• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Belief In God Be Rational?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Using a symbol as the basis for your worldview without stopping to consider what the symbol means and how you are using it is irrational.

Related to that, confusing a construct that one has fashioned in one's thoughts with an object or being outside of those thoughts is also irrational.

So believing that "God" "exists" to solve the causation paradox, i.e. that if all things have causes, there must be first cause or origin for all things, is fine, provided you don't confuse that little logical placeholder you are calling "God" with a thing or being that actually exists outside of language.

It's when I imagine anything else about this symbol such as making it have a personality or do particular things in the universe, that I have created confusion between the sign and the thing signified and thereby lost the distinction between subjective imagination and objective reality.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
FatMan said:
Let's face it - belief in religion is at it roots meant to be an answer to where we came from and where we are going.
I disagree with the literalist interpretation. I think religion is a metaphor of who we are.

GiveCharity

Willamena said:
I disagree with the literalist interpretation. I think religion is a metaphor of who we are.

Umm...Syaing that religion is a metaphor of who we are is agreeing with FatMan, who said that religion is an answer to where we came from and where we are going.