• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Body Heat and Coffins

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A Vedanta Q&A I was just listening to mentions a swami that lived in the Himalayas that would climb into a coffin to stay warm when he was too cold. I thought to myself that there was no heat source, so his body must have generated enough heat to impact the ambient air temperature in the coffin. That lead me to this question:

How much does heat generated by the body impact the ambient temperature of a small enclosure such as a coffin? And yes, I understand the insulation value of the area would impact the ability for the enclosure to retain any heat the body produces, so let's just say a typical coffin that has the lining you would find for sale in a typical mortuary.

How cold could it get outside the coffin where you could generate enough stabilized heat while lying inactive to prevent hypothermia from setting in? Or would the temperature continue to drop at a steady pace as the ambient air temperature equalized?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ah ha! another trivia question

The average adult body produces about 350 btu per hour or about 100watts

Compared with..
Some years ago during some power strike or other, the uk government recommend moving into the bathroom and lighting a candle which would increase the temperature in the room by about 1c per hour.
A candidate produces about 80 btu per hour.

What heat would escape the coffin, ??? Sorry i do know that one though there will be a calculator online for heat loss through a specific area of material.... I think

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ah ha! another trivia question

The average adult body produces about 350 btu per hour or about 100watts

Compared with..
Some years ago during some power strike or other, the uk government recommend moving into the bathroom and lighting a candle which would increase the temperature in the room by about 1c per hour.
A candidate produces about 80 btu per hour.

What heat would escape the coffin, ??? Sorry i do know that one though there will be a calculator online for heat loss through a specific area of material.... I think
But now we can do an experiment to see if one could stay comfortable. Put a lamp in the coffin that has an old fashioned 100 watt bulb in it. Add a thermometer. You can get rather inexpensive thermometers with Bluetooth. You will only have to worry about minor heat losses from the power cord. That would probably be negligible. See how the coffin reacts to various temperatures.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
A Vedanta Q&A I was just listening to mentions a swami that lived in the Himalayas that would climb into a coffin to stay warm when he was too cold. I thought to myself that there was no heat source, so his body must have generated enough heat to impact the ambient air temperature in the coffin. That lead me to this question:

How much does heat generated by the body impact the ambient temperature of a small enclosure such as a coffin? And yes, I understand the insulation value of the area would impact the ability for the enclosure to retain any heat the body produces, so let's just say a typical coffin that has the lining you would find for sale in a typical mortuary.

How cold could it get outside the coffin where you could generate enough stabilized heat while lying inactive to prevent hypothermia from setting in? Or would the temperature continue to drop at a steady pace as the ambient air temperature equalized?
Seems to me that the actual coffin itself would make a huge difference.
For example, a plain pine box would lose heat rather quickly.
Now this one, on the other hand:
Royal-Grace-Custom.jpg

Would not lose heat as fast because of the lining.
And I am sure that you can get custom linings that would be even more sufficient at insulation.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member