• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist monk was attacked

Jumi

Killed for one's faith in odium fidei. I doubt the leopard had it in for Buddhists specifically.
If it was specifically that, not following imperial protocol for religious reason as has been said would also be like choice. They would not be martyrs then with the lions? (not sure if that's what historically happened, but speculating) The penalty the same for a barbarian who didn't follow the (notably unjust) law.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
If it was specifically that, not following imperial protocol for religious reason as has been said would also be like choice. They would not be martyrs then with the lions? (not sure if that's what historically happened, but speculating) The penalty the same for a barbarian who didn't follow the (notably unjust) law.
It's not wrong to die for a just cause. Being killed for refusing to renounce your faith isn't the same as permitting a passing-by animal maul you to death. Not doing anything to preserve your life for no other reason than to show the world just how detached you are isn't a cause I'd call noble or just. It is certainly not a martyrdom. It's just a senseless tragedy.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's not wrong to die for a just cause. Being killed for refusing to renounce your faith isn't the same as permitting a passing-by animal maul you to death. Not doing anything to preserve your life for no other reason than to show the world just how detached you are isn't a cause I'd call noble or just. It is certainly not a martyrdom. It's just a senseless tragedy.

why would the monk even care what others think of him when he died? buddhism is theaching to not harm other living beings. and to not have attachments to what others think of you

Shad

Veteran Member
A few days ago i got the news that a Thai buddhist monk died during meditation when a leopard attacked him. If i understood this correct the monk did not defended him self but kept meditation until he passed away.

Personally i think the monk kept calm because of his meditation practice. And probably did he not get afraid when it happend.

Any thoughts?

A foolish exercise of will over instinct.

Jumi

They're both internal dialogues, refusal to act in the way of how the world demands. I think they're much the same. Both refuse the way out for a religious ideal and zealous display. I believe you don't consider the Buddhist monk's idea of what that is as anything great, but for your own religion it is different. For the believer it's different.

Shad

Veteran Member
There is always that photo of the Buddhist monk burning himself alive in protest of persecution that comes to mind...

A protest which involved humans thus sympathy and empathy is far different than becoming lunch. Still a waste in my view but one of a lesser extend

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A protest which involved humans thus sympathy and empathy is far different than becoming lunch. Still a waste in my view but one of a lesser extend in my view.

The monk who got killed did not mean to be killed when he sat down, ofcourse he did not mean to do so. But in buddhism we understand that non voilance is the right path to take. And i know the monk was not a young person who did not understand, H was one of the senior monks who understood that his life was going to end, because you can not win over a leopard when it attack. Therefore he would keep his mind calm and accept the outcome of this.
Buddhist monks has no worldy ties like a non monk can have. To understand buddhism and the way of thinking like a buddhist there is only two ways to understand and thatis to study the scriptures and both study scripture and being a buddhist.

This is the monk who died

Attachments

• _104761747_tigermonk.jpg
    _104761747_tigermonk.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
why would the monk even care what others think of him when he died? buddhism is theaching to not harm other living beings. and to not have attachments to what others think of you
It is because I affirm the dignity of life (including human life) that I find any pointless abandonment of it appalling.

Look, I get it. If you're committed to the doctrine that conscious existence is a burden and thus an attachment to be overcome then seeing the late monk's death as an example of heroic detachment makes sense. It's not that I don't understand; it's that I don't agree with the premise. A premise which taken to its logical end leads to things like this:

Sokushinbutsu - Wikipedia

Last edited: