• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism and belief in realms

willy1590

I was just wondering in Buddhism if the hell realms or Naraka as I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) are something that are real, I mean Reincarnation make sense to me but being put in hell does not, do any sects not believe in this torment?

-Thanks

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was just wondering in Buddhism if the hell realms or Naraka as I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) are something that are real, I mean Reincarnation make sense to me but being put in hell does not, do any sects not believe in this torment?

-Thanks

From what I practice, hell is the torment of the mind not physical torment. Our karma or merits from good or bad deeds does not "die" and is not a spirit but continues until we have full understanding of the nature of life (enlightenment) and become Buddhas.

It's not metaphorical, just the understanding of Hell is different in Buddhism than it is in, say, Christianity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

-Thanks
Hell is real, but that does not mean that it is a physical or eternal place. It is a mental state.

Although I should point out that to the best of my understanding reincarnation is not a belief that may be made to fit with Buddhism, either.

von bek

In my POV, the hellish and heavenly realms are as real (whatever you think that word means) as our own.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

In the suttas of the Pali Canon beings are described as reappearing in different realms according to their actions, which is basically describing kamma.

Here is an example from MN135:

"Here, student, some man or woman kills living beings and is murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings. Because of performing and undertaking such action, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, even in hell. But if on the dissolution of the body, after death, he does not reappear in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell, but instead comes back to the human state, then wherever he is reborn he is short-lived. This is the way, student, that leads to short life, namely, one kills living beings and is murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings."
https://suttacentral.net/en/mn135

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

-Thanks

There are no substantial realms to speak of in light that all phenomina and manifestations of forms remain empty.

Physical and mental voilation essentally references various states by which each respective realm is identified and experienced accordingly and depicted as being such.

Like various intensities involving pain or pleasure, happiness or sadness, each comes and goes very naturally as that of the realm where each manifestion arises and falls. Realms are useful depictions of a vast array of experiences by which they are traversed and noted overall. They are indeed real, yet there is no substance by way of permanence, much like the weather.

Storms, real as they are, come and go. "0)