• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California’s largest fire burns homes as blazes scorch West

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Still not justifying this as a threat.

When government tells some people to jump, they
ask "How high?" on the way up. You might be that
kind of good dutiful unquestioning citizen.
But some of us aren't so obedient, & will use our own
judgment to decide what's best...& when government
is exceeding its authority. Abandoning one's home to
a fire is not something to take lightly.

If I were faced with such a threat to my home, & knew
that looters prowled the area, I'd be armed. And I too
wouldn't lay down my arms just because the government
showed up to demand that I leave. This would not be
a threat against them.
But I respect your right to do as they tell you without
question, regardless of the consequences.
I'm not the boss of you. If you want to die in a burning house, then that's your personal choice.
But your personal attachment to your property was not what people were originally having this debate about.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Now they're almost every year due to long term climate change.

The earliest big fire I can remember is 1970's Laguna Fire, I was a kid sitting on the roof of our (shake shingle) house watching the fire advance. At the time, it was one of the biggest fires in CA history.

I don't know how much is climate change (not a denier btw) and how much is the increase in population (it's doubled since 1970) with its concomitant explosion of power lines and human/nature interaction, and the fact that much of the state would be arid without irrigation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't know how much is climate change (not a denier btw) and how much is the increase in population (it's doubled since 1970) with its concomitant explosion of power lines and human/nature interaction, and the fact that much of the state would be arid without irrigation.

There are certainly factors like population, building in the wrong place etc that make the situation worse. But we have a drought so bad that farmers are pulling up almond trees, one power plant (so far) has shut down for lack of water to turn the turbines and so forth.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
There are certainly factors like population, building in the wrong place etc that make the situation worse. But we have a drought so bad that farmers are pulling up almond trees, one power plant (so far) has shut down for lack of water to turn the turbines and so forth.

Almond trees take soooo much water. And the vast majority of water usage in the state goes to agriculture.

How many fires have been started by power lines? Some of the biggest fires, and in fact, they suspect the Dixie fire now burning was started by a tree downed on a PG&E line.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Another phrase for that is, of course, CLIMATE CHANGE. And from what I've read it was correctly predicted based on the increasing CO2 and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Are ostrich heads going to come out of the ground now or will we see cooked ostrich?
I'm expecting cooked ostrich.

"Human activity is changing the climate in unprecedented and sometimes irreversible ways, a major UN scientific report has said.

The landmark study warns of increasingly extreme heatwaves, droughts and flooding, and a key temperature limit being broken in just over a decade."

- Climate change: IPCC report is 'code red for humanity'

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dixie Fire grows to over 540,000 acres, prompts new round of evacuations - UPI.com

Dixie-Fire-grows-to-over-540000-acres-prompts-new-round-of-evacuations.jpg

Dixie-Fire-grows-to-over-540000-acres-prompts-new-round-of-evacuations.jpg

Aug. 14 (UPI) -- The Dixie Fire has grown to over 540,000 acres since it started in mid-July, according to Cal Fire update Saturday.

The fire in Butte, Lassen, Plumas and Tehama counties led to a new evacuation order for immediate threat to life Friday in Tehama County for area of Mill Creek, south of Lassen Volcanic National Park. An evacuation warning for potential threat to life and/or property was also issued Friday in area north of the town of Mineral.

A plan to repopulate Plumas County was canceled earlier Friday.

The fire has consumed 540,581 acres with 31% contained, and has destroyed 1,120 structures, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

No fatalities were reported.

A total of 6,533 personnel have been deployed to combat the fire including 545 fire engines, 173 water tenders, 198 dozers, and 20 helicopters.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Pacific Gas and Utility equipment may have caused the Dixie Fire, which was sparked July 13, according to a report by the utility submitted to the California Public Utilities Commission nearly a week later.

The Dixie Fire grew to become the second largest wildfire in state history last Sunday, fire officials said, trailing only the August Complex Fire, which burned 1.03 million acres in 2020.