• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually it was an honest question, the man enjoyed frequenting bars because that was his reputation around town, and no I don't think it was a rude question and I know he was not kidding in return. He claimed to be "saved." We all have opinions.
I thought fornicating was having sex out of wedlock. It didn't realize it included having a beer with your mates.

He may have been saved. How would any of us know? We could say by his apples, oranges and figs, but we couldn't know that was correct.

Like you said, people have their opinions.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I thought fornicating was having sex out of wedlock. It didn't realize it included having a beer with your mates.

He may have been saved. How would any of us know? We could say by his apples, oranges and figs, but we couldn't know that was correct.

Like you said, people have their opinions.
Sorry, but that was in another post where I said that I remember speaking to someone who claimed to be saved but he was a fornicator and I asked him if he thought he'd be doing that in heaven and he said yes. So I left the conversation anyway.

As a Christian I believe these Scriptures and the results of being filled with the Spirit and a command:

”Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God.“
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭5‬:‭17‬-‭21‬ ‭NKJV‬

YoursTrue

As a Christian I believe these Scriptures and the results of being filled with the Spirit and a command:

”Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God.“
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭5‬:‭17‬-‭21‬ ‭NKJV‬
Interesting, thanks for that scripture. "Submitting to one another in the fear of God."

YoursTrue

Mainly, I take the judgement of those scholars that have studied the issue. We know, for example, that a couple of the letters were NOT written by Paul.

1. They generally show a very early stage of the spread of Christianity.
2. They generally show a similar writing style (except for those that are unlikely to be from Paul), so were likely from the same person.
3. The earliest texts were first century.
There are some things none of us can really know because we were not there. Since I believe in the Bible and the resurrection, I am assured that I will find out more when those who heard and saw will be resurrected and they can relate it in their own words. But that's me and I understand not everyone responds to the message of the Bible in the same way. Similarly, the Bible itself shows different reactions to the words of Paul and certainly, Jesus.

YoursTrue

Interesting, thanks for that scripture. "Submitting to one another in the fear of God."
Yes, when we are filled with the Spirit and walking in the fear of the Lord we will be looking out for each other and not just ourselves. It’s a beautiful thing when the Church lives like this in fellowship.

Christianity's rise to what it is today involved a lot of blood and a lot of death.
Yeah for sure! The blood of Jesus speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.
”and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.“
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭24‬ ‭ESV‬‬

And we die daily and are crucified with Christ.
”For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.“
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭2‬:‭19‬-‭21‬ ‭ESV‬‬

You probably meant something else but this is Christianity.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, when we are filled with the Spirit and walking in the fear of the Lord we will be looking out for each other and not just ourselves. It’s a beautiful thing when the Church lives like this in fellowship.

It always amazes me that Christians like to emphasize *fear* of their deity.

If you 'fear' someone who claims to love you, that is a sign of an abusive relationship.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah for sure! The blood of Jesus speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.
”and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.“
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭24‬ ‭ESV‬‬

And we die daily and are crucified with Christ.
”For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.“
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭2‬:‭19‬-‭21‬ ‭ESV‬‬

You probably meant something else but this is Christianity.

And you wonder why people might reject this?

It always amazes me that Christians like to emphasize *fear* of their deity.

If you 'fear' someone who claims to love you, that is a sign of an abusive relationship.
Well, again you don’t understand what the “fear of the Lord”is and what that means.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Amazing to me that all that was said in context concerning the Scripture I shared and you pervert the whole thing and attach a meaning that isn’t there, pick out one thing and twist it.

As for the previous discussion on truth and parables, the parable of the sower has been lived out right here in this thread. I can clearly see the different soil the Word has been sown in by the different comments.

Not sure, I’m glad I didn’t:

”But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.“
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9‬:‭11‬-‭14‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, again you don’t understand what the “fear of the Lord”is and what that means.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
OK, how does that change the meaning?
Amazing to me that all that was said in context concerning the Scripture I shared and you pervert the whole thing and attach a meaning that isn’t there, pick out one thing and twist it.
How is that twisting the meaning?

Why emphasize *fear*?
As for the previous discussion on truth and parables, the parable of the sower has been lived out right here in this thread. I can clearly see the different soil the Word has been sown in by the different comments.
OK, read into it whatever you want.