• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can dead people talk to you?

robtex

Veteran Member
I learned about James Edwards after reading, Micheal Shermer's book( http://www.skeptic.com/), "How we believe". Shermer followed another fellow James Praagh ( http://skepdic.com/vanpraagh.html) around for one year (?) not sure on length, and made some observations. He realized that James worked off of audience feedback and questions to aquire his info. For instance he would throw out some hypothicals and wait for the audience response and use that as a guide as to where he was going. Meaning he wasn't reading spirts..he was reading his audience. He further said that Praaghs hit to miss ratio was ridiculously low being well under 20 % (can't remember exact number) but that since the audiance was prone to believe that they ignored his misses but acknowledged his hits. (http://www.holysmoke.org/praagh2.htm) He also talked about Praagh's progression meathods in question --which he compared to flow charts where he went from general to specfic after getting a postive hit.

I thought about what Shermer said, and one day two years ago sat next to my bro's gf at the time who was memorized by Edwards (so much so that she would cry during the show), and watched it with. I kept Shermers notes in my head and instead of watching him read the spirts I watched him read his audience. During this one show he was "speaking" to a loved one from beyond and looking at the small group that had come to communicate with the deceased. An overweight woman was sitting in front of the small group and carressing a large ring on her left hand. The camera panned it several times while Edwards was guessing and I knew he was gonna bring it up because obviously it had some signifigance to their conversation. Sure enough, after the first commerical break Edwards made mention of "some piece of Jewery" that held signifgance to the deceased and the woman, whom I swear seemed about to faint, exclaimed that the departed gave this ring to her and was holdig it up and crying. She wanted to believe so badly that didn't make him work for it at all but prompted him (maybe subconciously) by rubbing it and than confirmed it before he had a chance to make another guess.

The amazing Randi a retired magician I believe, has a very comprehensive database on medium fraud

http://www.randi.org/

As an incentive to test mediums he has offered a ONE MILLION dollar prize to any medium that can come to his faciltiy and under a control enviroment prove their ablities to him and the public ( http://www.randi.org/research/index.html) To date no medium has ever collected a dime. Self-proclaimed psychic Sylvia Browne is the most famous medium to bomb in their experiment. If you have the time you should read the input he has on cold reading (http://www.randi.org/library/coldreading/index.html) and read the nasty emails he gets from frauds that just want him to go away.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
We know that there probably are other universes. That's one part of my theory that is possible, even probable. Some scientists have also put forth the theory of a multiverse (which doesn't necessarily need to be, in order for my theory to be true). I have no proof except my own experiences, and they have the possibility to be faulty, so even I don't fully believe it. I never shut a door, unless I know there is another route out.

My experience is probably hard to believe, for anyone who hasn't experienced just such a thing. I'd PM you, if you wanted to hear it.

Really, I only believe in the possibility of contact with the "dead", not that it is the immuteable truth. ;)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
As an incentive to test mediums he has offered a ONE MILLION dollar prize to any medium that can come to his faciltiy and under a control enviroment prove their ablities to him and the public ( http://www.randi.org/research/index.html) To date no medium has ever collected a dime. Self-proclaimed psychic Sylvia Browne is the most famous medium to bomb in their experiment. If you have the time you should read the input he has on cold reading (http://www.randi.org/library/coldreading/index.html) and read the nasty emails he gets from frauds that just want him to go away.

The thing about Randi is that you have to sign a contract which gives him the ownership of any evidence (audio or visual) shown during the test. You also do not get the one million dollars unless Randi himself says it is a paranormal phenomena. Do you think he will give you one million dollars if only he has the video/audio proof you succeded? :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Druidus said:
The thing about Randi is that you have to sign a contract which gives him the ownership of any evidence (audio or visual) shown during the test. You also do not get the one million dollars unless Randi himself says it is a paranormal phenomena. Do you think he will give you one million dollars if only he has the video/audio proof you succeded? :p
Yes. Because Randi could turn around and sell the video/audio for many millions more than he paid you.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Yes. Because Randi could turn around and sell the video/audio for many millions more than he paid you.

Who will he sell this too? If he only has one 30 minute video of a man moving small objects like straws, pencils and toothpicks, he won't earn that much. He would probably be condemned as a fraud by most, the video accused of being a hoax, even by those involved in the detection of video editing. He might earn his million back, but just barely.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Take a look at cable TV some time. You'll see gobs of programing on the paranormal. That programing is aired because it's profitable to air it. No channel is putting on things that don't sell --- and sell well --- when they put on paranormal stuff. So, Randi could find a market. And yes, he would have his critics. But he would have his fans too.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I couldn't stand watching such a boring program. 30 minutes of one guy moving stuff with his mind? Or even worse, telepathy. It doesn't matter anyway. I have the proof I need. I have practiced telekinesis, and while I can't do things like you might see in comic books, I can move very small objects.

Druidus said:
Who will he sell this too? If he only has one 30 minute video of a man moving small objects like straws, pencils and toothpicks, he won't earn that much. He would probably be condemned as a fraud by most, the video accused of being a hoax, even by those involved in the detection of video editing. He might earn his million back, but just barely.
Please tell me you're just saying this to play Devil's advocate. I for one would be first in line to buy a video by James Randi, world renowned skeptic, proving a paranormal phenomenon. I'm a skeptic, but I would hesitate quite a bit before calling James Randi a fraud. Besides, if a paranormal phenomenon really did happen, and he really did have evidence, further independent testing would confirm his evidence, and then we would know he is no fraud. ;)

At any rate, we don't need James Randi to test whether or not paranormal claims hold any water. We can test them ourselves...that's the beauty of science.

Druidus-- Why don't you set up a camera to record yourself while you're moving small objects via telekinesis? I'd be very interested in seeing such a video.

robtex

Veteran Member
Druidus said:

About the contract...That is what he gets from their failed attempts. The whole point of his testing program is to prove that pshychic powers do not exist. It would not behove him to not present the results to the public

Second, While it is true that Randi himself has to say its a paranormal phenomena there is no way even if he were a smuck that he could keep a valid paranormal phenomena hidden from the public. One because others (including the audiance used) would have witnessed it and two because it would be on tape..the sessions are filmed (as you pointed out) makeing their hard evidence.....

The test is very fair and inpartial....he just makes sure the audiance knows not to give the medium cues like a normal audiance does. It is like playing poker. When you are sitting at the table and the other guys are holding 5 cards and you know yours but not theres you can make some inferences....pick up cues...which people drink there beer when the get a killer hand....which people scratch their head.....how many cards they pick up from the dealer .how they bet in realation to their personality......

I have done that and used ques to help me win at poker......I have used it to bluff, fold, sandbag and raise....regularly .......I look at them and make guesses sometimes poorly but because cues are redunadant and also common from person-to-person very successfully often. The only differnce between me and meduims is that I admit I am reading people and that contend they are reading the beyond.....

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
The audience is small, and all of them work for Randi. Randi owns the tape, it is not aired unless he says so. I don't care anyway. It doesn't matter to me what others think about it. I have proven it to myself, and that is all that I need.