• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Buddha Consciousness"

Hexavibrongal

Soulmaster
What does this mean exactly? I've wondered if it's analogous to my conception of God; sort of an eternal consciousness that pervades all things? What did Buddha say about this?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
It's a term I'm not directly familiar with; where did you run across this term?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Buddha consciousness, as you call it, is what is given many names in Buddhism, although Buddha-nature is probably the one most used. Buddhists believe that what we consider real is just a delusion, and and illusion, because we see things based on improper beliefs about what constitutes reality. The only thing that can said to be real is Buddha-nature, or tathagatagarbha. This Buddha-nature is in all things. The Buddha-nature is our true self, while what we perceive to be "I" is just delusion based in ignorance.

Hexavibrongal

Soulmaster
I think Buddha-nature is probably what I mean. I'll do some research on that. I've just heard the term around, it may be some Internet vernacular.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What does this mean exactly? I've wondered if it's analogous to my conception of God; sort of an eternal consciousness that pervades all things? What did Buddha say about this?

I'm familer with the term having been used while referencing the skandhas (AKA aggregates) in Buddhist terminology. It's commonplace however to use the Pali term "Vijnana" found in the Sutta Pitaka respective with Theravada Schools.

Any other attributed meaning is just plain nonsense as far as Buddhism is concerned.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I think Buddha-nature is probably what I mean. I'll do some research on that. I've just heard the term around, it may be some Internet vernacular.

"Buddha-consciousness" is more a New Age term, like "Christ-consciousness". I think a similar idea is attempting to be conveyed, however, I don't know enough about New Age ideas to give a definitive answer on that.