• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone answer this?

Clara Tea

Immortality. Sorry. Typo.
An awful lot of people think that it is immorality.

At bars, people think that the purpose of life is drinking (and procreation seems to somehow be associated). But they don't seem to want to further the species, they just want to enjoy life.

Watching a football game in the bar, they don't seem interested in procreating, they just like to watch the struggle to win, and the strategies employed to do so.

Life exists because of procreation, but perhaps not for the purpose of procreation.

Clara Tea

You are looking at how organisms work and then assigning a mission as the reason as to why they work in a particular way. But that reason is of your own making.

Animals breed because of their instincts. That's it. Period. It has nothing to do with 'wanting to pass down your genes'.

Men like boobs. But there is no particular reason for them to like them, except that large boobs might be better able to feed kids. I don't think that men, looking at Playboy magazines are thinking that the pictures will allow them to make more or better babies. Rather, I think that instincts are programmed into men (and all animals) that promote their willingness to have sex to perpetuate the species.

Similarly, some (but not all) women want to have babies. But babies notoriously are poop machines that require maintenance in the middle of the night. Surely, if there wasn't an instinct to nurture a baby, the little poop machine would be tossed out the nearest window. Thus, men and women (of almost all species) have instincts that program them for procreation. If not, the species would have died out long ago.

However, I don't think that the meaning of life is procreation. It is, rather, a programmed desire, but not the meaning of life.

People don't spend their entire existence procreating, otherwise, no one would be writing in this forum. Most people spend time enjoying life, and procreation is something that they do on the side.

Some people cannot procreate, but it doesn't mean that their lives are over. Some are too old to want to procreate, but they enjoy old age with chess games, watching TV, or maybe even getting intimate with a significant other. But procreation is not the central issue on their minds.

TheBrokenSoul

I am not sure i it in correct par of the forum.

Last night I had a dream about.

"If there is no God, no soul/spirit or anything outside our body." What is it that make us alive?
If we do only exist because of electric impulin the brain. What made us feel example emotion, anger, happiness, or how can life exist without any form of spirit?

I know this is a difficult question,
And in this OP I will try to not see it from a religious p.o.w, so in your answer do not think of OP starters background in sufism, just explain outside of any religious belief if you can.

What makes you alive is baring witness live of all things that you see when you're awake .

Clara Tea

I don't understand your issue. There must be some miscommunication error ongoing. I simply cannot fathom your objection.

It's like a stoplight that tells us to stop walking. It's purpose isn't to impede our progress, but it is to keep us safe and allow cars and people to share the road.

We have to understand the total (and real) purpose. In this case, procreation is a part of life, but it might not be the sole purpose.

Perhaps those who write in this forum are not in the act of procreating (or using this forum to procreate), but they enjoy sharing ideas. They might also enjoy eating a good dinner or watching a good TV program. All of that is part of life (including enjoyment). Procreation isn't the only thing in people's lives, it is only part of it.

For example, stopping is only part of a stoplight's function, there is also walking (if it wasn't for walking, we wouldn't get anywhere).

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Rather, I think that instincts are programmed into men (and all animals) that promote their willingness to have sex to perpetuate the species.

I agree with most of your post.
I am quoting the part we might have a disagreement though.

Perpetuating the species is a by-product of wanting to have sex. The instinct is to have sex, and not to perpetuate the species. It just so happens that animals that have sex end up having more offsprings, which leads to perpetuating the species.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
President Reagan wouldn't do anything without consulting his psychic (so, it wasn't really Reagan who ran the country, it was really his psychic).

That's quite disturbing.

If psychic ability is real, and not explainable (or so far not explained) by science, why is it so far fetched that God exists?

Just because people believe things to be real, doesn't mean that they are.
It has never been shown to be real.
Every single time it is put to a serious test, it fails miserably.

Could God store God's memories in the same medium that stores psychic information? Could God's brain be composed of the same kind of energy (or substance) that psychics use?

Or perhaps it's undetectable pixies.
Or there is nothing there. That seems more likely.

Please explain or refute ESP.

I don't need to explain or refute things that are asserted without evidence and which are nothing more or less then superstition.

There is nothing there to refute.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Then a castrated man has no mission? I don't think that castrated men want to die, but they want to live and continue to enjoy life as we all do.
The actual quote is something like " ... To survive and reproduce", so that covers castrated me, celibate priests, nuns, infertile women, etc

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Men like boobs. But there is no particular reason for them to like them, except that large boobs might be better able to feed kids

Sounds like a particular reason to me.

I don't think that men, looking at Playboy magazines are thinking that the pictures will allow them to make more or better babies

But their instincts do.
Man sees beautiful woman, and his biology responds accordingly.

All this is subconscious and ultimately driven by evolution. Evolution favors behaviors that will promote procreation. Sexual arousal leads to wanting to have sex which leads to babies.

When some player tries to hit on a woman at a bar to score a one-night stand - babies are the last thing that he consciously wants to result from it. He just wants to have fun / sex.
But the very behavior is, at bottom, nonetheless driven by evolution favoring behavior that leads to babies and thus survival and continuation of the species

Rather, I think that instincts are programmed into men (and all animals) that promote their willingness to have sex to perpetuate the species.

Indeed. By evolution.

Similarly, some (but not all) women want to have babies. But babies notoriously are poop machines that require maintenance in the middle of the night. Surely, if there wasn't an instinct to nurture a baby, the little poop machine would be tossed out the nearest window.

More then that even. Women will typically tolerate a lot more nastiness from their own off spring then from the off spring of others.

This example is anecdotal (and disgusting :D) off course, but I remember when our son was sick one day and he vomited all over the place. Including his mothers face and in her mouth. She didn't even flinch. I think she even swallowed some of it by accident. All she could think about was first taking care of the kid and then cleaning it up.

Then at another time, our son's cousin, who had the same age, vomited as well. Several meters away from my wife. It wasn't even as nasty as the vomit of our son, but my wife had to run to the bathroom and vomit herself, simply because off the sight / smell of it.

Such things also are the result of evolution pushing towards survival of the species and success in procreation and continuation.

However, I don't think that the meaning of life is procreation. It is, rather, a programmed desire, but not the meaning of life.

I agree.
I don't think there is such a thing as a "cosmic" meaning or purpose for life.
I see no reason to believe there is.

People don't spend their entire existence procreating, otherwise, no one would be writing in this forum. Most people spend time enjoying life, and procreation is something that they do on the side.

Disagree with this.
When you dig deep into the psychological side of things, almost all we do is geared towards finding / keeping a mate or to impress potential mates etc. Even when there is nobody around.

Whenever we try to have success in anything, be a winner, be a leader, gather wealth, etc... all of it is geared towards upping our chances to find a mate. Even if we are infertile. Even if we are gay.

Almost everything in our biology is geared towards it. Survive and reproduce. There is no escaping this.
And it's not just for our own off spring either. It's also for the benefit of the group, for the continuation of the species as a whole. That's basically what altruism is.

Some people cannot procreate, but it doesn't mean that their lives are over. Some are too old to want to procreate, but they enjoy old age with chess games, watching TV, or maybe even getting intimate with a significant other. But procreation is not the central issue on their minds.

True, it's not on their conscious minds. But the psychology of the behavior reveals otherwise.
A player looking for a one night stand doesn't want pregnancy as a result. He just wants to enjoy good sex.
But what drives his biological need for sex? Why is sex enjoyable? Why did evolution mold it like that?

Exactly.

Azrael Antilla

I agree with most of your post.
I am quoting the part we might have a disagreement though.

Perpetuating the species is a by-product of wanting to have sex. The instinct is to have sex, and not to perpetuate the species. It just so happens that animals that have sex end up having more offsprings, which leads to perpetuating the species.
Your genes control and express your instincts and behaviours. Including the sex drive.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
If humans are making all quotes. Questions and answers and beliefs. We are conscious. We are thinking. We talk always first to ourselves.

As we talk. And we hear.

Then we include other humans talking as we hear. We think. We talk to ourselves.

If you ask why. The answer is because it is occurring.

Now if you can remove yourself. By pretend. Are you removed yet still just thinking to give answers. Such as I have just removed myself yet now still am conversing about existing.

Without my own presence. My consciousness pretending it is beside itself.

So you then tell yourself those ideas are make believe.

So why do you want to make yourself believe when you are still present human is an exact human idea.

As if you said I am like electricity you know you are lying. As you know exactly what electricity is.

You also know the idea electricity in heavens as a heavens was lightning with God.

And the whole time you are still just the human.

So suddenly you should realise you do too much pretending and make believe and are possessed by it in fact.

As you are a human. You are living. You own everything about yourself just as a Human.

Then you should ask why am I constantly pretending not to be my own self?

As seemingly many humans express the behaviour also.

The answer is you are looking for something and want an answer yet the answer is not about your human self.

HonestJoe

If psychic ability is real, and not explainable (or so far not explained) by science, why is it so far fetched that God exists?
There are a literally infinite range of possible explanations for any unexplained phenomena so there is no automatic reason to give any one of them special consideration.

If you want to propose an actual explanation, you need to present a formal hypothesis which can be assessed and tested. If you want to just spout your personal faith-based beliefs, you're in the wrong thread.

Brian2

Veteran Member
All you lack is a proof outside of Bible.

I was speaking to another Bible believer,,,,,,,,,,,even if he believes his teachers when they teach things contrary to the Bible.
The Bible is a good source of information about such things as spirit, it is inspired by God after all.

Brian2

Veteran Member
We've got better things to do than search for supernatural controlling entities. Other matters like fusion power generation, are taking priority. Things that will change the world forever.

You will die, so a God is worth the effort to seek out.
It's something you can do in your spare time,,,,,,,,,,,,,while you are not saving the world.