• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Building vs Purchasing

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
Hmmm, interesting. I'm going to have to look into that some more. Less cost for construction means bigger house or more property! :D

Or earlier retirement! :yes:

Oh, I did forget one thing: One compelling reason why I would build rather than remodel is to build a "green" house. It's always cheaper to do it with new construction.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
Because my hubby works for the government as a controller, he can retire at 50 which is in 3.5 years. :D We want our house built before then. I'm soooooo looking forward to him retiring. Except that we'll probably flip houses (you know buy a house then fix it up and sell shortly thereafter?) and keep busy volunteering as well. Hopefully there will be time to travel. That's another reason why we want a brand new house. Much less upkeep so there IS time for other things.

Oh and Madd....I forgot to ask. Are there neighborhoods with model homes you could go look at? That way you'd have the best of both...a new home that's already built or one built by a known contractor in a neighborhood already established. You could ask for references of neighborhood purchasers to get an idea of the reliability and work ethics in general of the contractor.

I guess basements are pretty standard back east huh? It's very rare to see one out here, especially in new construction. But, I like the idea of being able to convert a basement into an apt. for the kids or any family member.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Booko said:

Oh, I did forget one thing: One compelling reason why I would build rather than remodel is to build a "green" house. It's always cheaper to do it with new construction.

You mean as an addition to the house itself, or one outside the house on the property?
That might be a good idea too...though I hesitate since my thumb is blacker than the ace of spades :cover:

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
So, here's the one my husband likes from that site:
http://www.houseplans.com/plan_details.asp?id=13042&st=13
17-568e-4334.jpg

lizskid

BANNED
As a former real estate broker, I can tell you that building can be a very stressful situation. However, buying and remodeling isn't much better. I would give your current market a look, online or however, and then decide....timing is everything. Also, if you think you will be there a long time, think about doing some stuff for yourself, like putting the laundry on the same floor as the bedrooms, definitely a basement if you are going to have kids, etc. You may also want to look in to whether or not any area has the kind of lot you are looking for right now.

You know, it's all personal taste and needs, I have a 3100 sq ft without a single step in it, except two on the deck leading to the pool-all one story stretched out. It has a formal dining room that we turned into an office and 4 bedrooms, one of which is a craft room/office for my room mate. I like the plans you showed becuase the room sizes are nice...that is really important, to not chop up the space into small pieces, because you will feel cramped regardless of how big it is. My bedroom is as big as many living rooms 22x22, and the living room and family room are huge...but you can about anything with them!

Good luck with your search, if I can help, just PM!!!!

Booko

Deviled Hen
MaddLlama said:
You mean as an addition to the house itself, or one outside the house on the property?
That might be a good idea too...though I hesitate since my thumb is blacker than the ace of spades :cover:

Uh...I mean "green" as in energy efficient? Solar panels, passive solar, etc etc.

Although since you mentioned green as in landscaping, there are a few simple rules you can use to make your house more efficient heating and cooling wise. The biggest is this: Put evergreen trees on the north side of the house, and deciduous trees on the south side of the house.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Booko said:
Uh...I mean "green" as in energy efficient? Solar panels, passive solar, etc etc.

Although since you mentioned green as in landscaping, there are a few simple rules you can use to make your house more efficient heating and cooling wise. The biggest is this: Put evergreen trees on the north side of the house, and deciduous trees on the south side of the house.

Oh! Man now I feel like an idiot. :eek:

I am hoping that whatever I choose I can do with SIP's which are very energy efficient, and I meant to look into solar energy. Is it possible to combine solar with regular sources of energy, or is it really just one or the other.

lunamoth

Will to love
MaddLlama said:
Oh! Man now I feel like an idiot. :eek:

I am hoping that whatever I choose I can do with SIP's which are very energy efficient, and I meant to look into solar energy. Is it possible to combine solar with regular sources of energy, or is it really just one or the other.

It is possible to use solar as supplamental. Also, upstate NY is not the greatest place for solar power as an option, unfortunately. You might be able to get some energy that way but you will also need electric or gas, etc..

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
lunamoth said:
It is possible to use solar as supplamental. Also, upstate NY is not the greatest place for solar power as an option, unfortunately. You might be able to get some energy that way but you will also need electric or gas, etc..

Can I siphon off some methane from the Hudson River? :D