• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist Theology

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes, the Buddhist scriptures contain references to God, but from what Ive seen, only to deny God.

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...101720-buddha-not-silent-god-metaphysics.html

However, Id be very interested to see which passages you refer to which differ from mine.

Those are some interesting objections to theism. Though my personal theistic notions don't really go against what is being said. The objections seem to be much more against theism than non-theism, objections more against a personal type god. I also saw some mention against the notion of a dualistic type reality of substance and non-subtance.

A reverence for nature is not against buddhist philosophy. I am able to agree with all the objections posted and still maintain a pantheistic view. In fact I have argued many of those points in these forums. Good stuff.

Tathagata

Freethinker
Those are some interesting objections to theism. Though my personal theistic notions don't really go against what is being said. The objections seem to be much more against theism than non-theism, objections more against a personal type god. I also saw some mention against the notion of a dualistic type reality of substance and non-subtance.

A reverence for nature is not against buddhist philosophy. I am able to agree with all the objections posted and still maintain a pantheistic view. In fact I have argued many of those points in these forums. Good stuff.

Yes, I'd concede that out of all theisms and atheisms, Pantheism is one of the closest to Buddhism.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I agree with this. I use non-theist to represent a non-personal god while not exactly atheism.

Cheers... Just noticed you quoted me here :)
(Wish I could get the Staff to add 'quote notification' to the software so I knew when I was quoted)

I use non-theist pretty open in an open ended way.
Rather than even saying 'personal vs non-personal',
I prefer to make it into to more of a 'I would rather refrain from the conversation and dichotomies and just BE w/ my experience and how/what I assign label wise.'

Paththeism probably is closest to my own way of experiencing.
Yet I could also explain why panentheism works for me too if given the time/space to explain. (this isn't a request or asking anyone to ask me, seriously)

I DO believe in God.... but not how it's Theistically defined if you follow me?
An Atheist Theist???? LOL??? perhaps....

Anyways... that is how I use non-theism.

It's not yes, it's not no, it's not I don't know/can't be sure...
It's just plain, don't care to dispute labels as it takes away from our time here when we can REALLY be learning and experiencing.

:namaste

idav

Being
Premium Member
Nontheism covers a range of concepts regarding spirituality and religion which do not include the idea of a theistic God or gods. It can be applied to atheism (both strong and weak), agnosticism, ignosticism, apatheism and pantheism, as well as to certain Eastern religions including Taoism, Buddhism and some Hindu traditions, and to some Wiccan other Neopagan traditions. Nontheism is an integral part of Humanism and Unitarian-Universalism.
Portal:Nontheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes, I'd concede that out of all theisms and atheisms, Pantheism is one of the closest to Buddhism.

Certainly the naturalistic versions of Pantheism are very close to worldview of Buddhism. Once people start going further with spiritual aspects and other attributes of god/creator it would begin to diverge from the sayings of Buddha that you referenced.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Cheers... Just noticed you quoted me here :)
(Wish I could get the Staff to add 'quote notification' to the software so I knew when I was quoted)

I use non-theist pretty open in an open ended way.
Rather than even saying 'personal vs non-personal',
I prefer to make it into to more of a 'I would rather refrain from the conversation and dichotomies and just BE w/ my experience and how/what I assign label wise.'

Paththeism probably is closest to my own way of experiencing.
Yet I could also explain why panentheism works for me too if given the time/space to explain. (this isn't a request or asking anyone to ask me, seriously)

I DO believe in God.... but not how it's Theistically defined if you follow me?
An Atheist Theist???? LOL??? perhaps....

Anyways... that is how I use non-theism.

It's not yes, it's not no, it's not I don't know/can't be sure...
It's just plain, don't care to dispute labels as it takes away from our time here when we can REALLY be learning and experiencing.

:namaste
Fair enough. I can understand not wanting to put labels on it all but it is useful when trying to get at differences for discussion. As long as we can agree on how to use the word which seems like half the challenge a lot of times.