• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breakdown of the Tao Te Ching - 1

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
Chapter 1:
The Way that can be experienced is not true;
The world that can be constructed is not real.
The Way manifests all that happens and may happen;
The world represents all that exists and may exist.

To experience without abstraction is to sense the world;
To experience with abstraction is to know the world.
These two experiences are indistinguishable;
Their construction differs but their effect is the same.

Beyond the gate of experience flows the Way,
Which is ever greater and more subtle than the world.

The above is the first chapter of the Tao Te Ching. I'm interested in engaging in a chapter-by-chapter breakdown of the text in order to explore its philosophico-spiritual underpinnings and to bring to fore our individual understandings of this beautiful and bizarre text.

It is my intent to create threads wherein we can discuss, chapter by chapter, the entire Tao Te Ching, in order to foster critical examination and thorough inspection of the text.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
A common alternative translation of the first two lines is "The Tao which can be spoken is not the eternal Tao/The Name which can be named is not the eternal Name."

Both translations make it clear that any discussing one does about the Tao will be necessarily incorrect. The general theory is, it seems to me, that the Tao is beyond capturing in language. We have no reason, however, to take this assertion on faith. Why is it that the Tao would be beyond language? Language is a powerful device with an infinity of expressive possibility. Our notion of infinity is that it extends-without-end, and thus it should encompass everything.

Mathematics, however, presents the notion of different MAGNITUDES of infinity. Language, being as it is built up of discrete entities (words) to form further discrete entities (sentences), in a process that can be compounded a discrete number of times, is capable of what is called a COUNTABLE infinity of arrangements. That is, using words the number of possible ideas conveyable is equivalent to the number of Natural numbers (1, 2, 3, etc), but LESS THAN the number of Real numbers (those numbers existing on a continuum, including the Natural numbers, fractions, and all decimals, including non-repeating, non-terminating numbers such as pi).

If we accept the notion of the Tao as flowing across all things, that very notion of "flowing" suggests a continuum. The Tao, then, would logically be unbindable by language, for it expands past the information set expressible by language.

The first stanza of the translation presented above conveys slightly different meaning, it seems. It begins by separating the Way--tied to experience--from the world--tied to construction. There is here a separation between the motion of the universe and that which performs this motion, a separation between nouns and verbs. In both sides of this separation, though, there is this declaration of impossibility. I would say that the impossibility suggested does not stem from the inherent impossibility of experiencing the Way or constructing the world, but rather from the semantic fact that the verb forms "can be experienced" and "can be constructed" imply a subject doing the experiencing and constructing. Later in the text, the understanding of the falseness of the ego becomes clear, but this is the first hint thereof.

It is clear that it is impossible to experience something unless one is separate from that something, at the very least in scale. The Way, then, is inexperienceable because we are, inherently, the same as the Way, without separation or border. The world is unconstructable because the constructing agents is the world, simultaneously and without separation.

The conclusion of that first stanza reaffirms this notion. The Way is everything manifest, the world is everything represented. It should be noted that even that which is impossible is contained by the Way and the world, because even the impossible "may happen" and "may exist," if only the rules governing the possible change (rendering the notion of "impossible" obsolete).

The next stanza is one of my favorites. We see here a beautiful separation that resolves itself into a state wherein dichotomized entities are resolved into a single identity. Experience with and experience without abstraction are understood as identical endeavours. When we experience without abstraction, we have direct access to the phenomena which we experience, which gives us total understanding of those phenomena. When we experience with abstraction, we have a theoretical understanding of the motion and mechanisms of the phenomena in question, in which case we can still (theoretically) achieve total understanding of the phenomena.

This stanza also hints at themes of unity present throughout the text. What appear, initially, to be entirely separate ways of experiencing the world are, indeed, the same. They are simply different ways of approaching the same end.

The final couplet is an enigmatic piece of poetry. What I get from this is an expression of the over-arching presence of the Way. To say what the Way is would be inherently incorrect, as discussed earlier, but we do know that it is "greater and more subtle than the world." The world, understood as those constructed objects which are the positive-space Yang of our reality, stand on top of and against the Yin that is space. I think it is fair to assume, given the later themes of harmony, that Laozi would not have understood the Yin to be "greater" than the Yang (although perhaps, admittedly, more subtle), and as such we realize that the Way is something greater than the might of the Yin and the mystery of the Yang.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Great thoughts wmjbyatt. Who is behind that translation? Its very abstract and precise. I like it but my favourite overall translation has the first chapter thus:-

The Tao that can be talked about is not the true Tao.
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

Everything in the universe comes out of Nothing.

Nothing---the nameless
is the beginning;
While Heaven, the mother
is the creatrix of all things.

Follow the nothingess of the Tao,
and you can be like it, not needing anything, seeing the wonder and the root of everything.

And even if you cannot grasp this nothingness,
you can still see something of the Tao in everything.

These two are the same
only called by different names

---and both are mysterious and wonderful.

All mysteries are Tao, and Heaven is their mother:
She is their gateway and the womb-door.

Although its philosophical expression is simplistic, crude even, I love the language used here. Its partly because it expresses more than abstract concepts. It has an experiential and emotional dimension. The feminine principle which was so vital in early Taoism is represented, so is its basic mystical tradition & teaching as a living thing.

I think your conclusions about what is behind the apparent language skepticism of the first chapter are excellent by the way. I am fairly sure that if you've not hit the same nail on the head that was intended then you've hit a better nail on the head. :D

Heh - I was just noticing how many references there are to nothingness in the translation I posted then a Seasick Steve song just started playing: :jam: "I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left"