• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye Bye Tories

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
  1. Labour has won two by-elections in Wellingborough and Kingswood, overturning big Conservative majorities in the process
  2. In Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, the party took Peter Bone’s former seat, which he had held with a majority of more than 18,000
  3. And in Kingswood, South Gloucestershire, Labour overturned a 11,220 Conservative majority to win Chris Skidmore’s former seat
  4. BBC elections expert John Curtice says the swing from the Conservatives to Labour in Wellingborough was the second biggest in any post-war election
- John Curtice: By-election results leave Tories with mountain to climb

JIMMY12345

1. Labour has won two by-elections in Wellingborough and Kingswood, overturning big Conservative majorities in the process
  2. In Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, the party took Peter Bone’s former seat, which he had held with a majority of more than 18,000
  3. And in Kingswood, South Gloucestershire, Labour overturned a 11,220 Conservative majority to win Chris Skidmore’s former seat
  4. BBC elections expert John Curtice says the swing from the Conservatives to Labour in Wellingborough was the second biggest in any post-war election
- John Curtice: By-election results leave Tories with mountain to climb
You are right.Rishi Sunak was a good AND SENSIBLE Prime Minister.When ever was politics about picking the sensible.God bye Mr Sunak Good bye Conservatives.Only because the country will want a change.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hopefully a general election will follow the trend and put the conservatives where they belong.

I'm sure sunak and co will introduce plenty of sweeteners before the election in the hope of clawing some of the vote back.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Hopefully a general election will follow the trend and put the conservatives where they belong.

I'm sure sunak and co will introduce plenty of sweeteners before the election in the hope of clawing some of the vote back.
What I don't understand is how so many people still voted for the Tories, have they not been watching?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What I don't understand is how so many people still voted for the Tories, have they not been watching?

Some people just refuse to see facts, you see it often enough on RF and in American politics, i see no reason why some in the UK are not just as deliberately blind

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What are you talking about exactly?

His support for the IDF's actions in Gaza, which have since killed and injured tens of thousands of civilians, and offering military support. For example:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
However the story here is also about the Retard*, sorry Reform, party, which captured ~10% of the vote in both cases. So the Conservatives were caught in a squeeze between Labour and the Brexitty far right. The irony is that by raising the prominence of far right issues such as illegal immigration, the Tories have simply fertilised the the soil for Retard to grow in - hoist with their own Retard, in fact.
Yes, the tories have lost the gammon vote! I have confirmed this by donning a hazmat suit and gone wading through the comments at the Daily Heil online. Vote Reform is the cry!

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Am I the only one who finds "retard" to be a distasteful pejorative?
I think retard as a pejorative noun, a retard, is only a thing in N America. My use of it is intended to be the imperative form of the verb: “Retard!”, came the cry. They seem to want to stop progress and even turn the clock back, to some mythical Agatha Christie age. I toyed with Regress but my brothers have adopted Retard, so I’ve gone along with it.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Bye bye blue tories. Welcome, red tories.

His support for the IDF's actions in Gaza, which have since killed and injured tens of thousands of civilians, and offering military support.
The people who are going to replace his gov have the exact same position. Keir Starmer publicly stated that cutting off energy and water for civilians was fine.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Bye bye blue tories. Welcome, red tories.

The people who are going to replace his gov have the exact same position. Keir Starmer publicly stated that cutting off energy and water for civilians was fine.
Starmer is playing a crafty game to avoid giving the Conservatives what are called "attack lines". And don't forget he has spent a lot of time getting rid of Corbynite antisemitism in the party, so he is vulnerable to attacks on that score.

His position is shifting now. I feel sure he will join in calls for a ceasefire before long, now that Israel looks as if it is embarking - disgustingly - on ethnic cleansing. I don't see how either main UK party can stay silent much longer - indeed Cameron is making noises about it. So it could become a bipartisan position.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I read about that, and I found it utterly shameful. Even if Starmer supported ceasefire now, he would be far too late, given the loss of life, injury, and destruction that have occurred while he has been against a ceasefire. Nothing can bring back the lost lives or reverse the maiming—in this case, tens of thousands of cases of both—that the opposition to a ceasefire has enabled.

I believe that the Labour Party overall is at least more likely to have members who push back on stances like those than the Tories would, though, so I'm hoping the next PM has more humane policies than Sunak's.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I read about that, and I found it utterly shameful. Even if Starmer supported ceasefire now, he would be far too late, given the loss of life, injury, and destruction that have occurred while he has been against a ceasefire. Nothing can bring back the lost lives or reverse the maiming—in this case, tens of thousands of cases of both—that the opposition to a ceasefire has enabled.
The man is coward and a shameless liar. Anyone who trusts him will regret it.

I believe that the Labour Party overall is at least more likely to have members who push back on stances like those than the Tories would, though, so I'm hoping the next PM has more humane policies than Sunak's.
That sounds like it should be the case. The faction in control of the Labour party is almost exclusively blairite neoliberals, though. If the last Labour government is any guide they will accelerate harmful policies and make decisions that the tories would have wanted but are afraid to carry out.

And anyone who can meaningfully object will be isolated or removed from the party if the push back.