• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist monk was attacked

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A few days ago i got the news that a Thai buddhist monk died during meditation when a leopard attacked him. If i understood this correct the monk did not defended him self but kept meditation until he passed away.

Personally i think the monk kept calm because of his meditation practice. And probably did he not get afraid when it happend.

Any thoughts?

danieldemol

Premium Member
A few days ago i got the news that a Thai buddhist monk died during meditation when a leopard attacked him. If i understood this correct the monk did not defended him self but kept meditation until he passed away.

Personally i think the monk kept calm because of his meditation practice. And probably did he not get afraid when it happend.

Any thoughts?
I would not have thought any less of the monk had he speared the leopard

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That's probably the story that the temple released to the world, when in fact, the monk died screaming and kicking.

But we'll never know for sure. All we have is our faith...

Why say he was scr
I would not have thought any less of the monk had he speared the leopard

A monk never cary weapon to defend him self. And it is not wrong action to kill an animal acording to buddhism and monk rules

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
If he'd been at it for years, or many lifetimes, he would have already transcended the idea of death. It's merely the physical body, not who he really was anyway. Time for a new shirt.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In buddhism and specially in the temple it is strict to follow the vow and if example a monk is lying and the other monks understand this the monk who lie can be disrobed and no longer a monk. Truthfulness in buddhism is seen as highly moral values and a monk has no reason to tell lies. even to protect others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Truthfulness in buddhism is seen as highly moral values and a monk has no reason to tell lies. even to protect others.
That is a wonderful goal.
But alas, people fall short of goals.
And accounts of events might unwittingly be embellished.
Good story nonetheless.
I prefer it to what actually happened.

danieldemol

Premium Member
A monk never cary weapon to defend him self. And it is not wrong action to kill an animal acording to buddhism and monk rules
If it’s not a wrong action to kill an animal why not carry a spear or other suitable weapon if there is known danger of leopards?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If it’s not a wrong action to kill an animal why not carry a spear or other suitable weapon if there is known danger of leopards?
Actually leopards are extremely rare right now in Thailand with the exception to some very specific areas of the country. Primarily due to poaching that had decimated the population.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Actually leopards are extremely rare right now in Thailand with the exception to some very specific areas of the country. Primarily due to poaching that had decimated the population.

So the take away here is that if you are going to meditate in Thailand, meditate in rabbit country--not leopard country.

David1967

Premium Member

Any thoughts?

I'm sure the leopard appreciated the easy meal.