• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
You were trying to lump all atheists together.

Atheists - i.e. all the people who aren't theists - are no more of a religion or belief system than all the people who aren't Dharmics.
But you tried to lump all Christians together… are you saying you made an error?
I can't take a position until you ask a coherent question.

A common ‘attack’ as the best defense.
I don't see much "love your neighbour as yourself" in Christianity.

Maybe you should widen your circle of friends? I see them everywhere.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But you tried to lump all Christians together… are you saying you made an error?

:facepalm:

The sad part is that I think you're sincere. You really think that these two things are equivalent.

You're so deep in your chauvinism that you can't even recognize it.

Maybe you should widen your circle of friends? I see them everywhere.
Again: the sad part is that I think you're sincere.

As the saying goes, there's no hate like Christian love.

Kenny

Premium Member
:facepalm:

The sad part is that I think you're sincere. You really think that these two things are equivalent.

I am sincere and, yes, I made the equivalence because it was a good equivalent
You're so deep in your chauvinism that you can't even recognize it.

Again, a usual statement of offense offered as a weak defense.
Again: the sad part is that I think you're sincere.

Thank you.
As the saying goes, there's no hate like Christian love.

LOL… you did hit my funny bone on this statement. :) Thank you.

Kenny

Premium Member
The mind, not the soul.
Definition says different.
As soon as you found an example of someone exhibiting consciousness without exhibiting brain activity, you would be justified in that conclusion.

That would be when someone is brain dead and yet sees the doctors over the body until he is resuscitated. I hope you don’t ask for someone to test to see if what was reported is true unless you are a willing subject. :)

Definition says different.

That would be when someone is brain dead and yet sees the doctors over the body until he is resuscitated. I hope you don’t ask for someone to test to see if what was reported is true unless you are a willing subject. :)
I’m wondering why someone would say they are soulless? Not a good thing

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t agree

soul

Updated on 11/15/2023
n. the nonphysical aspect of a human being, considered responsible for the functions of mind and individual personality and often thought to live on after the death of the physical body.

Note: non-physical; responsible for functions of mind
Yes, that is the definition. But being able to define something doesn't mean it actually exists.

We can find definitions of leprechauns, unicorns, and Bigfoot, but that doesn't mean they actually exist.
I think your position is based on what you believe - “ those who adhere to materialism, positivism, or reductionism reject it absolutely. "
No, my position is that there is no evidence for a non-material. if evidence could be given, I would consider it.
Please note definition
The definition doesn't prove existence.
change of subject.

negatory

please refer to definition

Depends on who is doing the study

At this point, it is disagreeing, as far as I can tell

Yes, and we can define what it means to be a leprechaun. That doesn't mean that little green men with pots of gold near rainbows actually exist.

Please give *evidence* that a non-material soul actually exists.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Ever seen someone's personality change because of a brain injury?
As a matter of fact, I have.
Nasty emotional stuffs it is.

Of course, I am speaking from the families side, not the side of the one with the injury.
I can only imagine (if that is even possible) how bad it is for the one with the injury.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As a matter of fact, I have.
Nasty emotional stuffs it is.

Of course, I am speaking from the families side, not the side of the one with the injury.
I can only imagine (if that is even possible) how bad it is for the one with the injury.

Certainly. I've seen it, too.

I've never seen someone who claims that an incorporeal soul is the seat of the mind - or even the conscience - ever really reconcile what can happen in the case of a brain injury with their claim.

For those of us who believe that the mind is just "what the brain does," it makes perfect sense that damage to the brain would alter the mind.

For those who claim that the mind - or aspects of it like the conscience - are non-material, the impacts of a brain injury are hard to reconcile. I've seen some use the analogy that injuring someone's brain is analogous to damaging the antenna on a television, but this analogy doesn't work. A damaged antenna gets you static, not a completely different program.

They usually end up arguing that the post-injury person isn't the "real" person or "real soul," despite the fact that the person has thoughts, feelings, a personality, a conscience, etc., thereby conceding that these things can exist without being rooted in a soul.

I love how the Bible explains things and love the Word of God, I found this to be true:

”For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.“
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4‬:‭12‬-‭13‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't believe @Kenny is bearing false witness. It seems to me that he is stating exactly what he believes to be true.

He said that the definition of psychology refers to the soul. If we were to give him the benefit of the doubt that he sincerely believes that psychology involves the soul, he's still misrepresenting what the definition says.

Kenny

Premium Member
Yes, that is the definition. But being able to define something doesn't mean it actually exists.

We can find definitions of leprechauns, unicorns, and Bigfoot, but that doesn't mean they actually exist.

No, my position is that there is no evidence for a non-material. if evidence could be given, I would consider it.

The definition doesn't prove existence.

Yes, and we can define what it means to be a leprechaun. That doesn't mean that little green men with pots of gold near rainbows actually exist.

Please give *evidence* that a non-material soul actually exists.
All I can deduct here is that the whole of the field of Psychology which includes psychiatrists and other areas that use it, is the same as studying leprechauns, unicorns and bigfoots.

So, I guess we can close the subject.