• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Building bocks, Chemicals and Life

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"You do not even know what a "So what?" argument is."

Dat is cowect sur. mi iqu is only tirtysix. I tink it is wong fur yu tu pik on peepl lik mi. o_O
No, one only makes themselves appear that way when they refuse to learn from their mistakes. As I said, you do not lack intelligence, but for some reason you resent that others known more than you do. You can always learn too. No one is stopping you and many would help you.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, sorry. It does not work that way. Now you could have asked how you were ignorant in a post. But if you want to claim that someone's ignorance is causing them to give bad answers the burden of proof would be upon you.

Why didn't you ask how you demonstrated your ignorance?

No, sorry. It does not work that way. Now you could have asked why everything you post is ignorant. But if you want to claim that someone's ignorance is causing them to give bad answers(which you did)the burden of proof would be upon you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
JWST is already changing several things. Hopefully great things are to come.
It is likely to tell us a lot more about the formation of the universe. And we will almost surely find more exoplanets using it. But I doubt if it will answer any questions involving Fermi's Paradox.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, sorry. It does not work that way. Now you could have asked why everything you post is ignorant. But if you want to claim that someone's ignorance is causing them to give bad answers(which you did)the burden of proof would be upon you.
Don't be a sore loser. Why not try to learn whenever the opportunity arises? You don't have to resent others simply because they know more than you do. You could learn how to look up things for yourself.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, one only makes themselves appear that way when they refuse to learn from their mistakes. As I said, you do not lack intelligence, but for some reason you resent that others known more than you do. You can always learn too. No one is stopping you and many would help you.

"As I said, you do not lack intelligence"

Really??? Where did you say that at? I must have missed it among where you are accusing me of making ignorant posts.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"As I said, you do not lack intelligence"

Really??? Where did you say that at? I must have missed it among where you are accusing me of making ignorant posts.
I have told you that multiple times. I am not digging up such minutia for you.

Why do you take it so personally when obvious errors are corrected?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If life is as likely to emerge as some people hope, I expect to see biomarkers within the next decade.
That may happen. But the telescope itself is in the infrared range, if I remember correctly, so any electronic signals would not e picked up by it. And it appears that the OP was referring more to intelligent life. Not just life itself. That is why I said that it would not likely address the Fermi Paradox.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Prove it with evidence or its false. That's the rules bucko!
No, I do not fret over the past failures of those that I debate against. It is off topic, you took us here. I will respond to questions about the OP. That you can demand.

And no, the saying is not "prove it with evidence or its <sic> false". Please try to get your basic arguments right. Sheesh.

We Never Know

No Slack
If life is as likely to emerge as some people hope, I expect to see biomarkers within the next decade.

We can only hope and that would be very exciting not to mention bring about things that at this point seem non-existent.
But me being around a decade from now would be exciting too lol

Heyo

Veteran Member
I would say that taking our one planet as a data point, I know not much to extrapolate one. we will find the intelligent life that was able to even make a peep outside of your Solar System has existed for only about 100 years. Before then we gave no sign of our existence. And that is over a 4.55 billion year history of the planet. I would say that intelligent life is probably very very rare from our one experience.
There is this idea, I don't know who came up with it, to use time on Earth instead of multiple planets to gestimate probabilities. With that method, the possibility for life is very high. Life arose basically as soon as it was possible. Then it stayed mono-cellular for 3 billion years, making multi-cellular life about a quarter as likely as life over all. And the possibility to detect a technological civilisation about 1 in 40 million of all planets where life could emerge.

We Never Know

No Slack
There is this idea, I don't know who came up with it, to use time on Earth instead of multiple planets to gestimate probabilities. With that method, the possibility for life is very high. Life arose basically as soon as it was possible. Then it stayed mono-cellular for 3 billion years, making multi-cellular life about a quarter as likely as life over all. And the possibility to detect a technological civilisation about 1 in 40 million of all planets where life could emerge.

"1 in 40 million "

With approximately 10^25 planets that orbit stars, the odds seem favorable.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

And that can pretty much explain the Fermi Paradox. If interstellar travel is impractical then there will be no "aliens". That leaves long distance communication. And that appears to be very difficult to do. With odds like yours there may be only a few intelligent lives that come into existence in a galaxy. And they are unlikely to exist at the same time if intelligence does not guarantee long term survival. And even if it did the distance problems may make even detecting intelligent life an impossibility.

With all of the odds against intelligent life, and the problems with distance I do not see any paradox in a lack of communication.

Heyo

Veteran Member
"1 in 40 million "

1 in 40 million of those planets on which life could emerge - and we don't know much what percentage that may be.
And we are far away to detect planets outside of the milky way.
The currently promoted solution to the Drake equation is about 30. I'm not so optimistic and would put it at around 1.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"1 in 40 million "

Where did you get that figure from? There are about 100 billion stars in our galaxy. I have no idea at all how we would communicate with distant galaxies. We obviously could not do two way conversations.

We Never Know

No Slack
1 in 40 million of those planets on which life could emerge - and we don't know what percentage that may be.
And we are far away to detect planets outside of the milky way.
The currently promoted solution to the Drake equation is about 30. I'm not so optimistic and would put it at around 1.

I look at it like this.. We are here and we think we are pretty advanced and we became that way from no life to the present in 5 billion years, with huge advances in only the last few thousand years, even though we are around 9 billion years behind much of the universe.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I look at it like this.. We are here and we think we are pretty advanced and we became that way from no life to the present in 5 billion years, with huge advances in only the last few thousand years, even though we are around 9 billion years behind much of the universe.
Are we? As far as we know it takes generation one stars to form habitable planets. They aren't around for that long.

We Never Know

No Slack
Are we? As far as we know it takes generation one stars to form habitable planets. They aren't around for that long.

I thought our sun is a third generation star. Its been around for around 5 billion years.

Edit... With around 10 billions years left go.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I thought our sun is a third generation star. Its been around for 5 billion years
Astronomers are weird in that way as they count backwards. Their first generation stars are those which formed from exploded second generation stars. Silly nomenclature, possibly for hysterical reasons.