• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahmamuhurta

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been waking up before Brahmamuhurta (the time of Brahman) for about two years now, as this time of day is considered to be auspicious.

My practices have varied slightly over the past couple of years, but they have evolved to currently waking up at 3:40am each day, brushing my teeth, shaving (now optional), taking care of calls of nature, showering and meditating.

I have a good bit of more time as of late (hence the optionality of shaving), so my plan is to replace checking emails and daily numbers with doing some asanas.

Do you recognize Brahmamuhurta? What is your practice?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Its something to strive for some day, but not now.

Life can be challenging. I have two kids that have special needs, and a toddler. One of those children takes up about 70% of my time each day with various shenanigans. I often find myself mentally exhausted by the end of the day. I don't really have help or support, other than asking the kids to occasionally help out with each other(the 7 year old made the toddler a cup of chocolate milk, and the oldest caught the 7 year old when he ran outside and I was unable to leave the restroom). I feel I come out in pretty good spirits, and weather everything well, but the one form of self care I am adamant I engage in daily is getting enough sleep, regardless of what hours its at. Right now we're trending late to bed and late to rise.

I do have a morning routine, for what its worth. Before I start getting everyone up for breakfast, I say a simple prayer to Ganesh, do Surya Namaskar(I know the timing isn't perfect, but Surya always seems cheerful enough to see me at any hour), and japa.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Bow towards my shrine (Butsudan).
Sitting meditation (Zazen).
Walking meditation (Kinhin).
Bow towards the butsudan.
Prostrate three times towards the butsudan.
Bow towards the butsudan.

No set times, but it won't be 3.40 a.m. !

Very nice!

What time do you typically do these?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Life can be challenging. I have two kids that have special needs, and a toddler. One of those children takes up about 70% of my time each day with various shenanigans. I often find myself mentally exhausted by the end of the day. I don't really have help or support, other than asking the kids to occasionally help out with each other(the 7 year old made the toddler a cup of chocolate milk, and the oldest caught the 7 year old when he ran outside and I was unable to leave the restroom). I feel I come out in pretty good spirits, and weather everything well, but the one form of self care I am adamant I engage in daily is getting enough sleep, regardless of what hours its at. Right now we're trending late to bed and late to rise.

I can only imagine how challenging that must be. I was a single parent for 7 years with just one child. I can't imagine how it would be with three, two of them special needs. You have my admiration and respect.

Kinda makes one wonder about the real reason why Brahmamuhurta is considered auspicious. Perhaps because the tykes are still asleep? ;)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Very nice!
What time do you typically do these?

(Sorry if you were you meaning only morning practices)

No set time. I think the only "criterion" would be not soon after a meal. Ideally, first thing in the morning but life stuff gets in the way; eg putting the bin out trumps enlightenment :D

"You should meditate in a quiet room, eat and drink moderately, cut all ties, give up everything, think of neither good nor evil, consider neither right nor wrong. Control mind function, will, consciousness, memory, perception and under-standing; you must not strive thus to become Buddha. Cling to neither sitting nor lying down. When meditating, do not wear tight clothing. Rest the left hand in the palm of the right hand with the thumbs touching lightly; sit upright, leaning neither to left nor right, backwards nor forwards. The ears must be in line with the shoulders and the nose in line with the navel; the tongue must be held lightly against the back of the top teeth with the lips and teeth closed. Keep the eyes open, breathe in quickly, settle the body comfortably and breathe out sharply. Sway the body left and right then sit steadily, neither trying to think nor trying not to think; just sitting, with no deliberate thought, is the important aspect of serene reflection meditation."

- Dogen.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
(Sorry if you were you meaning only morning practices)

No set time. I think the only "criterion" would be not soon after a meal. Ideally, first thing in the morning but life stuff gets in the way; eg putting the bin out trumps enlightenment :D

I had to read that four times before I realized you didn't mean Trump's enlightenment. :confused:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm so far north that the time from summer solstice to winter solstice varies by nearly 4 hours. (from as early as 5 to as late as 9) So to start my puja, or preparation by that would mean watching closely every day, and I'm not that disciplined. About 9 days out of 10, perhaps more, I start right around 7, (I split the difference) plus or minus 5 minutes. Preparation stats at 6:30. The sankalpa varies from ushah kala (just before dawn) to pratah kala (just after dawn) and I change that with the seasons, but am not that specific. It's always been 'my time'.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can only imagine how challenging that must be. I was a single parent for 7 years with just one child. I can't imagine how it would be with three, two of them special needs. You have my admiration and respect.

Kinda makes one wonder about the real reason why Brahmamuhurta is considered auspicious. Perhaps because the tykes are still asleep? ;)

I am, fortunately not, a single parent currently, though I did have to do that for awhile with the eldest. It isn't fun, no doubt.

My husband is a great breadwinner, and we generally get along but he is...well, less than helpful with the kids. Today I described him as "the fire to his firecracker" in reference to the 'spirited' child... Sometimes it is like adding a 4th child to the mix... Its usually more productive to ask the 14 year old for help(though he has his own issues to be dealt with as well).

I've wondered about that being the reason for Brahmamuhurta as well... probably the only time anyone can get any peace and quiet.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I've been waking up before Brahmamuhurta (the time of Brahman) for about two years now, as this time of day is considered to be auspicious. Do you recognize Brahmamuhurta? What is your practice?
Brahma muhurta is a bit too early. It will disturb all others. We go to bed late. My wife has difficulty in getting to sleep. But I am up and have my tea before 7.
My admiration to Just George.
@Dagon, old people need less sleep.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Brahma muhurta is a bit too early. It will disturb all others.

Living alone does make it much easier to accommodate waking early. But I've been doing this so long, I wake on my own up to 10 minutes before my alarm most days. I'm usually in bed by 9pm.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Moreover, I have no rituals, no prayers, no meditation. Past all that. Completely enlightened, 'Pacceka Buddha'.
Enlightenment has its own problems. What do you do next? :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Can you show me a picture of your shrine and set up and explain everything that is on / in it and what it means to you in particular?
It has a statue of the Buddha, and holders for a candle and for incense. Hopefully the reason for the statue is self-evident :) . A candle can represent the light of the Buddhist teaching. Fragrance can represent the teaching pervading the world. Both can be a reminder of impermanence.
463A84ED-3D71-4132-AC32-47C4B9C57D31.jpeg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It has a statue of the Buddha, and holders for a candle and for incense. Hopefully the reason for the statue is self-evident :). A candle can represent the light of the Buddhist teaching. Fragrance can represent the teaching pervading the world. Both can be a reminder of impermanence.
Bare minimal, I like it. I do not have even that. Buddha sits in my heart. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m a fan of the minimalist approach as well when it comes to shrines. This is mine.

xmgjN6G

Last edited: