• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddha went to heaven, what does it mean?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Does it mean?
Buddha would have not gone to the heavens to meet his mother:
  • If Buddha had not considered it worthwhile and Buddha would have not given it full consideration
  • If Buddha had not believed in heaven
  • If Buddha had not believed in afterlife
  • If Buddha had not believed in reward for the good-people and punishment for the wrong doers
  • This could not happen if Buddha had not believed in ONE to judge the people
Right? Please
Regards

The thread has been conceptualized from following posts:
#113 paarsurrey
#115 LuisDantas
#116 paarsurrey
One may like to read these posts

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It shows 'ignorance' of Eastern thought. There is neither heaven nor Buddha (all things come to pass, technically 'all forms are but combinations of 'skandhas', conditions'). When conditions change, the thing ceases to exist.

Paarsurrey, I do not think you can understand Hinduism or Buddhism. Confine yourself to Abrahamic religions.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It shows 'ignorance' of Eastern thought. There is neither heaven nor Buddha (all things come to pass, technically 'all forms are but combinations of 'skandhas', conditions'). When conditions change, the thing ceases to exist.

Paarsurrey, I do not think you can understand Hinduism or Buddhism. Confine yourself to Abrahamic religions.
Tell me......... please.
Is that how the Buddha would have answered Paasurrey's question?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Does it mean?
  • If Buddha had not considered it worthwhile and Buddha would have not given it full consideration
  • If Buddha had not believed in reward for the good-people and punishment for the wrong doers
Right? Please
Regards
My first wife was very close to Buddhism.
I shut out the world and just asked her for her answer.
She answered that Buddha was always in heaven, regardless of all around.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My first wife was very close to Buddhism.
I shut out the world and just asked her for her answer.
She answered that Buddha was always in heaven, regardless of all around.
What did she answer about the points mentioned in the OP?:

Please
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tell me......... please.
Is that how the Buddha would have answered Paasurrey's question?
He already did. Here is the detail:

"When a group of ascetics came and asked the same question from certain disciples of the Buddha, they could not get a satisfactory answer from them. Anuradha, a disciple, approached the Buddha and reported to Him about their conversation. Considering the understanding capacity of the questioners, the Buddha usually observed silence at such questions. However in this instance, the Buddha explained to Anuradha in the following manner:

'O Anuradha, what do you think, is the form (Rupa) permanent or impermanent?'
'Impermanent, Sir.'

'Is that which is impermanent, painful or pleasant?'
'Painful, Sir.'

'Is it proper to regard that which is impermanent, painful and subject to change as: 'This is mine; this is I, this is my soul or permanent substance?'
'It is not proper, Sir.'

'Is feeling permanent or impermanent?'
'Impermanent, Sir.'

'Painful, Sir.'

'Is it proper to regard that which is impermanent, painful and subject to change as 'This is mine, this is I, this is my soul'?'
'It is not proper, Sir.'

'Are perfection, formative tendencies and consciousness, permanent or impermanent?'
'Impermanent, Sir.'

'Painful, Sir.'

'Is it proper to regard that which is impermanent, painful and subject to change as: 'This is mine, this is I, this is my soul?'?'
'It is not proper, Sir.'

'Therefore whatever form, feeling, perception, formative tendencies, consciousness which have been, will be and is now connected with oneself, or with others, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near; all forms, feelings, perceptions, formative tendencies and consciousness should be considered by right knowledge in this way: 'This is not mine; this not I; this is not my soul.' Having seen thus, a noble, learned disciple becomes disenchanted with the form, feeling, perception, formative tendencies and consciousness. Becoming disenchanted, he controls his passion and subsequently discards them.'

'Being free from passion he becomes emancipated and insight arises in him: 'I am emancipated.' He realizes: 'Birth is destroyed, I have lived the holy life and done what had to be done. There is no more birth for me.'

'What do you think, Anuradha, do you regard the form as a Tathagata?'
'No, Sir.'

'O Anuradha, what is your view, do you see a Tathagata in the form?'
'No, Sir.'

'Do you see a Tathagata apart from form?'
'No, Sir.'

'Do you see a Tathagata in feeling, perception, formative tendencies, consciousness?'
'No, Sir.'

'O Anuradha, what do you think, do you regard that which is without form, feeling, perception, formative tendencies and consciousness as a Tathagata?'
'No, Sir.'

'Now, Anuradha, since a Tathagata is not to be found in this very life, is it proper for you to say: 'This noble and supreme one has pointed out and explained these four propositions:

A Tathagata exists after death;
A Tathagata does not exist after death;
A Tathagata exists and yet does not exist after death;
A Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death?'
'No, Sir.' "
What Buddhists Believe - Does the Buddha Exist After His Death?
Google

That people do not understand what Buddha said is another thing. Not to have a continuation of existence is frightening for people of Abrahamic faith, it is difficult even for Eastern people, that is why belief in re-birth. Buddha, however, was clear about it.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That people do not understand what Buddha said is another thing. Not to have a continuation of existence is frightening for people of Abrahamic faith, it is difficult even for Eastern people, that is why belief in re-birth. Buddha, however, was clear about it.
I have tried to explain before that this is not necessarily the case for Christians. Its possible that a future set of Buddhists could be like modern Christians but still call themselves Buddhists, what with all the confusing terminology and shifting of meaning over time. Its true that most Christians today are more similar to Muslims in terms of beliefs about heaven. It does not mean that all Christians have always believed that way, nor do Buddhists always use plain terminology either. Are you familiar with Pureland? "It was once thought that the Pure Land existed far off in the Western sky and still there might be some older Pure Land sects who believe in this error. This belief originated from the Pure Land sutras themselves." -- from here. Don't keep shooting at Christianity like you have the only path to enlightenment. You also have a path that can lead to corruption if you aren't careful and if you don't take warning. No scripture is strong enough to guarantee a blessed future.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What did she answer about the points mentioned in the OP?:

Please
Regards
I would have loved to receive such detailed answers. My first wife died in 1991.

sovietchild

Do you think those religions are extreme or something?

Fisher

hidden manipulator
Does it mean?
Right? Please
Regards

#113 paarsurrey
#115 LuisDantas
#116 paarsurrey

If one believes in after life - he'll gain knowledge that there will be an after life. But knowledge in here always is set to decay.

In eternity there exists a hole in which all things are set to decay. No one knows it because knowledge comes from facing decay.

What recognition doesnt come from knowledge to care about one self?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

Why? He hasn't shown any deeper understanding of Christianity, Judaism or Bahai. Of course, he hasn't really shown any real understanding of just anything about which he has posted.

I guess one should at least admire his consistency.

buddhist

Does it mean?
Right? Please
Regards

#113 paarsurrey
#115 LuisDantas
#116 paarsurrey
Just as Lord Buddha went to the Tavatimsa heaven to teach the Dhamma to his mother (who had been reborn as a goddess), Lord Buddha is also recorded as going to the Brahma heaven to teach Dhamma to the god Baka Brahma, namely to correct his "evil viewpoint" that he and his heaven were "constant, permanent, eternal, and total". (MN 49)

"Heaven" does not necessitate the existence of "ONE to judge the people".

Last edited:

sovietchild

No. Both Hinduism and Buddhism are very mild, very accommodating of different views. Abrahamic religions are marred by exclusivity, 'my way or you die or suffer eternally'.

Shouldn't you welcome him to your religion instead of telling him to restrict to Abrahamic religions?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Shouldn't you welcome him to your religion instead of telling him to restrict to Abrahamic religions?

If you were more familiar with the op you would understand how and why he has earned the antipathy of so many on the forum.

MonkeyFire

Belief paves the trail from suffering to salvation. It creates history, and the future at the same time.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hindus are not aggressively evangelistic. Those who like the Hindu philosophies, do join Hinduism on their own.
Indeed, we're not that welcoming of people who don't fit in. Terrorists, rapists, child molesters, thugs, bandits, idol smashers, and a host of others need not apply.

buddhist

Indeed, we're not that welcoming of people who don't fit in. Terrorists, rapists, child molesters, thugs, bandits, idol smashers, and a host of others need not apply.
Hindus are not aggressively evangelistic. Those who like the Hindu philosophies, do join Hinduism on their own.
I think we in the Dharmic religions in general basically shrug our shoulders, as everyone is already seen as part of the operation of Dhamma, and because the Laws of Reality already apply to everyone. It's just that some choose to go "downwards" in their spiritual journeys, and others choose to go "upwards".