• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can an afterlife realm exist without God?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Some seem to think so. In my view even this world could not exist without the gods.

Silver

Just maybe
Future scientists could design & construct an afterlife realm.......
Something like a very advanced virtual reality system.
The with time travel they could transport our consciousness to the afterlife realm just before we die.
But lets just say time travel is impossible.
Could there be an afterlife realm existing for us if there is no God?

Silver :cool:

Jains seem to think so! They say that there is absolutly no creator God. That we have been here eternally and are reincarnating and can acheive liberation threw asceticism.

I wouldn't say all Jains are atheists either.

Yaksha's and Yakshini's dont count. I said creator God too. They absolutly dont believe in a Creator God. But they do believe in Yakshas and Yakshinis, which are kind of like Gods and Goddesses but they are still in Samsara or the cycle of Reincarnation.

jonman122

without a god an "afterlife" is still possible, if they can find a way to transplant your brain in to something that would keep it working for millenia, or for eternity as it were, then you could call that an afterlife. they may even one day be able to make your brain able to control robotic limbs enough to make an entirely robotic body and perhaps even robotic optics to create cyborgs, which would be a type of afterlife i think.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Akshara how can even Brahman be bound by the dharma, and the gods not be in the process of karma, etc.?

Tathagata

Freethinker
It would be a real bummer if I made it to the afterlife of paridise, only to find out that a space daddy was going to be supervising me. I think an afterlife is ONLY possible without God because it wouldn't be paradise with an authority figure there.

Tathagata

Freethinker
Akshara how can even Brahman be bound by the dharma, and the gods not be in the process of karma, etc.?

Jains don't believe in Brahman or any kind of God. Devas or Yakshas are simply greater/advanced beings not gods, especially if their subject to death like everyone else.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If there does not exist a creator god, then the implication is that the universe has either always existed in some form or another, or has managed to create itself, and then has managed to organize itself into its current form.

If this is the case, then the universe could have conceivably organized itself into a state involving different physical laws which could possibly allow for the existence of an afterlife. Or in the current universe, it is possible, though I'd say unlikely, that there exists physics we do not understand that allow an afterlife to be possible in some form or another.

Plus, certain Dharmic religions propose the existence of an afterlife without a god being involved in the model.

-Lyn