• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhists: Leave a Post

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Scarlett Wampus said:
I owe an awful lot to the influence of Buddhism and certain Buddhists but its unlikely I'll ever want to become a Buddhist myself. That would change if there was a Buddhist community locally accessible to me rooted in something like Thich Nhat Hanh's fourteen precepts of Engaged Buddhism.
Pretty much in agreement with SW. Buddhism seems more "true" to me than any other religion I've studied (and I've studied a lot), but it also seems to encourage withdrawal over engagement. And as long as it's not socially engaged it does not fully speak to me as truth. Perhaps that's an attachment on my part. I'm willing to live with the consequences. In the meantime I'm just a UU with Buddhist leanings.

finalfrogo

Doc said:
Well it's not too hard. I don't believe in any deity or higher power but I also acknowldege that a definite answer to the question of supreme being cannot be proven either way. Let's just say that I don't see God as an impossibility.

Isn't that just agnosticism?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
finalfrogo said:
Isn't that just agnosticism?
Agnosticism is an epistemological stance. It's the position you take on whether it's possible to know whether or not God exists. It is not a position on whether or not God exists, only the possibility of the knowledge of such. So, you can be agnostic and atheist, as Doc is. Or you can be agnostic and theist (actually panentheist) as I am. Or you can be atheist and not agnostic, meaning that you believe you can be certain that God does not exist. Or you can be theist and not agnostic, meaning that you believe that you can be certain that God does exist.

HopefulNikki

I would say I relate more to simple Deism than Buddhism, but Buddhist concepts/teachings make a lot of sense to me, and I'm trying to read more Buddhist writings to familiarize myself with it better.

I'm also a fanatic, devout follower of Andy Roddickism :D :yes: , but that's probably not related...

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
I would say I relate more to simple Deism than Buddhism, but Buddhist concepts/teachings make a lot of sense to me, and I'm trying to read more Buddhist writings to familiarize myself with it better.

I'm also a fanatic, devout follower of Andy Roddickism :D :yes: , but that's probably not related...

Andy Roddickism.............what an intriguing religion! Say, you didn't happen to see his Saturday Night Live performace, did you? It was quite inspiring, to say the least. :faint: :D

Peace,
Mystic

HopefulNikki

MysticSang'ha said:
Andy Roddickism.............what an intriguing religion! Say, you didn't happen to see his Saturday Night Live performace, did you? It was quite inspiring, to say the least. :faint: :D

Peace,
Mystic
Need you even ask? An event that monumental in the history of Andy Roddickism is like the Christian equivalent of the resurrection!:yes:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
Need you even ask? An event that monumental in the history of Andy Roddickism is like the Christian equivalent of the resurrection!:yes:

Monumental, yes! Especially when your lord Andy himself insisted, "I don't eat poop!" :biglaugh:

Peace,
Mystic

koan

The Bhodisatva ideal of mahayana, including Zen, Is not to attain paranirvana untill every being has attained enlightenment. So one must not totally withdraw so as to show (not teach) the way;)

Ozzie

lilithu said:
Pretty much in agreement with SW. Buddhism seems more "true" to me than any other religion I've studied (and I've studied a lot), but it also seems to encourage withdrawal over engagement. And as long as it's not socially engaged it does not fully speak to me as truth. Perhaps that's an attachment on my part. I'm willing to live with the consequences. In the meantime I'm just a UU with Buddhist leanings.
This suggests to me you understand attachment at an intellectual level. Running away from social engagement does not negate attachment.