• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God have a Son?

allright

Islam taught me: God is capable of anything and everything => God is capable of having a son
However Islam teaches me that God will never wish for a "son". And thats logical due to God having the greatest wisdom. It wouldn't be wise to create a son.[/quote]

How can a man have the arrogance to tell God what is wise for him to do

Since you say God has the highest wisdom, how do you know whether its wise for him to have a son or not That would be for him to decide

Straw Dog

If you're religious person, I have a question for you. Can God have a Son?

I am a religious person, and I think everyone here is debating which metaphorical language they prefer for expressing that which transcends all human understanding. All I really see here is people claiming "my metaphors are better than yours." IMO.

AhmadSyahir

Well that's just an arbitrary requirement. How would you be able to verify scriptural writings by Zeus, exactly? Allah isn't going to be giving any writings on Zeus, so, this is ridiculous, isn't it? Your God has no say over the writings of other Gods. What happened to logical thinking?

If the scripture talking nonsense, how can we believe in it. No, Allah always mention about other god that people worship in Al-Quran.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Anyone who ever recited the 'Lord's Prayer' is hooked.

'Our Father'.....

Whose Father?...your Father?...my Father?...brothers are we?

That prayer is a pledge.

The angels heard you when you said it.
So too the Devil.
Not if you say it in Aramaic.

AhmadSyahir

The only thing logic can point out is math, gravity, etc.

Monotheism vs polytheism is not something which can be proven or considered logical. What you deem as logical for monotheism may appear illogical to a polytheist, and vice-versa. Still, atheists will see the monotheism vs polytheism logic-considered things to both be illogical.

Only for people of that religion. If I start showing stuff from the Vedas, or the Bhagavad Gītā, or Gurū Granth Sāhib, or Upaniṣads, or the Mahāyāna Mahāparinirvāṇa Sūtra, they will not convince you or be proofs to you.

Which I answered above, lol.

I don't think God can have a "literal" son. I don't think that many Christians believe, contrary to non-believers claim, that Jesus is the literal offspring of God as in genetically God's. At least, this has not been my experience.

I have a simple question for you? Do you believe in God?
If you're religious person, then you will say ''yes I do''.
If they claim Jesus is the Son of God because God created him, that mean we're all(human,animal,earth,space,angel, and etc) is Son of the God.
There's no 'literal' son and so. Jesus and everybody is a creation of God but that doesn't make either you,me or everyone else is the son of God.

Adam is the first man created according to Abrahamic religion. Is he the son of God? no, he is not.

Logical thinking is limited. It's based on our knowledge. But if you use Rational thinking, it's not limited. My mistake to put Logic instead of Rational.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
No really....Whatever comes out your mouth....

When that prayer is recited, heaven and hell, will hold you to it.
You say it....did you mean it?

And it's everyone's prayer.
Anyone willing to say it.
When I was taught a nonsense prayer by rote as a grade school child and forced to repeat it, no, it is not binding in the slightest.
Screw them if they try to hold me, I have other Gods to protect my soul. :) I am not subject to an illegal forced statement. If that's the only way for your deity to entrap children, well, we know him by his fruits.

My heart and soul are free, and my own, to give my love and loyalty to those whom deserve it, and no other, by force nor threat, will hold me.

If the scripture talking nonsense, how can we believe in it. No, Allah always mention about other god that people worship in Al-Quran.
Well, the lit I've found of Zeus' scripture are essentially the precursor for modern literature.. including the Bible, btw, so, I guess his words are valid. :)

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I have a simple question for you? Do you believe in God?
If you're religious person, then you will say ''yes I do''.
I believe in the Divine. However, I do not believe in the conception of God in Abrahamic religions, be they Islam, Christianity, Judaism, or Bahá'í - especially from a reading of the scripture. In that way, I mean I do not believe in a deity who opposes icon-worship, sends people to Hell, has chosen people, or sends prophets.

Adam is the first man created according to Abrahamic religion. Is he the son of God? no, he is not.
Please see Luke 3:21-38. Focus on verse 38. In here, Adam is called 'the son of God'. Confusing, isn't it?

Logical thinking is limited. It's based on our knowledge. But if you use Rational thinking, it's not limited. My mistake to put Logic instead of Rational.
But rationality is still subjective.

For a polytheist, it's rational that there are many gods, and only one God makes little sense. For a monotheist, many gods is an irrational concept, and monotheism is rational.

Only logic is objective - and logic is only for mathematics, scientific findings, gravity, and so on - never religion.

Villager

I believe in the Divine.
It does not matter what anyone believes. If there is an omnipotent deity, can a deity have a child? If a deity can create simple creatures of the abyss that have children by the billion, why can't the deity have just one little sprog himself? Good heavens! :eek:

But the bigger mystery is, why is there a thread about deity having children when nobody has even suggested it?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It does not matter what anyone believes.
I was asked. :p

If there is an omnipotent deity, can a deity have a child? If a deity can create simple creatures of the abyss that have children by the billion, why can't the deity have just one little sprog himself? Good heavens! :eek:
To me, it boils down to, how can an incorporeal, genderless entity have a literal child?
I know, it boils down to "omnipotence" and such, but I don't believe in actual omnipotence or omniscience - so I don't believe God can stop being God, or flout the laws of physics, or make 1+1=3, or know the future.

But the bigger mystery is, why is there a thread about deity having children when nobody has even suggested it?
It's common. It's something that seems to gripe the occasional member and they want to discuss it, debate it, or occasionally, proselytise against it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
When I was taught a nonsense prayer by rote as a grade school child and forced to repeat it, no, it is not binding in the slightest.
Screw them if they try to hold me, I have other Gods to protect my soul. :) I am not subject to an illegal forced statement. If that's the only way for your deity to entrap children, well, we know him by his fruits.

My heart and soul are free, and my own, to give my love and loyalty to those whom deserve it, and no other, by force nor threat, will hold me.

Well, the lit I've found of Zeus' scripture are essentially the basis for modern literature.. including the Bible, btw, so, I guess his words are valid. :)

Call upon any name you care to...there is only one God.....One Almighty.

The prayer I mentioned is common....seems most people know it.
As we stand before the angels ...later on....They will ask about it.

They might ask if you agree...or object.

But you cannot plead ignorance....you heard such things.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Call upon any name you care to...there is only one God.....One Almighty.
Say that as many times as you care to; it isn't true.
The prayer I mentioned is common....seems most people know it.
As we stand before the angels ...later on....They will ask about it.
Most people know it, means nothing. Most people in America know the pledge of allegiance, also. As well as the words to 'Purple People Eater'.

They might ask if you agree...or object.
They won't ask me anything, as I will not appear before them, since I am not subject to their system at all.

But you cannot plead ignorance....you heard such things.
As I said: I will not need to plead anything.
Your threats are empty.