• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Buddhists] Hinayana originated from mahayana?

Ekanta

om sai ram
The usual version is that hinayana is the original buddhism and mahayana originated a few centuries after. But this professor gives a different verion. In the beginning there were no difference in the basic teaching but different meditation manuals and teachers borrowed from teach other, thus (at that time) everyone called themselves mahayana. It was only later when the separation happened that we find the name hinayana. So it appears the hinayana was a school that wanted to separate itself, just as the others did.

Ok the video is 20 min. But if you are interested in buddhism I think its worth it. I listend to it 2 times myself.
What do you think?

The Origins of Mahayana Buddhism

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
The usual version is that hinayana is the original buddhism and mahayana originated a few centuries after. But this professor gives a different verion. In the beginning there were no difference in the basic teaching but different meditation manuals and teachers borrowed from teach other, thus (at that time) everyone called themselves mahayana. It was only later when the separation happened that we find the name hinayana. So it appears the hinayana was a school that wanted to separate itself, just as the others did.

I think you'd need to look for the origin of the hinayana / mahayana / vajryana classification.

Ekanta

om sai ram
The funny thing is just that they apparenty were all called mahanyana at the beginning. Not that hinayana (as we mean today) developed out of mahayana (as we mean today).