive.

There are no opposites.

'Let there be darkness'....'it is evil'.

Where does the concept of good play here?
The void was good?
All that is came forth out good?

Evil is able to stand exclusive.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I don't think you've read my statement with comprehension.

This is truly despicable forum behavior right here; while perhaps not technically against the rules it is so far from constructive as to be almost entirely within the realm of ad hominem. I don't suppose you are picking up Kilgore Trout's bad habits?

Pretending like someone should be able to pick up all the nuances of your single sentence post is almost certainly a sign that you should have taken the time to post something more than one line. And if you take issue with how someone is interpreting your post (which, incidentally, seems to me like I am using the basic definitions of the words being used), then perhaps you should enlighten them how they are wrong, rather than merely pointing out that "I just don't get you."

Case in point:

Affirmation of Life ~ Behavior which tends to support, increase, or bolster life.
Denial of Life ~ Behavior which tends to diminish, destroy, or inhibit life.

Exclusive Existence ~ Existences which are not dependent upon the other and can be substantiated without requiring the existence of the other.

The current definitions pretty clearly suggest that they are defined via the positive and negative reinforcement of life. And seeing as those concepts are intrinsically linked they would tend to be non-exclusive in nature. And if the apparent definitions presented above (which utilize the most common definitions of the words used) are somehow wrong, then exactly how are they wrong?

MTF

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is truly despicable forum behavior right here; while perhaps not technically against the rules it is so far from constructive as to be almost entirely within the realm of ad hominem. I don't suppose you are picking up Kilgore Trout's bad habits?

Pretending like someone should be able to pick up all the nuances of your single sentence post is almost certainly a sign that you should have taken the time to post something more than one line. And if you take issue with how someone is interpreting your post (which, incidentally, seems to me like I am using the basic definitions of the words being used), then perhaps you should enlighten them how they are wrong, rather than merely pointing out that "I just don't get you."

Case in point:

Affirmation of Life ~ Behavior which tends to support, increase, or bolster life.
Denial of Life ~ Behavior which tends to diminish, destroy, or inhibit life.

Exclusive Existence ~ Existences which are not dependent upon the other and can be substantiated without requiring the existence of the other.

The current definitions pretty clearly suggest that they are defined via the positive and negative reinforcement of life. And seeing as those concepts are intrinsically linked they would tend to be non-exclusive in nature. And if the apparent definitions presented above (which utilize the most common definitions of the words used) are somehow wrong, then exactly how are they wrong?

MTF

I think you're over-reacting. Chill, dude.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
really? 'cause I don't :shrug:

There are no opposites.

'Let there be darkness'....'it is evil'.

Where does the concept of good play here?
The void was good?
All that is came forth out good?

Evil is able to stand exclusive.

So with this....and post #46.....we agree...
Good and evil....can stand exclusively.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It makes no sense to me that good or evil can exist separately.

What is evil without good as a reference point to compare it to?

There is no such thing as "good" unless there is something less than good or opposite good to define it.

Dualisms are two sides of one coin, not opposing separate forces.

Neither exist independently, because nothing exists independently.

My two-cents.

9Westy9

Premium Member
It makes no sense to me that good or evil can exist separately.

What is evil without good as a reference point to compare it to?

There is no such thing as "good" unless there is something less than good or opposite good to define it.

Dualisms are two sides of one coin, not opposing separate forces.

Neither exist independently, because nothing exists independently.

My two-cents.

Thanks for the input.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
So with this....and post #46.....we agree...
Good and evil....can stand exclusively.

Darkness is not necessarily evil. You can say that the darkness was evil, but that doesn't actually make it evil. It might have been oppressive to life if life had existed, but until life actually exists there is no reason to suppose that darkness is any more neutral than the void (that precedes it?).

Also once you have evil how does it not follow that good is immediately defined by that which is not evil and not amoral (that to which morality does not apply)?

MTF

Otherright

Otherright
Lot's of 'things' are dualistic. Light and darkness, good and evil, Hot and cold etc.

So can one exist without the other? i.e. light without darkness and darkness without light

Do either exist? i.e. Does light/ darkness exist?

Are these answers the same for all 'dualism's'? i.e same for light/ darkness and good/evil.

Dualistically, no, one can not exist without the other. That's part of what dualism is all about.