• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism and daily life

No*s

Captain Obvious
How does being a Buddhist in a Western society work out? I imagine it can be difficult.

Doc

Space Chief
Well I dont consider myself a Buddhist yet but I am studying Buddhism. I kind of keep it to myself and anyone who happens to find out about it or ask about it. I don't find any difficulty in it even though people give me strange looks when I say I am studying it. They ask, "So do you like smoke incense and hum to yourself all day?"

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Like Doc, I don't call myself Buddhist, but am I committed to following the Noble Eightfold Path. It gives me a sense of direction and something to fall back on when I feel lost. I haven't really told anyone outside of you guys, it's something I keep private, because, again like Doc, I would be faced with a lot of misunderstanding that, at this point in my study I don't know if I'm really to deal with.

It can also be hard in that Western society is so focused on material wealth and being "successful" that it can be really distracting sometimes to staying centered on what is really important.

Master Vigil

Being buddhist to me is much like being taoist. And the way I see it, is not just living, going throughout your day just doing what you're supposed to do. Going to class, going to work, etc... But actually living consciously and vigil. All of the buddhists I have met, do exactly that. And they don't keep it private, not sure why. But they will bow to anyone they meet, they will talk to anyone, and really respect everyone they come in contact with. It's quite fantastic. They really do walk the walk.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
It depends of course on which form of Buddhism one practices. Some of the different traditions emphasize monastic practice, which is not easy to integrate into US society as a lay practitioner. Some of the Mahayana schools, such as Pure Land, Zen/Chan, and Nichiren, are focused on lay practice for the majority of members. This isn't really difficult at all (been doing it for almost 25 years now). I still go to work, cut my grass, watch TV, etc. Very little different from my neighbors in most respects.......

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Thank you very much. I have changed jobs, and needed to convince the IT folks that this site should be allowed through the firewall.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
Being buddhist to me is much like being taoist. And the way I see it, is not just living, going throughout your day just doing what you're supposed to do. Going to class, going to work, etc... But actually living consciously and vigil. All of the buddhists I have met, do exactly that. And they don't keep it private, not sure why. But they will bow to anyone they meet, they will talk to anyone, and really respect everyone they come in contact with. It's quite fantastic. They really do walk the walk.

I wish I could muster the strength to be totally committed to following the Noble Eightfold Path as Maize is; there are a couple of of principle I have to work on rather hard. I'm sure I'll get there one day.:)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
One thing that I ran across today on a blog is in regards to translation. Rev. Ryuei (A Nichiren Shu minister) feels that the word "samyak" ("Right" in the titles of the eight components of the Eightfold Path) is much more closely translated into english as "whole" or "complete". Thus instead of "Right View" which generates the concept of "Wrong View" and sets up a duality, it is much more accurate to call this concept "Whole View" or "Complete View". This applies to all eight, of course.

The blog in question is here:
http://www.fraughtwithperil.com/blogs/ryuei/