• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broken/Sprained Ankle

evearael

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a broken or sprained ankle? I took my daughter to the playground and failed to notice some steps. There aren't any bones obviously poking out. I'm just doing the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment until I eat my lunch and get through to my ob/gyn for instructions.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh geeeez, eve! That's awful and the last thing you need right now.

How swollen is it?
Can you walk on it at all?
Do you have Ask A Nurse in your local yellow pages?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
If it was broken badly, you wouldn't have to ask. It could be a sprain or a hairline fracture or something of these nature. Either way, you'll be okay in a few weeks. :)

evearael

Well, my husband ran home with our daughter, brought the car to me and iced my ankle immeadiately, so the swelling is light (thank goodness!). I cannot walk on it and pressure is very painful, though I able to move my foot around if I feel like suffering. I agree, Djamila, if it is broken then it is only a hairline fracture. I just really don't want to go to the doctor if I can avoid it... I am pregnant, so I do NOT want an x-ray and I can't take most pain meds. There is also the matter of dragging our toddler with us to the doctor for however many hours. *Groan*

Buttercup

Veteran Member
evearael said:
Well, my husband ran home with our daughter, brought the car to me and iced my ankle immeadiately, so the swelling is light (thank goodness!). I cannot walk on it and pressure is very painful, though I able to move my foot around if I feel like suffering. I agree, Djamila, if it is broken then it is only a hairline fracture. I just really don't want to go to the doctor if I can avoid it... I am pregnant, so I do NOT want an x-ray and I can't take most pain meds. There is also the matter of dragging our toddler with us to the doctor for however many hours. *Groan*
Hmm. Well, you are probably going to have to have it x-rayed if it's so painful you can't walk on it. Not sure what will happen when your doctor calls but my guess is he will say to perhaps wait until tomorrow and if it's not better to have it x-rayed. Or, he may want you to go in today. He'll know if an x-ray is safe or not.

Keep us posted and enjoy being waited on in the meantime. :)

lizskid

BANNED
I missed a curb one time in college and thought I had sprained mine....not much swelling, lots of pain, etc. Eventually, we figured out, through xray, it was broken, it seems a small piece of bone had been pulled off by a tendon as it overstretched from my fall. Hang in there, I hope you get good news, although with an ankle, it won't be fun either way. At least once we knew it was broken, I could get a walking cast and do stuff.

jacquie4000

Well if it makes you feel any better I sprained my ankle once and boy did it swell up. So hopefully it is just a sprain. Take it easy girl.

Booko

Deviled Hen
evearael said:
You'd rather it was a hairline fracture, actually. Sprains often take longer to heal.

Even a hairline fracture would likely swell a lot more, though. One way to tell is to put something like Ben Gay on it. If the pain doesn't decrease at all -- you've got a fracture not a sprain. (That's how I figured out I had cracked ribs once. :eek:)

Keep the ice on for the first couple of days -- no heat.

Keep it elevated.

STAY OFF IT! Limp to the bathroom and bed. No more than that.

Get a cane if you have to. Absolutely tape it or wear an Ace bandage.

Some herbal possibilities to help if it's a sprain:

- Arnica (comes in cream or gel usually -- I recommend Nelson's Arnica gel if you can find it -- go to a health food store or probably GNC has it)

Find a pill or capsule formula that includes either of these:

- Passiflora (passion flower)
- Valerian (will make you a little sleepy -- especially good an bedtime)

You can use all of these natural methods alongside anything else with no danger or interference.

If you can take any antiinflammatories (pain relievers except for Tylenol/acetamenophen) then just stay on them.

AVOID:

Caffeine and turmeric. They increase pain and caffeine will prevent flushing toxins out from the injury site.

USE:

Ginger. You may not be able to do this until you get to the "apply warmth" phase in a few days, but if you can find some powdered ginger in bulk, soak your ankle in warm ginger water. Stinks like mad, but it does help. :) If you can't find powdered, you can finely grate fresh ginger. Well, you can just eat the ginger, if you're brave enough to do that. Oh -- what am I thinking? You can get ginger drops -- they aren't too bad, and powdered ginger in capsules.

lunamoth

Will to love
evearael said:
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a broken or sprained ankle? I took my daughter to the playground and failed to notice some steps. There aren't any bones obviously poking out. I'm just doing the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment until I eat my lunch and get through to my ob/gyn for instructions.

Oh gosh! Sorry to hear about this Leonne, and I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure your doc will guide you on the best course of action. 'till then, prayers for healing headed your way.

luna

evearael

Well, my ob isn't in the office and the on-call thing I got referred to was for emergencies only, so I'll call again in the morning. This is just frustrating. I really appreciate all your warm wishes. :)

Trust me, I will not do anything that can make this worse! I need to be functional as soon as possible for my daughter because my husband can't take off of work. I'm going to steer clear of all medications and herbal remedies, except for that ginger soak since I already know I'm allowed ginger in modest quantities. :) I'm not allowed any anti-infamitories.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is most likly a hairline fracture, as sprains tend to swell up like a balloon. If that is the case, on a foot, go to a doctor for a foot brace to keep the bones aligned (you don't want to have it rebroke to have it reset), and keep off your feet for awhile.

lizskid

BANNED
I forgot to tell you that I walked/limped/crutched on mine for 2 weeks before someone figured out it wasn't sprained. Please take care, it cost me extra time in the cast. Keep it up, up, up! More prayers!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Do go to the doctor and get it checked out!

I had a level 3 sprain in my ankle this summer- which should have been casted but the hospital wanted my bed for a cocaine user that had just been arrested. Go figure!

evearael

Alright... I talked to a gymnastic's coach friend of mine and he says it looks like a sprain and to not do anything that hurts. I hope my ob is in the office today to give me further instructions because otherwise I will have to wait for the weekend to get this checked (there is no way I can drive a manual like this). It's more bruised than swollen and I can limp around a lot more effectively than yesterday. I'm still going to take it easy today since my beloved is here to pick up the slack.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
About 4 years ago I badly sprained my ankle. I was thought for sure it broken, it hurt so bad. But the x-ray showed it wasn't. I still have trouble with that ankle to this day because I didn't stay off it as long as I should have. So, don't do what I did, stay off it as much as possible! :hug: