• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California Gov Signs Bill To Exclude Trump From 2020 Election Ballot (SP 27)

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
California governor signs bill on presidential tax returns

The bill is unconstitutional under California state and the federal Constitution.
There are no tax return requirements under the federal Constitution and the supremacy clause makes the federal Constitution the supreme law of the land. This is a sorry political move.

Should be interesting to watch what happens to this illegal law.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not sure it is illegal as each state is more or less free to set their own requirements. Especially since it is concerning primaries and not the general election.
It's why third party candidates have such a difficult time getting on ballots in all 50 states. Each state can pretty much make it all up as they go along.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I dont think he'll win California anyway.
It seems likely he would have won the primary there by default by a lack of serious contenders. He'll probably still be on the ballot for the general election baring removal from office, pending heart attack, death, or whatnot.

Ellen Brown

The bill is unconstitutional under California state and the federal Constitution.
There are no tax return requirements under the federal Constitution and the supremacy clause makes the federal Constitution the supreme law of the land. This is a sorry political move.

Actually, I 'had' you on ignore but turned that off to see if you had something interesting to say? No, I guess.

I am completely surprised that Trumb can violate so many social mores, and slander so many people and even be deemed eligible to be President. I am a Veteran and he makes me so ashamed of America...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Folks could always write him in. Trump could actually use this to drive more Republicans to the ballot. Start a campaign showing that Democrats want to take your right to vote away.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It seems likely he would have won the primary there by default by a lack of serious contenders. He'll probably still be on the ballot for the general election baring removal from office, pending heart attack, death, or whatnot.
Bill Weld or someone else could conceivably be on the primary ballot so this could theoretically be significant if the law is upheld.

I could find no serious discussion if the law is constitutional or not. There is a useful general discussion here Elections clause—Morley & Tolson - Elections Clause

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Dang, woman....you've sussed it all...I've nothing to add but a frubal.
These Dems might think it a great idea, but what goes around comes around.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Actually, I 'had' you on ignore but turned that off to see if you had something interesting to say? No, I guess.
What that tells me about you is that you take great satisfaction in being verbally abusive.
How very tragic for those who encounter you off-line.

I am completely surprised that Trumb can violate so many social mores, and slander so many people and even be deemed eligible to be President. I am a Veteran and he makes me so ashamed of America...
You should be ashamed how you slander your commander in chief.
I'm saddened to read a self-identified veteran displays such disrespect for their service and their country by promoting anti-Trump propaganda anonymously on-line.
Looking forward to being put back on your ignore list. :)

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Folks could always write him in. Trump could actually use this to drive more Republicans to the ballot. Start a campaign showing that Democrats want to take your right to vote away.
I doubt California has a ballot that allows that option. Besides, it will be so much more satisfying when this illegal bill/law is soundly defeated in the courts.

And further when those who voted for it in the state legislature come up for re-election and , prayerfully, the people of California remember this move and vote them out.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And who is attempting to undermine our democracy?
Ironic, eh.
The only morality (for some) is that which serves tribal power.
Btw, if any state had passed a law requiring better proof of
citizenship than Obama had, I'd have opposed that too.
The parties need equal & unfettered ballot access.
And for 3rd parties, better than they have now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one should tolerate or put up with abuse, regardless who it comes from.
Besides, it will be so much more satisfying when this illegal bill/law is soundly defeated in the courts.
What about it is illegal? States are free to make their own rules and laws regarding primaries. No ones right to vote is being denied, and the parties themselves can change their rules on a whim.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What that tells me about you is that you take great satisfaction in being verbally abusive.
How very tragic for those who encounter you off-line.

I'm saddened to read a self-identified veteran displays such disrespect for their service and their country by promoting anti-Trump propaganda anonymously on-line.
Looking forward to being put back on your ignore list. :)
I am confused. Where did she "slander" our incompetent leader?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Interesting how "state's rights" don't matter to Republicans and Conservatives when it's something they don't like.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interesting how "state's rights" don't matter to Republicans and Conservatives when it's something they don't like.
States rights are limited by the Constitution, as pointed out in the OP.
Sure, sometimes the fed tries to take more power than is constitutionally
granted, & this is worth fighting too. We shouldn't take the extreme view
that states are either powerless or all powerful with respect to the fed gov.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Ironic, eh.
The only morality (for some) is that which serves tribal power.
Btw, if any state had passed a law requiring better proof of
citizenship than Obama had, I'd have opposed that too.
The parties need equal & unfettered ballot access.
And for 3rd parties, better than they have now.
The only people eligible to vote are citizens of America.
Then there's California.

Illegals in California with Driver's Licenses Eligible to Vote After April 1

For years there were news reports every so often wherein some loon group in California threatened to secede from America. Got lots of attention and then faded away till next time. Now, California appears to be doing all it can to demonstrate it did secede . While still enjoying commerce and federal benefits.